Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help with ipod!!!

Help with ipod!!!
dark2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 09:48 PM

Yea i just got my ipod few days ago, and was so excited to use it, but when i tried to plug it in and download music, it said drivers are not found or something. then i checked out a lot of sites and message boards and finally download a drive or whateva that is, then now my ipod is stuck on " DO NOT DISCONNECT" i have a windows 98 so i know i cant download i tunes, but i have winamp ( which i downaloaded hoping it would help ) and wmv....when i went to wmv and there i clicked on copy music to cd or device....i saw g disk drive( for ipod). In that drive is only like notebook, contacts and calenders....and i can download songs, but my ipod is on do not remove mode nonstop and then i eject it and see but there is nothing on my ipod...man i am really pissed right now....i need some help on this...thanks

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 10:59 PM

I'm sorry, but you are seriously running in the dark ages with Windows 98! Time for a new machine with Windows XP. You need iTunes to access the iPod in order to download music on it, and those WMV files won't play on it either, sounds like you need a ZUNE...

----
Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- Eric

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2006, 11:00 PM

First, BREATHE!!! Second, work on sentence structure-it's awfully hard to figure out what your problem is or why you ran into it.

Winamp DOES support iPods, so you're making progress there-as long as you use the iPod Support plugin.

Now the crux of the matter: without Apple's driver software, your Win98 computer cannot "see" the iPod as anything but an external drive. You need to install this driver (which may not be compatible with Win98) in order for your iPod to do what you want it to and be an easy to use music player.

But for the cost of any video iPod, you can buy an XP-capable PC, so maybe you need to step back a bit and get the computer before you get all upset that the iPod isn't working with your equipment. The minimum requirements for the software are clearly listed, so it shouldn't have come as a really big surprise that you'd have problems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dark2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 11:24 PM

Oh..lol...so thats why my ipods acting stupid. i just dowloaded a few plugins and now i can copy songs to my ipod. The ipod is still displaying the " DO NOT DISCONNECT " icon and i dont think the songs went to my ipod though. Anything else i can do?Thanks for your help.
( Last edited by dark2006; Oct 30, 2006 at 11:41 PM. )

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 10:16 AM

By chance, if you right click on the iPod drive in "My Computer" does it perhaps list a disconnect option in the menu?
- Eric

dark2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 10:29 AM

Yea i tried that, but all it shows up in my ipod drive are notes, calender and contacts. Shouldnt there be like music, videos and all that stuff too? But anywayz, it can only eject and after my ipod restarted, it brings me back to the same old menu ( DO NOT DISCONNECT )
( Last edited by dark2006; Oct 31, 2006 at 10:30 AM. Reason: small mistake)

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 04:51 PM

You won't see any of the music located on the iPod itself when connected to the computer. What your seeing is what your supposed to only see when connected. The only way to access the music and videos stored on the iPod is though iPod compatable software.

You need to find out how to properly disconnect the device from your computer. When using iTunes per say you can just click on the eject icon, even in XP you can click down on the taskbar and disconnect it.
- Eric

dark2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 07:29 PM

Hmm. The problem is, i dont have xp, i am stuck in the dark ages...lol...with windows 98! But you think i should eject it? I did that from clicking to mycomputer and gdrive or something then my ipod goes blank and it starts again just to have that Do not disconnect sign on my face...lol....But anyway where can i download the ipod compatable software? thanks for your help though man

ipodGuru
Baninated
Nov 1, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dark2006 View Post
Yea i just got my ipod few days ago, and was so excited to use it, but when i tried to plug it in and download music, it said drivers are not found or something. then i checked out a lot of sites and message boards and finally download a drive or whateva that is, then now my ipod is stuck on " DO NOT DISCONNECT" i have a windows 98 so i know i cant download i tunes, but i have winamp ( which i downaloaded hoping it would help ) and wmv....when i went to wmv and there i clicked on copy music to cd or device....i saw g disk drive( for ipod). In that drive is only like notebook, contacts and calenders....and i can download songs, but my ipod is on do not remove mode nonstop and then i eject it and see but there is nothing on my ipod...man i am really pissed right now....i need some help on this...thanks
iPod has two disconnect screens. They let you know when it is safe to unplug iPod from your computer's USB or FireWire port. Incorrectly disconnecting iPod while it is in use can damage data on iPod, or the computer's hard disk.

The first screen appears when you connect iPod to the computer.

"Do not disconnect" screen.

As long as iPod is connected to the computer, and you have not ejected it from the Finder or iTunes, the "Do not disconnect" screen appears.

more

Zolved - Zearch community results - Technical support for computers, laptops, MP3s, cell phones, PDAs, wireless networks, game consoles and digital cameras

dark2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 07:57 PM

hey, thanks a lot ipodguru. I think i got it fixed though, in a different way. But man, i am hella happy with my ipod right now. Oh yea thanks for all your help guys.

dark2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 05:06 PM

One more thing. I cant seem to load the videos up. All i hear is the sound and no picture. What should i do?

Forum Links
Forum Rules