Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Replace Zip with DVDR

Replace Zip with DVDR
Barney2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 07:48 AM

I have a G4 Yikes machine. Is it possible to install a DVD player in the space of my empty zip cradle??
My existing Cd area contains a CD reader & writer.
Barney�

tr
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 12:05 PM

you can do it probably, but it's going to take some metal work the bracket that holds the CD/zip drive is meant to hold a CD/DVD up top, and a zip drive on the bottome (the lower portion has a narrower opening sized just for zips).

you might want to try a forum search, or check out xlr8yourmac.com and search there. i know someone posted pics on how to get dual drives. it wasn't pretty, though, lots of dismantling and cutting.

tr

Dapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: Down by the baaaay, where the watermelons grooooooww
Feb 7, 2003, 01:37 PM

If the Mac had a standard drive cage, we wouldn't have to worry about it.
</flameyrant>

But, seriously. Some PC towers come with 8 5.25" drive bays. I say, get with the program, Apple! I want >2 drive bays!

(For the curious, I have a DVD-ROM, a 52x CD burner, and a status LCD faceplate. I like my 5.25" drive bays.)

Oh yeah, the topic. Hmm. I think you can get an old drive cage from a PC and slap it in if the Apple cage is unscrewable. All you'd have to do is drill a few holes, and vi�la (v�ola?), you'd have a nifty cage.

esworp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 10:33 PM

I removed the zip bay on my Digital Audio and put in a dvd drive in it's place. Not oo much of a hassle; I had to fiddle with the cords coming out of the power supply, as they butted up against the back of the new drive. I don't know about the layout of your box, so YMMV.

Get a dremel! I made the original modification with a flush hackaw, and that _sucked_. I later cleaned things up a bit with a dremel and this was much nicer.

Iy you really wanna be leet, you could take the blank bezel and attach it to you dvd drive tray; For mine, it's hard to reach the eject button on the drive, and the eject key on the keyboard strangely dosnt always make the dvd drive eject. <shrug>. If you used that there dremel, you could easily cut out the part obscuring the buton and use double sided sticky tape of the proper thickness to get the imporvised button to be flush with the reast of the panel.

lemme know how it goes eh?

Barney2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 03:28 AM

Well "esworp" thank you for your advice. But after much research it appears too much metal bracket hacking thus loosing strengh and stability. I Have chickened out :-( and will look at ways if installing DVD into a spare external power box.
Barney�

Forum Links
Forum Rules