Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CodeTek VirtualDesktop 2.0 Beta released

CodeTek VirtualDesktop 2.0 Beta released
mythrndr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2002, 03:11 PM

We've released Beta 1 of version 2.0 today. If you are so inclined, your help in beta testing would be greatly appreciated! This release is in direct response to peoples enhancement requests. You can join the Beta at http://www.codetek.com/php/betamac.php

Thank you!

Jeff

Here is the change log for the beta release:

* Fixed crash of Terminal.app on Jaguar
* Window jitter fixed
* Performance problem on Jaguar Fixed
* Focus follows mouse support
* Unique backgrounds on each desktop
* Classic applications now reside on individual desktops
* The sticky status of individual windows can now be set
* New icon provided by Martin Goneau
* Works with WindowShade
* Clicking on an application in the Dock causes VirtualDesktop to switch to the desktop it is on
* Individual desktop items can be dragged to new desktops
* Hot key for individual window contextual menu
* Bring all windows of an application to one desktop now supported
* Desktop icons are now hideable
* Hide applications to show desktop hotkey
* Pager's window level is now configurable
_
Jeff Thompson
CTO, CodeTek Studios, Inc.
Codetek VirtualDesktop -> The Mac OS X Killer Desktop App - http://www.codetek.com/

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 12:41 AM

I downloaded this and applied for my new beta unlock code, but it never comes.....

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by spiney:
I downloaded this and applied for my new beta unlock code, but it never comes.....
Spiney,

Please try again. There was a problem with our web hosting provider's mail configuration on our server yesterday. It has been resolved.

Thank you!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson
Codetek VirtualDesktop -> The Mac OS X Killer Desktop App - http://www.codetek.com/

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2002, 03:21 PM

Is this going to be a paid upgrade? I just bought 1.4 like 2 weeks ago Just asking because you have to put in a new reg code...

Wow though, this looks like a great upgrade, basically all of my complaints taken care of. I will try it out shortly.

PS: I'm glad to see you redid the web site. Looks a lot better.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2002, 10:27 PM

Hey BillyBob,

Thank you for the compliments on our web site. Our CEO and web developer spent some time trying to figure out how to do it right. I know they are continueing to come up with ways to improve it.

As for the upgade cost to existing customers, its completely free.

Enjoy!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 12:05 AM

Thanks its working now. How does one change the desktop picture? I cannot seem to figure it out.

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2002, 01:16 AM

Spiney,

Right now you have to drag a image file onto the tableview in the Desktops tab. It will be added into the entry for that desktop, and start being displayed.

Let me know if you have any problems. ([email protected])

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 09:43 AM

I think I got it now. I was trying to drag the photo to the small square bottom right of the panel. This definitely does nothing. What I did to make it work was to drag the photo up to the word Default under desktop. This wasn't very intuitive. Also the pictures never show in the little panel at the bottom, so I'm not sure what that does.

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2002, 10:38 AM

Spiney,

The square in the bottom will display the image if you select the row in the applications list. You are not the only one having problems with the applications section, so we will do some work to try and improve it during the beta.

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson

sgrup
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 12:07 PM

problem - i've tried the v2 beta and i'll outline the problems i had at the end of this post, but the worst problem is that i cannot go back to my (paid) v1.2 now. I've tried putting in an old license number i had which was sent to me when i first registered for the v1 beta but i could not find records of a license number for the paid version though i do have the order confirmation email - so now when i try to access any dektop other then the first 2 i get an error saying this is a trial version and only the fist 2 desktops can be used

any suggestions,

the reason than i'm not sticking with the v2 beta for now is:
- Finder menu bar does not display, though other apps menu bars display properly
- Finder icons cannot be seen either
- Finder windows seem to disappear as soon as they are opened, though when i quit VD i can see that the windows are still there
- Clicking on the background does not bring Finder to front

using mac os x v 10.1.4

help would be geatly appreciated since now that i'm used to VD, not being able to use it is causing plenty of frustration (which shows how useful it has been)

thanks,

s

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2002, 01:47 PM

sgrup,

Please send an email to [email protected] if you haven't already. We'll get you your original code!

-Jeff
Jeff Thompson

sgrup
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 02:04 PM

done already

s

sgrup
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 12:03 PM

ok - so the problems with the finder have been sorted out - i had (not surprisingly) not read the 'read me' file which clearly said that i should log out before using the v2 beta after having been using the v1 - mea culpa

now it's my turn to have problems changing the desktop picture - i've tried dragging various graphics formats all over the place in the desktop tab but the desktop pic never changed and the list kept showing default for all my desktops

wrt feature of clicking on an app in the dock and desktop switches automatically - should this feature be an option instead? - I regularly open windows from the same app on different desktops. Previously, cmd-tab and cmd-N would do the job but now i have to drag the window from one desktop to the next each time i want to do this

s

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 11:26 PM

sgrup,

I have released a beta update (B2.1) that allows you to disable app switching. I've also improved how it works. You can download the update directly from http://www.codetek.com/CTVirtualDesktopBeta.dmg.gz

I'll post a topic on here tomorrow that discusses the changes in the new Beta and other such stuff.

Cheers!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson

sgrup
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 05:10 AM

Changing desktop still misbehaves: (OS X v10.1.5, VD v2.0B2.1)

- correct image file name is now displayed next to each desktop but desktop picture itself does not change
- relaunching Finder will change picture but the same picture is then imposed on all desktops
- picture changes according to which desktop i was in when relaunching Finder but as in the above point, all the desktops are changed to the same picture

Also,
Tools panel in Eudora 5.1 does not always display when switching desktops - sometimes it displays only after a few seconds sometimes it does not display at all - never was an issue with v1

s
( Last edited by sgrup; Sep 11, 2002 at 05:45 AM. )

mythrndr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 08:37 AM

sgrup,

Thank you for the update. I'll be working on fixing both of those problems today.

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules