Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Going out of business - source code must go!

Going out of business - source code must go!
Nitride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 10:42 AM

This is the last weekend that the source code to various Mac apps will be available.

After many years as a hobbyist Mac software developer I am moving on.

The full (able to build a working app) source code is available for Tape, MacInstall, Color Bar GUI Widget. You may have heard of these apps or maybe not. They are all Carbon code-based and work on pre-Mac OS X (something Cocoa will never do).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Carbon (or anything non-Cocoa) used to make Mac software. In fact much of Mac OS X is built on top of Carbon, even Cocoa which had nothing like QuickTime, AppleScript and more.

If you want the code get it now. The site will be gone soon and so will the opportunity to get a mid-life Mac app with its source from a former Shareware author. Hopefully someone somewhere will benefit from these examples of Mac software.

ExitToShell() Software

type_r503
Mar 16, 2003, 02:56 AM

I don't understand why you have to defend carbon in order to give away your source?
I be that insane n***a from the psycho ward.

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 02:08 PM

Cocoa is loads better than Carbon.
Luke

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 01:03 PM

Convert, heathen pig!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mythrndr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 01:34 PM

I'll be diplomatic.

Both have their strengths.

Cocoa is excellent for rapid prototyping, and for GUI development. Carbon and/or POSIX/Unix calls, C++ with Standard Template Libraries is considerably faster and potentially more portable for back end work.

If you have code that needs to run often and/or run fast, then I recommend using something besides Objective-C. Personally, I am a strong advocate of Objective-C++.

Some good links:

Optimizing Objective-C

Mac OS X 10.1 November 2001 Developer Tools CD Release Notes:
Objective-C++
Jeff Thompson
CTO, CodeTek Studios, Inc.
Codetek VirtualDesktop -> The Mac OS X Killer Desktop App - http://www.codetek.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules