Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Find by Content Indexing ?

Find by Content Indexing ?
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2002, 11:44 PM

What is it ?
What or how can I benefit from its use ?

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2002, 12:11 AM

Find by Content Indexing makes a record of the contents of the files you have on specified disks. For example, it is helpful when you know certain important data is in a file, you remember some of it but not all, and you don't remember anything about the file.

(126)

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2002, 12:33 AM

It's for Shelock. Helps it search faster. I find it kind of useless though. Haven't used it in years and sherlock works great!
Later
Chuck

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2002, 06:20 AM

Hi.

Hmm...i wonder...
I used to have some problems with rebuilding the desktop....took ages! Then i indexed the main volume on my Tibook ( which took ages too ), but after indexing was complete i did a desktop rebuild and it was back to normal speed!? I have also noticed a speed increase in some day to day tasks like opening windows/palettes etc. after indexing.

Now, i have very little "techknowledge" concerning the innerworkings of a computer, so i can`t really explain it, but my machine certainly got more responsive after the indexing procedure.

Maybe someone can explain or know what happened??

Thanks.
Tom.

Fredo
Senior User
Feb 18, 2002, 11:54 PM

I don't know why it happens, but I think regular indexing helps keep the OS running fast, too. I found that my iMac indexes a lot faster when done regularly. I think I read in one of these links that having games installed really slows down indexing. Tons of game files to index, I guess.
Who are the Brain Police?

posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 19, 2002, 02:19 AM

for example:

i index regularly (maybe once a week) for when my daughter downloads her 'msn' chat crap.

when she goes back to her mother's place i simply open sherlock, type 'msn' & move (almost*) all to trash and empty. *you have to be careful here because office2001 also has stuff labelled 'msn'.

i always keep the msn installer in her folder so she can repeat the exercise later.

i basically only use it for keeping track of all the crap that downloads install: it also shows you relative stuff in the preferences folder for example.

apparently the first time takes forever, but if you do it regularly (as you should with all your maintenance apps) then a couple of minutes/week is not too much of a burden and has some bonuses.

i never use it to find a particular word in a particular document. 'seems like a waste of time.

and i never play games either: just turning on my Mac is enough fun.

posthumanus.

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by posthumanus:
<STRONG>for example:

i index regularly (maybe once a week) for when my daughter downloads her 'msn' chat crap.

when she goes back to her mother's place i simply open sherlock, type 'msn' & move (almost*) all to trash and empty. *you have to be careful here because office2001 also has stuff labelled 'msn'.

i always keep the msn installer in her folder so she can repeat the exercise later.

i basically only use it for keeping track of all the crap that downloads install: it also shows you relative stuff in the preferences folder for example.

apparently the first time takes forever, but if you do it regularly (as you should with all your maintenance apps) then a couple of minutes/week is not too much of a burden and has some bonuses.

i never use it to find a particular word in a particular document. 'seems like a waste of time.

and i never play games either: just turning on my Mac is enough fun.

posthumanus.</STRONG>
You can do that without FBC...

FBC is for searching within documents.
Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>I don't know why it happens, but I think regular indexing helps keep the OS running fast, too. I found that my iMac indexes a lot faster when done regularly. I think I read in one of these links that having games installed really slows down indexing. Tons of game files to index, I guess.</STRONG>
Yeah, its faster when updating, cause it doesn't start from scratch; it updates the index. That's all.

I hate it. I delete it first thing when I get on a new computer.

posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 19, 2002, 09:55 PM

so even without indexing, sherlock knows immediately once i've installed new software and knows where all the bits have gone?

is it linked to the finder or system folder? how does it do this?

and when sherlock does index it takes 5 minutes scrolling through what seems to be the whole software files list. why is this so?

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: posthumanus ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules