Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Vote McCain because...

Vote McCain because...
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 12:39 PM

...we don't need 4 more years of another George Bush. We can't afford to go another term with a President who'll need on the job training and assistance to make the right decisions. Obama is already back-tracking on his national security and economic plans when it's clear the former wouldn't have worked, and the latter isn't likely going to work in the future. We need a candidate that already has a proven record of implementing "change" the right way - not someone who'll keep us in a big-spending, high taxing state while shying away from hard national security battles.

VOTE JOHN MCCAIN - THE PROVEN CANDIDATE FOR CHANGE.

(howzthat for a campaign ad?)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 12:45 PM

OK... So basically you're saying...

Vote for a Republican, because we don't the problems associated with the last Republican government.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
OK... So basically you're saying...

Vote for a Republican, because we don't the problems associated with the last Republican government.
Does it have to be a partisan issue?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 01:11 PM

I think he's saying that Bush's problems were more of an idiot thing than a Republican thing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Does it have to be a partisan issue?
Of course. I think if you're comparing to Bush, you'll find McCain's stance on most the political issues probably a lot closer than Obama's.

And it's not as if Bush or McCain or Obama for that matter would be making the decision themselves.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 01:26 PM

Vote McCain because a vote for Obama is, well, either naive or stupid.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Vote McCain because a vote for Obama is, well, either naive or stupid.
Heh. You're not going to win very many converts with that argument... which I think puts in par in effectiveness as the original post here.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 01:32 PM

This is an ad that should run in battleground states that usually favor Dems.

Congress is controlled by Democrats (which shares some blame) and "conventional wisdom" amongst Democrats is that Bush isn't very smart and wasn't very experience before becoming President.

Of the two Presidential candidates, Obama looks much more to be filling the "Bush" part than McCain.

What I'm saying is that this way of explaining why Obama's lack of experience will hurt that non-republicans can understand and might agree with.

...it would NEVER run though. It would look tacky coming from a Republican campaign.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Of course. I think you'll find McCain's stance on most the political issues probably a lot closer than Obama's.

And it's not as if Bush or McCain or Obama for that matter would be making the decision themselves.
So, you think it's a GOOD idea to put a pair of partisans in the White House with a Democrat house and senate led by a pair of hard partisans?

Obama doesn't have the backbone to oppose them on anything and I don't think he would want to if he did.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
This is an ad that should run in battleground states that usually favor Dems.

Congress is controlled by Democrats (which shares some blame) and "conventional wisdom" amongst Democrats is that Bush isn't very smart and wasn't very experience before becoming President.

Of the two Presidential candidates, Obama looks much more to be filling the "Bush" part than McCain.

What I'm saying is that this way of explaining why Obama's lack of experience will hurt that non-republicans can understand and might agree with.

...it would NEVER run though. It would look tacky coming from a Republican campaign.
It's funny that they use the "more of the same" attack against McCain…to promote two people that march in lockstep with the current and extremely unpopular congress.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 01:38 PM

Here's my ad:

Only one candidate in this election actually knows what it is to suffer.

John McCain…he sucks slightly less than Barack Obama.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 02:04 PM

here's my ad:

Only one candidate in this election actually knows what it is to suffer.

John mccain…he sucks slightly less than barack obama.
that just might work!!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 02:11 PM

McCain-Palin: Because the bottom of our ticket is WAY hotter than theirs!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 02:12 PM

Edit: Nevermind.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
McCain-Palin: Because the bottom of our ticket is WAY hotter than theirs!
Hey! Is that like…a double on-tundra?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2008, 05:28 PM

How about
"Vote McCain... or he will get really, really mad."

OR

"McCain is that dude. POW in da house."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Obama is already back-tracking on his national security and economic plans when it's clear the former wouldn't have worked, and the latter isn't likely going to work in the future.
That right there---recognizing that you were wrong and adjusting to take new information into considering---is a huge part of why Obama is both different and better than Bush*. When has Bush ever changed his mind about anything? Even when it was patently obvious to everyone that he was wrong?

* McCain is also better than Bush.

ewiser
Sep 9, 2008, 05:13 AM

McCain finished at the bottom of his graduating class that's what I want in the White House.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
That right there---recognizing that you were wrong and adjusting to take new information into considering---is a huge part of why Obama is both different and better than Bush*. When has Bush ever changed his mind about anything? Even when it was patently obvious to everyone that he was wrong?

* McCain is also better than Bush.
The problem is figuring out when he is really this and when he is just trying to get elected.

Obama's record is pretty damed liberal. Any move to the right at this juncture seems pretty suspicious to me. Obama hasn't shown much in the way of backbone as of yet and I would tend to believe he will follow his party anyway. So, many "revelations" of his may be moot.

This is how I see it, I'm sure you see it differently. (Yes, I realize McCain has shifted a few of his positions too, and I am just as suspicious of his motivations.)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ewiser View Post
McCain finished at the bottom of his graduating class that's what I want in the White House.
The Naval Academy is a very tough school to get into. Graduating near the bottom is no small thing.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 06:28 PM

The less boring candidate will win, mark my words.

“Building Better Worlds”

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 07:31 PM

The Naval Academy is a very tough school to get into.
And almost impossible for the son and grandson of graduates, who both happened to have been 4 star admirals in the Navy.
Graduating near the bottom is no small thing.
You're just silly. You make me giggle.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 08:20 PM

When has congress ever been popular? I always thought there job was to move as slow as molasses and hence become "do nothing".

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 09:11 PM

The Naval Academy is a very tough school to get into. Graduating near the bottom is no small thing.
You are correct. I have a friend who went through the Academy and it was very tough for him to get in and stay in.

But you think the fact McCain is the son and grandson of retired Navy admirals had anything to do with his acceptance into the Academy? or do you think he got in on merit alone?

<Edit>
Bah. Beaten to the point by some guy across the pond.
</Edit>
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Sep 9, 2008 at 09:24 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 03:35 AM

I think he got in as easy as anyone else like him. It's not like he was the son of a senator trying to get into Yale. Military brass getting their children into a military academy is the nature of the beast.

Of course his family legacy helped him get in, but to say or imply that he only got in on a favor demeans the academy and a whole lotta other children in military families.

Either way, I have yet to find anyone who knew him that said he was not intelligent. Quite the contrary. By all accounts I've read he earned his right to be there as much as anyone.

I would be perfectly willing to read any evidence you have to the contrary.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 04:00 AM

I think he got in as easy as anyone else like him. It's not like he was the son of a senator trying to get into Yale. Military brass getting their children into a military academy is the nature of the beast.

Of course his family legacy helped him get in, but to say or imply that he only got in on a favor demeans the academy and a whole lotta other children in military families.

Either way, I have yet to find anyone who knew him that said he was not intelligent. Quite the contrary. By all accounts I've read he earned his right to be there as much as anyone.

I would be perfectly willing to read any evidence you have to the contrary.
Where did anyone imply that he only got in because of connections? He may well have gotten in on his own merits, but he likely didn't have to. Again, no one questioned his intelligence, only his academic performance. When someone has had as long a professional career as McCain has, how high his class ranking was is pretty irrelevant. The comments of myself and dcmacdaddy were simply a reply to the notion that we should be impressed with his class ranking as the Naval Academy is so hard to get in to. We shouldn't. He did not distinguish himself, by reports personally, militarily or academically as McCain himself has said again and again. To pretend otherwise is silly.

There is enough to find fault with McCain since he began his career in public life. If he had graduated at the top of his class I wouldn't find him any more suitable to be president. The fact that he finished at the bottom doesn't affect my opinion either.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Where did anyone imply that he only got in because of connections?
That's how I took it. Sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules