Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Missing atheist sign found.

Missing atheist sign found. (Page 6)
Thread Tools
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
I tend to feel government shouldn't take a position on religion at all.

So that means no "In God We Trust" on money and no "Religion is a myth" plaques at courthouses.
Government isn't taking any position on religion. The only requirement of government regarding religion is that it doesn't pass laws enforcing any particular religion.

What law was passed requiring anything to do with a nativity scene in a courthouse? Why should you care if there's a nativity scene in a courthouse any more than you care if there's a sign saying 'have a nice day' in a courthouse?

Once again, it you assigning way more meaning to something than even the people erecting it are, and it's you making something you claim to have no belief in, or fear of.. into something you fear.

I don't get it.

I have no problem with either the nativity scene or the atheist sign in a courthouse- who the frig cares? People can put whatever they decide to in a courthouse or govt. building, I don't really care. It's not something to get anyone's panties in a twist about.

The only issue with the atheist sign, is not that it was there, but that it was a silly, preachy 'dump' on something else that was already there.

If gay people were to have a display celebrating gay pride in a courthouse, and some twit came along and put up a sign saying: "Being Gay is stupid. It's a choice. It's wrong" blah de blah, I'd say EXACTLY the same thing. It's just someone being an annoying prick trying to dump on someone else. If that sign were found in a ditch, it wouldn't surprise me. I also wouldn't assume it was necessarily anyone gay who put it there- just sanyone ticked off at some twit that is clearly just trying to stir up ****, and dump on something that other people might enjoy even if they don't.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Again, all over the map. Clearly, it bothers you that a WORD is printed on bills, or you wouldn't feel there's no 'need' for it any more than "Novus Ordo Seclorum'.

Your raving about adding a name is illogical, it's NOT a name, doesn't single out any 'god' and is nothing for anyone (other than a [email protected] who fears words) to waste even a second worrying about.


WHY?

According to your own pseudo-'logic', the word 'God' shouldn't impact you any more than the word 'Indivisible'.

Does it bother you to sing the song "Here comes Santa Claus?" because something you also don't believe in is mentioned?

EITHER should have absolutely the same level of 'not giving a crap' if you were truly as impartial about this as you pretend.

Why do you waste time worrying about the use of words you claim are meaningless to you?
Well, if you don't believe in Allah, you would mind having the words "In God We Trust" changed to "In Allah We Trust", would you? Or would you rather avoid answering a simple yes or no question?

I wouldn't care if they print "In Santa Claus We Trust", "In Allah We Trust", "In FSM We Trust", or "In Easter Bunny We Trust". Actually it would be quite funny to me if they had different bills with random "In <blank> We Trust".

I just don't think government should promote a religious idea or a fairy tale. However, if they had random "In <blank> We Trust", that would be awesome. I'll have "In Quantum Physics We Trust" or "In String Theory We Trust" or "In Nirvana We Trust". Those would be cool.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
It seems to me that Crash cares a great deal about it, too.
Too? So it is just a pretense that you don't care.

Interesting.

So why do you care about a word representing something you claim not to believe in?

Are you this concerned about glowing eyeballs atop pyramids also?
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:23 AM
 
I find a bit disconcerting that you boiling your religion down to semantics and semiotics.

It seems all religious people just want to level the playing field: Atheism is a religion too! Why do you care so much? It's just words!

when all they really do is put down their own beliefs.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Well, if you don't believe in Allah, you would mind having the words "In God We Trust" changed to "In Allah We Trust", would you? Or would you rather avoid answering a simple yes or no question?
I've answered your question already, you just don't read well.

Allah is a name, and singles out a specific religion. That actually WOULD be government endorsing a specific religion. It could never say "In Jesus we Trust" either. If it said anything so specific, you'd actually have a valid REASON to get your panties in a twist over it, as it is, you don't.

It's a bit amazing that you actually don't realize that citing an actual name is an extremely lame 'argument'.

I wouldn't care if they print "In Santa Claus We Trust", "In Allah We Trust", "In FSM We Trust", or "In Easter Bunny We Trust". Actually it would be quite funny to me if they had different bills with random "In <blank> We Trust".
Classic! You just cited a government endorsement of religion as something you wouldn't mind! (Totally exposing that you really don't give a good crap about separation of government and religion, so much as you just have some axe to grind specifically against Christianity!)

No doubt you aren't even swift enough to realize you gave yourself away! Good show!
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I've answered your question already, you just don't read well.

Allah is a name, and singles out a specific religion. That actually WOULD be government endorsing a specific religion. It could never say "In Jesus we Trust" either. If it said anything so specific, you'd actually have a valid REASON to get your panties in a twist over it, as it is, you don't.

It's a bit amazing that you actually don't realize that citing an actual name is an extremely lame 'argument'.


Classic! You just cited a government endorsement of religion as something you wouldn't mind! (Totally exposing that you really don't give a good crap about separation of government and religion, so much as you just have some axe to grind specifically against Christianity!)

No doubt you aren't even swift enough to realize you gave yourself away! Good show!
Isn't it more like

Allah == God
Muhammad == Jesus

If you don't mind Latin words on our money, why would you mind Aramaic words on our money?

So, back to the question. Do you mind changing it to "In Gods We Trust" or "In Allah We Trust"?

Hindus and Greek mythology have more than one God. So Gods would be better.

"In Gods We Trust"
( Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 11, 2008 at 05:41 AM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
when all they really do is put down their own beliefs.
And? It's all either side does. It's all you do.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:34 AM
 
Double Post.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:41 AM
 
Give it up, hyteckit. The logic train left a long time ago, and you weren't on it.

Expressing that you wouldn't mind government printing a statement endorsing a specific religion (complete cluelessness on display) pretty much took you out of any kind of rational discussion on the whole subject.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Give it up, hyteckit. The logic train left a long time ago, and you weren't on it.

Expressing that you wouldn't mind government printing a statement endorsing a specific religion (complete cluelessness on display) pretty much took you out of any kind of rational discussion on the whole subject.
Crash thinks Atheist are preachy. He doesn't think the words "In God We Trust" is being preachy. Haha..

So you are against government endorsing a specific religion?

Great. Get rid of the words "God", "Gods", or "Allah" from our money. Change it to "In United States We Trust".

Another one down.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
 
Monotheism = one God
Polytheism = many Gods
Atheism = no God

Let's promote all three, so no one gets left out.

Monotheism = "In God We Trust"
Polytheism = "In Gods We Trust"
Atheism = "In No God We Trust"

There you go. We can have all three.

I think most Atheist would be cool with if our money has all three of those sayings.

PS: Words are not meaningless.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:54 AM
 
How about "In God(s) We May Trust"? I think that ought to cover it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 05:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
How about "In God(s) We May Trust"? I think that ought to cover it.
Haha... for the agnostics. Hehe.. alright. We can have that too. But I suggest "I don't know what to trust".
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
 

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I believe religious people are arrogant.

Most believe in God out of fear. Fear gets people to believe in God.

So religion is not the problem. It's people who have a tendency to believe in God that is the problem. They are easily manipulated through fear.
You've got two or three here who've claimed fear of religion. I can see them as easily manipulated/motivated by it as anyone else.
ebuddy
     
red rocket
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 09:03 AM
 
How about ‘In Money We Trust’? Logical and appropriate to the medium.
     
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
It seems to me that Crash cares a great deal about it, too.
He does; he's just in denial.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Isn't it more like

Allah == God
Muhammad == Jesus

If you don't mind Latin words on our money, why would you mind Aramaic words on our money?

So, back to the question. Do you mind changing it to "In Gods We Trust" or "In Allah We Trust"?

Hindus and Greek mythology have more than one God. So Gods would be better.

"In Gods We Trust"
Muhammad ≠ Jesus
Jesus is considered a prophet by Islam, and Muhammad as the final prophet
     
The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 02:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I have no problem with either the nativity scene or the atheist sign in a courthouse- who the frig cares? People can put whatever they decide to in a courthouse or govt. building, I don't really care. It's not something to get anyone's panties in a twist about.
"Who cares?"

Apparently you care that unless it's government endorsement of religion, it should be left alone. You even made a principled argument that these things aren't endorsements of religion. It sounds like you're approaching this just like the rest of us in fact. Well, we feel differently and reach the opposition conclusion of you. They are government endorsement of religion and should be removed.

"Who cares?"

Anyone in this thread.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Monotheism = one God
Polytheism = many Gods
Atheism = no God

Let's promote all three, so no one gets left out.

Monotheism = "In God We Trust"
Polytheism = "In Gods We Trust"
Atheism = "In No God We Trust"
Not quite. You need an article between "In" and "God." You'll also want to lowercase the g, otherwise it's a proper noun. That usually denotes Jehovah.

Mono: "In a god we trust."
Poly: "In the gods we trust."
Ath: "In no gods we trust."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That's rich coming from someone fresh out of their ban for personal insults.
Huh?!?!

I haven't been banned in years.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I suspect Railroader is trying to make a point. There is no proof that a Christian stole the sign; anyone who *believes* a Christian stole the sign is doing so based on assumptions and "faith".

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a Christian stole the sign; most would not, but I've encountered a few who would. However, it also wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was stolen by the people who *placed* the sign there.
Yup. You said it VERY succinctly and exactly my point.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 07:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Huh?!?!

I haven't been banned in years.
My apologies. Mistook you for doof for a second.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
 
No problem. I'll consider it a bit of a compliment.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,