Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nobel, is it April First?

Nobel, is it April First? (Page 3)
Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I think you will never realize what you actually sound like when you write stuff like this.
What's up with this? What, you think Stu can't defend himself? And the best you can do to respond is copy/paste what I said?

So sad.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
What's up with this? What, you think Stu can't defend himself? And the best you can do to respond is copy/paste what I said?

So sad.
Turtle, thanks for the laugh. Apparently your veiled commentary was a little too subtle for some. Rest assured, I enjoyed it.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 10, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Turtle, thanks for the laugh. Apparently your veiled commentary was a little too subtle for some. Rest assured, I enjoyed it.

"Subtle". Yeah, that's what it was...

Whatever, dude.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2009, 10:54 PM

"Subtle". Yeah, that's what it was...

Whatever, dude.
Too subtle for you ?

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2009, 11:28 PM

I knew it wouldn't last.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2009, 12:12 AM

rock on!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2009, 12:14 AM

shut up.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Yeah. If this wasn't an award rigged for the far left to make partisan politics points off of, Reagan SHOULD have gotten it.
Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded posthumously.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded posthumously.
True.

I meant back when he was alive.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2009, 12:07 PM

This just in: Bernie Madoff awarded Nobel for economics
45/47

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2009, 02:50 PM

Hey, Barry did a lot in those twelve days between taking office and getting nominated....

So, what did Obama do to get the Nobel Peace Prize?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2009, 12:44 AM

I guess he did find it in a box of Cracker Jacks!

On a side note Big O was spotted sporting this shirt today:
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 15, 2009, 10:38 AM

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2009, 12:02 PM

The same way you reconcile the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize was established by the guy who invented dynamite. In other words, you'll just have to deal with the complexity of it.
What does that have to do with anything? And why bring it up?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
The money that funds the Nobel Prize is the result of products that have caused the death of a great many people.
Dynamit Nobel AG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 12:32 PM

Nobel Peace Prize is often awarded for aspirations. That is why Yasser Arafat won a Peace Prize. At the time when he was nominated, the peace talks in Oslo looked very promising.

Obama was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize based on his presidential campaign.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The money that funds the Nobel Prize is the result of products that have caused the death of a great many people.
Alfred Nobel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The erroneous publication in 1888 of a premature obituary of Nobel by a French newspaper, condemning him for his invention of dynamite, is said to have brought about his decision to leave a better legacy after his death.[2] The obituary stated Le marchand de la mort est mort ("The merchant of death is dead") and went on to say, "Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday."
I'm not thrilled at his invention, but much like the inventors of other weapons ( atomic bomb ), they unfortunately realized too late the path they were on, and have ofter worked later to minimize their inventions use.

Also, read this article the other day that I thought was interesting. I've never seen so many people get in a tizzy over a decision by a private institution that has no effect on their own lives. If you've got a problem with it, write your Norwegian congressperson, or, err... whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/op...llor.html?_r=1

The wailing and gnashing of teeth that you hear among Republicans is 68 percent envy and 32 percent sour grapes. Here is an idealistic, articulate young president who is enormously popular everywhere in the world except in the states of the Confederacy, and here sit the 28 percent of the American people who still thought Mr. Bush was doing a heckuva job at the end, gnashing their teeth, hoping and praying for something horrible to happen such as an infestation of locusts or the disappearance of the sun, something to make the president look bad, which is not a good place for a political party to be, hoping for the country to slide into chaos. When you bet against America, you are choosing long odds.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 15, 2009, 01:16 PM

Because the poster questioned the seeming contradiction of how somebody who is running two wars can simultaneously receive the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm calling attention to the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize itself is named after a man who invented one of the most powerful weapons ever used for war. Irony is a bitch, ain't it?

In other words, life isn't black and white. A person who invented dynamite can also make their legacy into a strive for peace, just as a person trying to resolve 2 wars can also be simultaneously working towards peace.

Obviously you are a victim of overly binary thinking, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to explain it to you.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2009, 06:06 AM

It wasn't funded through the building of tunnels, which tnt is used to blast through?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2009, 06:07 AM

Because the poster questioned the seeming contradiction of how somebody who is running two wars can simultaneously receive the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm calling attention to the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize itself is named after a man who invented one of the most powerful weapons ever used for war. Irony is a bitch, ain't it?

In other words, life isn't black and white. A person who invented dynamite can also make their legacy into a strive for peace, just as a person trying to resolve 2 wars can also be simultaneously working towards peace.

Obviously you are a victim of overly binary thinking, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to explain it to you.
Overly binary thinking? You got all that from my post? Wow, you must be smart. And TNT is not one of the most powerful weapons used for war. Spoken from someone who obviously was not in the military.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2009, 07:21 AM

It wasn't funded through the building of tunnels, which tnt is used to blast through?
It sounds more like a military industrial business.
Dynamite Nobel AG is a German chemical and weapons company whose headquarters was based in Troisdorf. It was founded in 1865 by Alfred Nobel.
After the death of his younger brother Emil in an 1864 nitroglycerin explosion at the family's armaments factory in Heleneborg, Stockholm, Nobel founded Nitroglycerin AB in Winterviken near Stockholm.

History of component companies and mergers

* 1865 Alfred Nobel & Co founded in Krümmel near Hamburg.
* 1866 United States Blasting Oil Company founded in the United States
* 1867 Nobel receives patent for dynamite
* 1871 British Dynamite Company founded in Ardeer, Scotland
* 1876 Nobel receives patents for gelignite
* 1876 Société Générale pour la Fabrication de la Dynamite founded in Paris, France
* 1876 Alfred Nobel & Co changes its name to Dynamitaktiengesellschaft (DAG)
* 1877 British Dynamite Company changes its name to Nobel's Explosives Company
* 1880 Dynamite Nobel formed by merging Italian and Swiss companies
* 1886 Nobel-Dynamite Trust Co formed by merging DAG and the Nobel's Explosives Company in the UK

Gelignite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gelignite was used by the Irish Republican Army in Ireland's fight for sovereignty during the Irish War of Independence. Years later it was also used by the Provisional IRA during the early years of their paramilitary campaign against British forces and Loyalist Paramilitaries in Northern Ireland, but was later replaced by Semtex, a much more powerful plastic explosive, supplied by the Libyan government. Unionist terrorists also made use of gelignite, most notably in a series of bombings of water and electrical utility substations occurring throughout Belfast in April 1969.
45/47

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 16, 2009, 06:32 PM

Overly binary thinking? You got all that from my post?
I did get it from your post, yes. It's not hard. You didn't understand the connection, which is probably because of binary thinking. It doesn't make you dumb, it just means you weren't willing to look past your pre-conceptions.

And TNT is not one of the most powerful weapons used for war.
A minor little conflict called World War 1 tells a different story. Over 9 million soliders died in that conflict, a large number of them due to, yes, dynamite. So yes, dynamite was one of the most powerful weapons ever used for war.

Spoken from someone who obviously was not in the military.
Spoken from someone who obviously doesn't know basic historical facts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 16, 2009, 06:40 PM

* 1876 Alfred Nobel & Co changes its name to Dynamitaktiengesellschaft
This sounds like a step backwards in simplicity.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This sounds like a step backwards in simplicity.
No really. Aktiengesellschaft means Incorporated, and is usually abbreviated AG (equiv. to Inc.).

So the name of the company would be Dynamit AG, which is shorter than Alfred Nobel & Co.

-t

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2009, 06:41 AM

I did get it from your post, yes. It's not hard. You didn't understand the connection, which is probably because of binary thinking. It doesn't make you dumb, it just means you weren't willing to look past your pre-conceptions.

A minor little conflict called World War 1 tells a different story. Over 9 million soliders died in that conflict, a large number of them due to, yes, dynamite. So yes, dynamite was one of the most powerful weapons ever used for war.

Spoken from someone who obviously doesn't know basic historical facts.

Uh, just because a lot of people were killed by something doesn't make it powerful. One stick of tnt is most certainly less powerful than a MK-48 ADCAP torpedo. It just means that a lot of tnt was used. If one million people used baseball bats to kill people, then that wouldn't make the baseball bat the most powerful handheld weapon in history, would it?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2009, 08:04 AM

If one million people used baseball bats to kill people, then that wouldn't make the baseball bat the most powerful handheld weapon in history, would it?
This never happened. What's your point?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2009, 09:58 AM

That tnt is not that powerful compared to other things that could be used as weapons.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2009, 12:47 PM

Uh, just because a lot of people were killed by something doesn't make it powerful. One stick of tnt is most certainly less powerful than a MK-48 ADCAP torpedo. It just means that a lot of tnt was used. If one million people used baseball bats to kill people, then that wouldn't make the baseball bat the most powerful handheld weapon in history, would it?
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
This never happened. What's your point?
FBI stats for 2004-2008
Expanded Homicide Data Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2008
Knives or cutting instruments 1,866 1,920 1,830 1,817 1,897
Blunt objects
(clubs, hammers, etc.) 667 608 618 647 614
Personal weapons
(hands, fists, feet, etc.)1 943 905 841 869 861

That tnt is not that powerful compared to other things that could be used as weapons.
At the time of it creation, TNT was the top dog.
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM. )
45/47

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 19, 2009, 02:45 PM

Good grief. This is a really pointless (and completely irrelevant) semantic argument you're trying to make here. First of all, I never said dynamite is THE most powerful weapon ever used for war, I said is is ONE OF the most powerful weapons ever used for war. Reading comprehension much?

Second, historically speaking, my original statement is completely accurate. Good luck trying to convince any historian, military or civilian, that dynamite should not be considered powerful at the time it was in heavy use as a weapon of war, just because more powerful weapons were invented later, long after Alfred Nobel's death.

Third, what you keep arguing has nothing to do with the basic point, which is about the irony of a noted weapons inventor converting his legacy to support peace.

The fact that you keep trying to make irrelevant comparisons further illustrates that you simply didn't understand the point I was making in the first place, and apparently you still don't.

I suspect at this point you're trying to save face rather than make a coherent argument, but you're failing at both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules