Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Overrated

Overrated (Page 3)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2020, 09:45 PM

California

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 18, 2020, 09:22 AM

The Hardon Conservatives Have Against California

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2020, 03:07 PM

I feel California’s biggest problem is the number of people who pretend the desert part isn’t desert.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wright went in such a different direction than Sullivan, I’m honestly not sure what you’re talking about.
I’ll say that I definitely don’t know enough to be discussing with a Chicago native—mostly I almost bought a 1958 house a couple years ago that was designed by an architect who was heavily influenced by Wright, so I went down a few rabbit holes and gained a little more appreciation—and visited a few spots like Fallingwater and some of Sullivan’s buildings I Chicago last year.

I guess it’s more or less prevalent depending on when you parachute into Wright’s career, but I think he really borrowed heavily from Sullivan in some of his basic design statements, although he obviously made them his own.

I suppose if you consider how Sullivan ended up, Wright was prpbably overrated
in comparison I’ll give you that.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2020, 01:13 PM

Well, I’m a sucker for architectural details, and that was Sullivan’s wheelhouse. The buildings themselves are usually just a single box, which makes sense because they’re usually offices.

Wright I feel is the opposite... very little in the way of detail, but structurally complicated. Of course, he was building homes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2020, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The Hardon Conservatives Have Against California
Lots of very green policies and an economy that still works pretty well. No wonder they hate it, it proves a chunk of their belief system to be the obvious bullshit it is.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 12:28 PM

Apparently not going out on a limb with this one.

Cheese dust.

It seems properly rated here, but not by the people determining shelf space at retail.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Lots of very green policies and an economy that still works pretty well. No wonder they hate it, it proves a chunk of their belief system to be the obvious bullshit it is.
Plus, denial doesn't work as well when it's not a faraway place like Norway, Sweden, or Germany. Those might as well be from a fantasy novel.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, I’m a sucker for architectural details, and that was Sullivan’s wheelhouse. The buildings themselves are usually just a single box, which makes sense because they’re usually offices.

Wright I feel is the opposite... very little in the way of detail, but structurally complicated. Of course, he was building homes.
Yeah, I think that’s a key practical difference. I was thinking more in the broad sense of repeating geometrical square/rectangular patterns combined with round elements like those distinctive archways.

Wright only did a couple office buildings, and that was during a later time when construction priorities were significantly different than at/before turn of the century.

FWIW I think the front facade for that music store is my favourite thing by Sullivan. It’s phenomenal.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2020, 04:16 PM

It is!

Friend of mine used to work there when it was an art gallery.

It’s for sale right now if you’re in the market.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2020, 10:05 PM

Hah—how much?

The local FLW-inspired house here ended up going for 20k more than we bid. Thing is, we foolishly had extended ourselves too much to go that far, so turns out we were saved from ourselves—ended up buying a way better house for 100k cheaper (although no cool Prairie-style architectural details unfortunately).

Best/worst part: the buyer turned out to be a developer. Knocked down the house and is currently putting up a McMansion. All hail Toronto.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Hah—how much?
IIRC, they’re asking $2.5 million.

Forum Links
Forum Rules