Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > House pests in TX.

House pests in TX.
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2012, 04:49 PM

Alright, i'm freaking out here. Just moved to Texas a couple of weeks ago and got an apartment, etc. My apartment is practically empty except for the the few pieces of furniture i've purchased recently. And already i've noticed two geckos(lizards) which are the same color as the carpet!!!

Roaches, spiders, etc, i dont mind. I can kill them easily enough with a shoe. But these Geckos are slimy and FAST. Not to mention I don't have any supplies to deal with them (brooms, boxes, etc).

It is a phobia. I've spent an hour scouring the web for any helpful info and quite frankly i'm sick of people saying they are "welcome guests" because they eat bugs. Who can't kill a bug? they're slow and don't friggon change color!

Oh and the joys of discovering a "thing" called chiccadas, i thought there was an army of rattle snakes up a tree! You'd think coming from Australia i'd be used to this stuff. But i've never had t o deal with geckos inside my house before, it's driving me up crazy!

I was putting laundry into my washer when i noticed one on one of my shirts. I shrieked and slammed it shut. That was two hours ago. What the heck should I do?

Cheers

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2012, 04:59 PM

Put a shrimp on the barbee and pop open a can of Fosters and learn to love the Geico Insurance mascot.

Cheers!

mindwaves
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2012, 05:00 PM

Buy one of those sticky rat traps. Place all around the house. The lizard is bound to step on it eventually. Seal all crevices.
{{{ mindwaves }}}

andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM

I'm in the "it eats bugs" camp so let it be. As long as it doesn't poop everywhere or get into your food.

signed, a bughater

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm in the "it eats bugs" camp so let it be. As long as it doesn't poop everywhere or get into your food.
signed, a bughater
Exactly. Same reason I don't kill spiders.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2012, 07:54 PM

Interesting how vermin phobias work.

Beetles and roaches flip me the **** out, but I kinda like hive insects for whatever reason. I especially appreciate how if you need to go on an ant pogrom they tidy up afterwards.

Spiders are just cool.

Centipedes and lizards fall in the "don't diss me" category. You stay on the wall, I'm fine, you crawl towards my foot and we got a problem.

Rodents are fine if they aren't rabid.

I dislike pigeons.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 02:46 AM

Geckos aren't slimy.

finboy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2012, 07:53 AM

Even better, geckos eat baby brown recluse spiders. That's where you want them on your team.

You have yet to encounter palmetto bugs (look like big roaches) and salamanders (these ARE slimy). We get those in the house all the time. You just have to wrangle them back outside.

Killed a baby copperhead under the dog's water bowl first thing this morning (by accident), his brother dodged and squirmed off to go up into the breather slot in between the bricks at the base of a wall. The king snakes will probably eat them before they get too much bigger.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
signed, a bughater
Forthed. Geckos generally keep to themselves. Bugs don't.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Interesting how vermin phobias work.
Beetles and roaches flip me the **** out, but I kinda like hive insects for whatever reason. I especially appreciate how if you need to go on an ant pogrom they tidy up afterwards.
Spiders are just cool.
Centipedes and lizards fall in the "don't diss me" category. You stay on the wall, I'm fine, you crawl towards my foot and we got a problem.
Rodents are fine if they aren't rabid.
I dislike pigeons.
You heard about the hanta virus carrying rodents at Yosemite which infected several dozen and killed a surprising number of people who'd been there as campers? These people breathed the virus spores from the rodents and became ill.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 08:58 PM

I did not.

However it does not surprise me the country mice have poor manners compared to the city mice.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 09:32 PM

Why the gecko hate? They're cool.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I will slap you side ways with a chicken!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Geckos are cool, and it's ok if they just run around the floor. But if they run around on your bed or get into things, I frankly wouldn't want them around either.

Cicadas, well, they must live pretty much in all areas of North America. We have them in Canada, too. At first I thought it was some electronic bug zapper or something, but yeah the buzzing sound is just a cicada.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules