Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The non-partisan WW III thread

The non-partisan WW III thread
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2016, 02:40 PM

I'm going to try to be extremely fair here so that we can focus on broader picture stuff without getting mired in our usual disagreements. Wish me luck!

The Trump election has clearly exposed some ugliness. I've heard reports of Latino and Muslim bullying in schools, for example, and confederate flags and ugly t-shirts being worn to schools - a trickle down of our politics into younger generations. The fear is that some of the things Trump has said have been validated by his being elected, which will have a lasting impact beyond his time in office.

If you don't agree with me or care for that, fine, look at the video Tightpants posted of the anti-Trump protestor pooping on his poster in public. We can certainly agree that a ugliness and violence has been brought to the fore, no matter who or what you support. Bernie Sanders certain tapped into a sense of anger among the left too, and Tightpants' thread about the PC movement exposes this sort of thing constantly too. Maybe he is right about the prominence of this, and maybe I'm wrong.

We are more polarized now than ever, is my point. I'm not necessarily trying to suggest an equivalency, so I ask you to not get stuck on this in this thread. We are probably all more empathetic to one side of these conflicts.

Moving on...

Look at Brexit, look at the upcoming election in France. One might say there are/have been similar movements there. Look at ISIS, and dozens of examples of international political corruption.

Now, look at the threat of global warming. If you think it is a hoax, fine, look at the water shortage in California, and the damage caused by extreme weather conditions, as well as the predicted flooding. Whatever you want to label the damage that has occurred and is predicted to occur, surely we can agree that this is also a scary/potentially scary threat.

Now, look at corporatism here in the US (and presumably all over the world), including its manifestation in Flint, MI that led to the tainted water supply. Some people feel that Obama going to Flint to drink the water in public was the sort of thing that led to Michigan voting the way it did this election, where people feel that government and corporate America is not on their side. Some see a lot of parallels into the anger that both Bernie Sanders and Trump tapped into. Whomever you feel is more righteous here, surely we can agree that anger is a real thing.

So, it would seem to me that:

1) There is a tremendous amount of anger that exists no matter your politics
2) This anger is not limited to the US
3) There is no signs of it slowing or quelling

Where is this going? Would you call me hysterical if I questioned how many generations we have before we face a WW III?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2016, 04:33 PM

Its very easy to see the parallels between this year and 1930s Europe. Turkey has shifted right, the UK, US, Austria with Germany, France and others in danger of following suit. The dominos are lining up somewhat.
The question is what might be the catalyst? Putin seems like a good bet. Its hard to see how ISIS could trigger something though no doubt they would love to. Could they assassinate someone popular and frame someone else for it? Seems far fetched.

This piece was more convincing when it was published. Trump's personality transplant might buy us a few extra years. Or will the US right just get so angry they demand a real fascist next time round?

History Tells Us What Will Happen Next With Brexit And Trump | The Huffington Post
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2016, 01:03 AM

Hopefully we dodged it by not electing the far bigger warhawk and supporter of the military industrial complex. If anything Trump is an isolationist, war is too expensive to get involved in and that guy could pinch Lincoln's head off a penny.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2016, 06:10 PM

Already wealthy private citizens make big money out of war. Trump is a wealthy private citizen. And wars get Republicans their second terms. If he makes enough money during the first term, he'll want to stick around for number two.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2016, 06:25 PM

What is causing this from an international perspective? Frustration over capitalism?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2016, 09:17 PM

Much of it is a hangover from the last financial crash. In the UK we introduced austerity measures and government cuts and people are getting wound up in the liberal press and on social media with claims that the poor and disabled are being victimised the most.
It didn't help that the Labour government in the 90s and 00s spoiled people with their overreaching welfare system that saw anyone with a limp getting a free car and anyone who said they had a sore back or felt a bit stressed getting signed off work for months on end on full pay.
Now these luxuries have been taken away, they are furious about it because they all liked being able to get satellite TV and the latest Xbox and iPhone without needing jobs.

Anyway, you have the liberal media attacking the government for the cuts, and the right wing media blaming it all on foreign immigrants and our own hibernating basket of deplorables decided those were nice and easy answers so they ignored the experts and the facts and voted to make things worse.

Europe already had its own financial issues what with Greece and various other bailouts. Ireland and Italy were also on the brink at one point due to irresponsible government spending which means again that when you reign it in, people don't like it. Then the flood of Syrian refugees accompanied by numerous others who tagged along with them have driven tensions up even higher as people question how their government can feed foreign refugees but not their own people. I won't comment on how much truth there is to that, but its the message being conveyed by the right wing parties who are looking to get a foothold and in several cases already have. Austria and Turkey being the prime examples.
Theres EU and Russia are essential squabbling to court Turkey as the gateway to the middle east, which potentially could be the start of a breakthrough to have a muslim country in the EU, but their economy is not up to scratch, neither are their human rights and they have a huge population which further terrifies the European right.

Ultimately is competition for resources as is usually the case. Real or imagined.

Forum Links
Forum Rules