Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > We are using special permissions...

We are using special permissions...
darrick
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 06:17 PM

when i have repaired permissions since installing 10.3.4 (and continuing now after 10.3.5), i get this message in the disk utilities window as it repairs:

"We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util."

when i asked the genius at the local apple store, he said it was just a standard message.

he also said that he did not recommend repairing permissions unless there was a problem.

(i do it after installing system updates and then about once a week).

does anyone have a different opinion? that "we are using..." message just looks odd to me.

thanks,

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 06:34 PM

He was right, it's totally standard...everybody gets it...

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 07:54 PM

thanks; i'm feeling more comfortable. not that i was freaking; it just seemed odd to see that "we are..."

i don't think i've seen that sort of phrasing anywhere else in an alert. to me, it sounds like 'they' are patching a mistake or something.

again, thanks.

Maelman
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 02:14 AM

I think it's just Apple telling you that they are using different permissions for the specified file or directory than one would see in an exclusively UNIX system.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2004, 10:29 AM

"We are" is actually not that uncommon. Remember the old-style kernel panic screen? "We are hanging here..."

It's a case of programmers inserting more "human" messages for debugging purposes, I guess. I doubt marketing would approve

Forum Links
Forum Rules