Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Last will and testament software

Last will and testament software
cfhosford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hello: I'm looking for good Mac software that produces a last will and testament, as well as possibly living wills, living trusts, etc. Any suggestions from anybody? Much thanks. -- Chris

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 09:15 PM

And the award for the most intense question on MacNN goes to you....

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005, 03:27 AM

i'd suggest that this isn't so much a software question as a word processor template question - not that i can suggest any will templates anyway, but google should turn something up...

assuming you're in the usa (as i'm sure there'll be subtle differences that'll catch you out if you use these in other countries - hell, this site has different templates for different states in the us) these might help you out:

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/

and i'll be jiggered, software to do it too!

http://standardlegal.net/will/Last-W...-template.html

sminch

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 06:49 AM

Wouldn't a bloody pen and some paper do ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

cfhosford  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hello Sminch -- thanks for your help. I like your aphorism about god being drunk. I think he needs a little help to get through the day. I know I do. Anyway, I appreciate your kind referrals. - Chris

Originally posted by sminch:
i'd suggest that this isn't so much a software question as a word processor template question - not that i can suggest any will templates anyway, but google should turn something up...

assuming you're in the usa (as i'm sure there'll be subtle differences that'll catch you out if you use these in other countries - hell, this site has different templates for different states in the us) these might help you out:

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/

and i'll be jiggered, software to do it too!

http://standardlegal.net/will/Last-W...-template.html

sminch

cfhosford  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 10:37 AM

... well, yes, but the Terri Shaivo thing and all, and I ain't getting any younger, and, and ...

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
And the award for the most intense question on MacNN goes to you....

philcozz
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by cfhosford:
... well, yes, but the Terri Shaivo thing and all, and I ain't getting any younger, and, and ...
http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/

jamerican
Mar 30, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by cfhosford:
Hello: I'm looking for good Mac software that produces a last will and testament, as well as possibly living wills, living trusts, etc. Any suggestions from anybody? Much thanks. -- Chris
Search on Amazon for Willpower and/or Home And Business Attorney. I have both. For your purposes, Willpower (I think by Kiplinger) would be best. Hope this helps.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

darrick
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 07:48 PM

I strongly recommend that you consult a qualified attorney to draft what you need.

I have seen several documents that appeared to have been copied from some sort of program or cheap form that were ineffective and useless. If nothing else, terms that mean one thing in one state mean something else in another state. The requirements for how a will must be signed may be different in different states. Wills and such are important documents which should be drafted by a professional, who can draft them correctly and tailor them to your needs.

Find an attorney through recommendations by your friends and family. If cost is an issue, call a local bar association or law school and find a program that will get you the help you need at a cost you can afford.

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 12:19 AM

you may want to look at the Nolo Press book/cd combo called Simple Will.

it contains all the template forms you need and the typically straight shooting Nolo approach. check your local library, which is where i found a copy. good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules