Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Best emulators on mac?

Best emulators on mac?
davoomac
Aug 1, 2006, 11:02 AM

What are the game emulators available for mac and which ones work the best? I'm looking for emulators for gameboy, snes, sega, N64, playstation etc. Anyone have any suggestions?
13" Macbook-ipad 64GB WIFI-ipod nano 8GB

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2006, 02:46 PM

Here's a link to Emuscene http://www.macemu.com, a great website devoted to emulation and the Mac. All your emulator needs will be fulfilled here.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 08:00 PM

MacGallant's website is good, but here are some of my personal favorites:

PSX - PCSX is pretty much your only option. Not Universal yet, but expect a release within a few months.
SNES - I use SNES9X. Works great on PPC, but has occasional slowdowns on Intel.
NES - Nestopia pretty much rocks. The end.
Genesis - Genesis Plus works for me.

I don't really use any others. (Edited for typos)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

davoomac  (op)
Aug 1, 2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard of PSCX or Genesis plus so I'll give em a try. thanks!
( Last edited by davoomac; Aug 1, 2006 at 08:20 PM. )

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by davoomac
Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard of PSX or Genesis so I'll give em a try. thanks!
You may have heard of PSX under it's unabbreviated name: PlayStation. I have no clue why it's abbreviated with an X at the end.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
You may have heard of PSX under it's unabbreviated name: PlayStation. I have no clue why it's abbreviated with an X at the end.
He might have heard of PSX he just didn't hear of PCSX which is a specific emulator but he reversed the C and the S.

davoomac  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 12:25 AM

So how does the PSCX emulator work? you have to have the original game on disc right?

tbeeghly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

On PPC PCSX you can either use the originl game disc or a legitimately backed up ISO of the game. You need a plugin to run the image though. I can't wait fot the Universal Version to come out for this, I used it all the time on my PPC and now I have to resort to windows for PSX and N64.
eMac 1ghz 512RAM
867mhz G4 1GB RAM
23" Cinema Display
2.16ghz MBP 1GB Ram
250gig Fantom External HDD

chrismccorkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 04:36 PM

and now... what about ROMs? I own about 30 games for Gamecube... I would either like to be able to find a place to d/l roms or find an app to rip the game!

edit: found some. (TPB)

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 05:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but putting a Gamecube disk into my MacBook's slot-loading drive would be a terrible idea, correct?

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 05:47 AM

I think a cooler idea would be putting it in and taking pictures along the way to show us exactly what ****s up on your macbook.

P
Aug 9, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but putting a Gamecube disk into my MacBook's slot-loading drive would be a terrible idea, correct?
Correct. Those discs are special as a copy protection measure, and Apple's slotloading drives choke on anything non-standard.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2006, 08:44 PM

I've tried PCSX on my old MDD dual 1.25GHz and it worked quite well. It was a bit slow (maybe due to the fact that I had all sorts of stuff running in the background), but it worked. I can't wait to see how it runs on my Mac Pro when it arrives or see how PCSX runs under Windows which has plug-ins with hardware support rather than just the software renderers Mac users have.

If you have a Mac that can boot OS 9, Connectix' Virtual Game Station was (is?) one of the best PlayStation emulators ever.

I haven't played with it in a long time, but when I did MacMAME was awesome. It played all my old arcade favorites flawlessly. Time can only have improved it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules