Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] JetBlack

[ANN] JetBlack
swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 03:41 AM

Please read the news posting on my site regarding the release, I really dont want to type it all out again, I just want to goto bed finally.

Click on my sig to get it from the site.

Includes:
guiKit
iContainer
Cursor Set
Desktops
Kitchen sink...

The usual mindless dribble regarding some random text colors still applies until the day we can mod them. Please keep this in mind when providing feedback/bitches.

Im sure there may be an oversight or two in this intital release because Ive been up far too long so cut me some slack eh .
( Last edited by swiz; Feb 25, 2004 at 11:43 AM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 03:44 AM

Hey,

v.nice work Although on your site you linked it wrong.

http://homepage.mac.com/swizcore/Pub...ckv1.0.dmg.zip

Is the correct url. Nice work again, best dark theme there is

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 03:45 AM

:: Awesome!
:: One of your best themes yet!

:: Fluid

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Hey,

v.nice work Although on your site you linked it wrong.

http://homepage.mac.com/swizcore/Pub...ckv1.0.dmg.zip

Is the correct url. Nice work again, best dark theme there is
man your fast, I posted this thread, doublehecked the link, fixed it and came back here and you already saw the first oversight.
Ok now Im really going to bed.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mac15
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 03:57 AM

hot hot hot! wow this thing is damn nice.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 04:01 AM

Great theme swiz!!! I love the jet, its awesome

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 04:03 AM

If I was to ask of one improvement, I'd ask if you could get rid of the custom search field and go back to how it looks in Aqua. It looks kinda weird with a white box in the center.

MacAgent
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 04:06 AM

Beautiful!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 04:07 AM

hot damn! thanks dude.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 05:06 AM

many kudos to swiz for having the balls and the confidence to release this theme w/o ss 1.5.... so we could all enjoy it! you're aok in my book...
... many thanks!
and kick ass theme!
good man.
cheers.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 05:13 AM

love the purplish desktop too! (and i don't usually like purple at all)....
lol.
nice....
www.theblogproject.com

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 05:55 AM

Way out there - off the hook -unbelievably cool . Soooo very groovy - I can't sleep now . Can anyone point me in the right direction to install the Synergy theme ? Thanks for any help -- and Swiz , thanks a ton - Time to Donate .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 06:08 AM

Mmmm... I like it much better than Ti(ny)Skin.

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 06:38 AM

Very nice man

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 07:10 AM

Awesome swiz.
the all thing is just beautiful
I really like the desktops
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 07:29 AM

Just one thing is that several of those desktops seem solely designed for wide screen comps, and are smushed on my iBook. Could you release regular aspect versions please?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mac15
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 07:39 AM

First impressions of the theme were wow ! but now I find it really hard to use (yes I understand the SS 1.5 issue) but outside the finder this theme isn't very usable.

Also, Toolbar icons... where are they?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 07:43 AM

First off Swiz i would like to buy you a bottle of whatever it is you guys in Michigan drink!! Second you deserve all the praise that you get.. One heck of a job, done very well. for this we salute you.

DaveV1.0
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 08:34 AM

First off well done Swiz excellent theme but how do I use the Synergy button set I put with the others and it doesn't show in the list.

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 08:58 AM

Anyone got a working URL ?

Simple Empire...

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 09:05 AM

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 09:06 AM

Cheers-bigears ;)

Simple Empire...

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 09:40 AM

A work of genius - An amazing piece of
design and execution.

My fly in the oink'ment would be to reverse
the +-x buttons with their roll-over state,
Black for normal/white on the roll-over.

But who am I to criticize such a professional,
sophisticated theme like JetBlack.

A standing ovation from this corner of the room.

Simple Empire...

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 10:08 AM

�Wow! JetBlack is impessive. I am absolutely amazed. I also believe it's time to donate.

Thanks swiz!

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 10:47 AM

Good work, looks great!
|wishing is for suckers|

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 11:30 AM

Thanks everyone, I realize its darkness is extreme and for some, thats a no sale point but that was my ultimate goal so it is a sort of niche' theme.

Regarding the desktop sizes, yes I will be offerring the desktops in other sizes but they will be a separate download since the package is already 8.1mb.

I will be adding the Synergy installation instructions to my FAQ on the site in about an hour. I will also be adding other 3rd party menu extra mods and addthose to the install FAQ too.

Oh, and I really must suggest to anyone who isnt running the iContainer to do so, the theme is so much less impressive without them. The cursor set is a big part too.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 11:55 AM

Im just floored that you included a cursor set. This theme is extremely well polished and although youre right, it is a niche theme, I believe Im in that niche. Great job on the theme. I cant get over the jets on the desktops...so cool

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 25, 2004, 11:59 AM

Best looking black theme so far.

Good going swiz.

notlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 12:08 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that the synergy images will also work in Butler (aka Another Launcher). Just replace the tiff files found in the Contents/Resource directory with the Synergy files. Make sure you use the same names (including extension). You don't need to convert the images.

Kenzo!

memento
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 12:20 PM

O/T: nice drums! And lefty too. I just picked up a set of Yamaha DTXpress electronic drums so that I can still practice when people are home, but I love hammering on my full set in the basement.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by notlad:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the synergy images will also work in Butler (aka Another Launcher). Just replace the tiff files found in the Contents/Resource directory with the Synergy files. Make sure you use the same names (including extension). You don't need to convert the images.

Kenzo!
Cheers notlad on that heads-up
on the Butler hack ;)

Simple Empire...

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by memento:
O/T: nice drums! And lefty too. I just picked up a set of Yamaha DTXpress electronic drums so that I can still practice when people are home, but I love hammering on my full set in the basement.
Are you a lefty too? Ive only ever seen one other lefty drummer in my life!! Its crazy, we are more rare than I would have thought.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Are you a lefty too? Ive only ever seen one other lefty drummer in my life!! Its crazy, we are more rare than I would have thought.
ever watch conan? max weinberg is a lefty.

on track: is there some way to make the windows a solid black and lose that white highlight in the middle. i think tew did it somehow? i just dont know how.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
ever watch conan? max weinberg is a lefty.

on track: is there some way to make the windows a solid black and lose that white highlight in the middle. i think tew did it somehow? i just dont know how.
I always watch Conan but everytime they show Max I look away because of the dumb look on his face while he plays . Never realized he was a lefty though.

To get rid of the gradient you need to use TP and navigate to the Metal Window area and change the gradient and texture to whatever solid hue you wish.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I always watch Conan but everytime they show Max I look away because of the dumb look on his face while he plays . Never realized he was a lefty though.

To get rid of the gradient you need to use TP and navigate to the Metal Window area and change the gradient and texture to whatever solid hue you wish.
yeah, i cant get past that plastic smile either.

thanks man for the heads up on that gradient location. ill get right on it!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Best looking black theme so far.

Good going swiz.
I agree, this is the first black / dark theme I am ever going to even try out.

Love it -- Swiz is back in black

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 01:55 PM

Swiz didn't give me enough warning or I would have had my desktops in the package too.
I'll try and finish them off and have them up for download before the end of the day.
click one

revmitcz
Feb 25, 2004, 02:03 PM

I agree... this is truly a gorgeous theme and easily the best dark theme available. Even as dark as it is, though, it's got enough light-colored elements that the contrast in a column-view finder window isn't nearly as jarring as it normally would be with a dark theme.

Good work, Swiz!

Unfortunately (through no fault of your own, I know), it's unusable in Photoshop, as not only is most text on the palettes unreadable, but even the icons in the layers/channels palettes are invisible against the background. When SS 1.5 allows some sort of change to that - then I'll probably use this theme quite heavily.

Also.. I'm heavily impressed w/the light grey gradient animation that occurs during toolbar customization. I've included a screenshot of that so everyone can see what I'm talking about:

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by revmitcz:
I agree... this is truly a gorgeous theme and easily the best dark theme available. Even as dark as it is, though, it's got enough light-colored elements that the contrast in a column-view finder window isn't nearly as jarring as it normally would be with a dark theme.

Good work, Swiz!

Unfortunately (through no fault of your own, I know), it's unusable in Photoshop, as not only is most text on the palettes unreadable, but even the icons in the layers/channels palettes are invisible against the background. When SS 1.5 allows some sort of change to that - then I'll probably use this theme quite heavily.

Also.. I'm heavily impressed w/the light grey gradient animation that occurs during toolbar customization. I've included a screenshot of that so everyone can see what I'm talking about:

[img]SNIP![img]
ok, now you done did it, youll have to share that desk with the class.
or at least give us a look at it. please.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by revmitcz:

Good work, Swiz!

Thanks very much, I also feel that the biggest hinderance with Photoshop is the layer visibility eyeball. I could live with the dark text in some spots since usually the only dark text issues area I look at is pixel dimension in the info pallette. But man, that layer visibility icon kills me. Sadly, I dont know if it will ever play nicely since it is buried somewhere inside the Photoshop app. Hopefully they will make it Cocoa sometime and it will be fixed.

revmitcz
Feb 25, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
ok, now you done did it, youll have to share that desk with the class.
or at least give us a look at it. please.
Well.. it's got "nudie parts" in it. It's the Vivid Girl Mercedez. I work for Vivid, so I whipped it up at the end of a bored day one time and tossed in a mockup of a newer Vivid logo.

I could post a link to grab it, but.. I don't know the rules for 'adult material' on this board.
Also, I don't know how Vivid would feel (like I care, heh)

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 02:59 PM

Once again Swiz, most excellent work
It is a beauty, gorgeous to look at, perfect execution...

BUT, I still thing OS X and dark theme definitely do not go well together. Adobe apps and MS Entourage (the tools I use 95% of the time) are not usable anymore. After staring at JetBlack for 5 minutes to enjoy it's beauty, had to revert to something else to get some work done

I know it's not Swiz's fault, we all know about text issues...

evilmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 03:26 PM

i didnt get the kitchen sink with mine...

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 03:40 PM

*thud*
Incredible. I love it. And the extras are pretty slick too.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 04:01 PM

Count me in as the third lefty drummer browsing the forums...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 04:44 PM

Regular |_Wide

Regular |_Wide

I'm waiting on the logo from swiz to make one more variation. Some basic feedback is welcome, if there are any small changes that you think I should make let me know.
click one

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 05:17 PM

Love the theme, and NetShadow - the desktops rock!
This thing could be truly awesome when the type issues (hopefully) get resolved in SS.

Nicely done all-around.

SB

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 05:25 PM

Nice theme with a great feel. Hate the widgets though. They seem kind of cheap, and I think they're a few pixels low.

Keep up the awesome work!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 05:29 PM

i have to agree with the widgets comment.... not hate though.i would just rather see the states flipped, with the light grey as the roll-over.
just a thought.
love this puppy!
www.theblogproject.com

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 05:44 PM

Also, I wish I could get more themers (sorry, Swiz ) to include the "padlock" icon from the Keychain Access utility. I use this to lock my screen and other things, and since it's part of the Apple standard software, I would like to see it included.
I know it's a slippery-slope for all the third-party possibilities in the Menu Bar, but I think some are popular enough to include also - like Konfabulator and LaunchBar?

SB

Forum Links
Forum Rules