Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Question

Battery Question
truth_in_nyc
Nov 27, 2002, 10:46 PM

2 nights ago I used my TiBook...when I shut it down the battery
was charged at 100%. @ days later after no use...I turn it on
it says the battery is at 94% charge. Should the battery lose charge like this?

ivi
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by truth_in_nyc:
2 nights ago I used my TiBook...when I shut it down the battery

No, It will go up. I think I had it on 667 VGA. Just to mention, my batter on SD is really crup. Lasts for just over two and a half hours of doing nothing intesive.

truth_in_nyc  (op)
Nov 27, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by ivi:

No, It will go up. I think I had it on 667 VGA. Just to mention, my batter on SD is really crup. Lasts for just over two and a half hours of doing nothing intesive.

Yes, but the charge is going down. Should I call Apple about this? Is this normal?

x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 11:35 PM

Sounds normal. I have an iBook and a Canon DV camera that both have lithium ion batteries and they discharge slowly over time. I think it helps preserve the battery material.

ivi
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 12:06 AM

Ok, I don't think this is a problem with the battery. If you are really really concirned with you number not being 100% then reinstall your OS, it will come back to normal, if it won't then you have something to worry about.

iMan
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 01:07 AM

Hello,

I also have a PowerBook G4 1 GHz w/ SuperDrive. My battery also does the same thing, it will show it has a full charge but it only reads about 97% and then it will go down further. I noticed that when I run down the battery a little bit it ficks the problem. In other words, when it just isn't sitting hooked up to the power adapter it is just fine.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2002, 01:31 AM

truth_in_nyc inquires:
I2 nights ago I used my TiBook...when I shut it down the battery
Not to worry. Assuming you are talking about all this happening when the PowerBook is connected to the AC power adaptor, you are experiencing normal behaviour.

To quote Apple's Knowledge Base Document 8344:"PowerBook G4: Battery Does Not Show Full Charge in Mac OS X":
This is normal. The batteries used in the PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), PowerBook (DVI) computers, PowerBook (1GHz/867MHz) and the replacement battery for PowerBook G4 computers are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. Because of this, when setting the Mac OS X battery status menu bar icon to display charge state by percentage, you may notice that the reported charge stays between 95 percent and 99 percent. When the battery level eventually drops below 95 percent, it will charge all the way to 100 percent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules