Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Low end G5 or High end G4?

Low end G5 or High end G4?
jbarket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 05:02 PM

Opinion time!

I'll be in the market for a new Power Mac soon... I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait until WWDC or not at this point... so here's my question.

Would I be better off picking up a dual MDD/QS machine or a 1.6GHZ (or, if after WWDC, whatever the bottom of the line is) G5?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 05:03 PM

Um, the new machines are probably coming tomorrow...

I'd say a low end G5

jbarket  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 05:07 PM

Out of curiosity, what makes you think they'll be here June 1 and that they won't hold off until the end of the month?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by jbarket:
Out of curiosity, what makes you think they'll be here June 1 and that they won't hold off until the end of the month?
Well, they may wait. But order time has just (yesterday) shot up to 7-10 days on the G5 which is always a good indication...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Well, they may wait. But order time has just (yesterday) shot up to 7-10 days on the G5 which is always a good indication...
Yeah, but there are multiple different promotions right now that include the G5, and they all end on the 26th, 2 days before the Stevenote.

Anyways, a dual G4 1.25 would be better than a single G5 1.6 for a lot of usage. For some usage a single G5 1.6 would win though.

However, if possible, I'd try to wait until July to buy. I'd take a "low end" single G5 2.0 over a dual G4 1.25. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and the low end G5 will be a dual.

And there's always the possibility you may be able to get get an overstock dual G5 1.8 from somewhere once the new machines are announced.

iMan
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 05:55 PM

I would go with the low-end G5, but I would wait until they release the new ones. The G5 will be faster than the high-end G4 in most everyday tasks. And the G5 enclosure gives you alot of options for updates in the future, and they seem to me that they are made better.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by iMan:
I would go with the low-end G5, but I would wait until they release the new ones. The G5 will be faster than the high-end G4 in most everyday tasks. And the G5 enclosure gives you alot of options for updates in the future, and they seem to me that they are made better.
In my experience, the dual G4 is faster for most everyday tasks.

And the way I see it, the G5's enclosure is limiting when it comes to expansion. The G4 can accomodate twice as many hard drives and optical drives.
( Last edited by Lateralus; May 31, 2004 at 07:02 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
In my experience, the dual G4 is faster for most everyday tasks.

And the way I see it, the G5's enclosure is limiting when it comes to expansion in. The G4 can accomodate twice as many hard drives and optical drives.
I would agree with that. I don't see how a G5 1.6 is more expandable in anything (except Firewire 800). It only has 4 memory slots, and no PCI-X either. And you already mentioned the the drives.

The G5 case is visually Teh Sexay though.

iMan
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 06:40 PM

I just think that the technology is more advance with in the G5 enclosure.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:21 AM

The G4 Will Be faster and more expandable unless your talking about processer upgrades. even against the dual 1.8 its not bad and value is much better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules