Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > First Time Mac User Questions...

First Time Mac User Questions...
Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 06:14 PM

I recently purchased a 12 inch powerbook rev. d for myself. My first ever Mac. I'm so excited. Anyway. I do some light web page design work, and am also a student. On a PC when I wanted to make a link to a file I normally would type in the drive letter -
Cdocument\nameofdocument.txt for example. But How do I tell the computer if I'm writing with html that my file or picture is at a cretain location on a Mac when there is no drive letter?do I write... Macintosh HD/document/nameofdocument.jpg? I tried that and it would work

And My Second question is, I have a 1.256 MB of ram, but it seems as if when I work on one application and while it's still processing and move over to a different application like playing a video online, and while it's still loading, I move on to powerpoint presentation, why I get the beachball? Do I have a defective ram? Thanks..

P.S. - I love APPLE.

Lesterm10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

I meant, "it would work" as "IT WOULD NOT WORK", sorry for the typo.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:27 PM

file:///Users/YOU/Documents/

(or whatever the path is)

eg extra folder in documents

file:///Users/YOU/Documents/extra_folders/

YOU = your user name in the format: Bill Clinton = billclinton
It'll be the short name (you can see this the accounts pref pane)

you can also use your mac as a local web server by storing your HTML files in the sites folder in your user folder and turning "personal web sharing" on in your sharing pref pane (this will tell you the address to use to see your site on the local network).

As to your other query, bad RAM usually causes crashes etc - app slowdown would be dependant on what you're doing, MS products can slow macs down though.

Lesterm10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 07:00 PM

MoodyMonster... thanks for the info... I got it to work. These website forum posts fast. Anyway, your're right, MS products do slow down my mac. When I'm using MS Word, I get a lag a split second after I hit my key to create a word. I checked out other forums to see what to do, and followed them, but to no avail. Maybe Microsoft will come out with some patch or something. Thanks again.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 08:54 PM

Do you have Tiger and the latest Office updates?

Word and Excel now load in about 1/2 a second under Tiger, insanely fast. Under panther it'd chug away for about 6 or 7 seconds.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lesterm10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 09:29 PM

No, I don't have Tiger, I have Panther. And I'm from a windows background, and I was scared to download MS updates for their office suites even their OS, because, downloading would make my computer worse sometimes instead of better. Now that I have a powerbook, I don't want to download anything, because I'm scared downloading my screw my powerbook up. I do however download the latest updates from Apple because their download intergration and installs are sooo much better than MS. Anyway, I have the lag when I'm typing on Microsoft Word, but I'm still fearful to download since it's from MS. I plan on getting Tiger when version 10.4.2 comes out, because I'm scared of bugs and stuff on the first release.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

mariahlullaby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:08 PM

I have a question for you Lesterm10 (if you don't mind). I am a soon to be PC switcher and was sure I was going to get the 15" 1.67 with 128 VRAM. However, after playing around on the 12" at the Apple store connected to a 20" ADC and then on the 15" ultimate, I noticed little to no difference for the programs I was considering. I do some web design/graphic work/light video editing (home movies stuff). How's the 12" for web design on the go and handling tasks?

Thanks and congrats on your purchase!!

Lesterm10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 11:31 PM

I've worked on a home movie as well using idvd and imovie and it worked fine, took a while to edit a 20 minute clip. Now I'm itching to get Final Cut...lol... but I digress. Anyway, to answer your question. If you're doing light graphics work, and web design, then the 12 inch powerbook will be more than just fine. However, if you're planning on doing full fledged animation with the software to boot with extensive animation, graphics and video web design, I suggest going with the 15 inch... it's only a pound heavier and the screen is bigger and in my opinion the forums on the 15 inch vs. the 12 inch screen were correct, the 15 inch has a better screen. I got the 12 inch because I wanted a small foot print and I don't do really extensive web designing... but now that I have it and have worked on it for a little over a month, I find the screen on the 12 inch confining and sometimes wish I got the 15 inch because I do feel cramped staring at the 12" screen( and the keyboard glows in the dark, important if you're working in the dark). However, in terms of usability, for light to moderate graphics, it works fine and is very portable. In the end, it all depends on how small or big you want your powerbook to be (the 15", though alot larger is still portable enough) and if the 128 vram is really an important factor because the 1.5 Ghz vs. the 1.67 Ghz G4 makes no real impact.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

chadseld
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 04:08 PM

A tip to speed up MS Word is to turn off "Live Word Count" in the preferences. For some insane reason this feature in a CPU hog.. I can't imagine what they are doing that makes counting words so difficult.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Forum Links
Forum Rules