Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > just ordered a 15" PB - need help picking a case! HELP!

just ordered a 15" PB - need help picking a case! HELP!
acousticECHO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 08:55 PM

I know there have been several threads on this already, but I needed a bit more specific advice

So here's my situation. I've been a Windows/PC guy for 18 years now (*GASP!*) and thought I'd never leave the wonderful critical-error prone OS-baby of Mr. Bill Gates. Since I'm going to college in a few months, I figured I'd invest in a laptop (never had one before). Of course I went through several retailers...all windows-based notebooks, until a friend of mine showed off his brand new 17" Powerbook...in action. My reaction? A mixture of .

Three weeks later, after much research I decided to order a 15.2" PowerBook (w/ SuperDrive).

Now that it's (hopefully) shipped and on it's way, I've spent the past few days looking for a good case/sleeve. I've never owned a laptop before, so everything was all new to me. So here's where I am so far:

As of right now, I am deciding between:

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=67

(a PowerSleeve 14, said to fit a 15" powerbookbetter than the PowerSleeve 15 )

or

Shinza Zero-Shock 15"
http://shinza.com/product_info.php?...ccd633c363353a7

My friends recently bought me a brand new backpack:

Northface Jester
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms...?productId=3177

so I'll probably end up lugging all my stuff (including the powerbook encased in one of the two above) in that backpack.

If you were me, which of the two would you get?

(Sorry that this post was so long! From what I've read, everyone on here seems very friendly and helpful - thanks in advance!)

- jon

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 09:12 PM

Shinza Zero-Shock 15"

I just bought one. The only thing i do not like about it is that its not the same shape as the powerbook. But I do not have my powerbook yet so i don't know if its a big deal. I would prob by a different once next time though...

may change my mind once i get the PB though.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 10:37 PM

Only thing i don't like about the Shinza is the backorder... its been a month now.. and i still don't have my case.
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

i ordered and it went out the next day... (last tues)

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
i ordered and it went out the next day... (last tues)
Really... well i e-mailed them and they said they just got a new batch and would ship it out immediately. But when i log into the Shinza.com page, the status of the order still shows backordered
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 10:49 PM

i must have got the last one.

I did get my timbuk2 messenger bag though.. nice. wanted the shinzu to give me a little extra padding as the timbk2 does not have any...

asodamiac
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 12:08 AM

well ive never had the booq powersleeve, but the vyper sleeve was not for me. its some what like a hard shell and in my opinion, it only offers protection from scratches and small objects dropping on it (ie golf ball or something from a few feet high). i just ordered a waterfield sleeve. if you can wait, i'll let you know what i think of that.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 12:25 AM

beachmark
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 11:01 PM

I really recommend a Tom Bihn bag. As I already said in several other posts the small design and hard shell makes it for the ideal one as you can stick it in a backpack, caryy on or whatever else and it does the job very well.

On top of it it is moderately priced and no one can see a computerbag. So thieves will likely go for someone with an obvious bag.

Finally see how many eys prey at you when you take it out and start working on it somewhere. Envy all around you.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by acousticECHO
I know there have been several threads on this already, but I needed a bit more specific advice

So here's my situation. I've been a Windows/PC guy for 18 years now (*GASP!*) and thought I'd never leave the wonderful critical-error prone OS-baby of Mr. Bill Gates. Since I'm going to college in a few months, I figured I'd invest in a laptop (never had one before). Of course I went through several retailers...all windows-based notebooks, until a friend of mine showed off his brand new 17" Powerbook...in action. My reaction? A mixture of .

Three weeks later, after much research I decided to order a 15.2" PowerBook (w/ SuperDrive).

Now that it's (hopefully) shipped and on it's way, I've spent the past few days looking for a good case/sleeve. I've never owned a laptop before, so everything was all new to me. So here's where I am so far:

As of right now, I am deciding between:

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=67

(a PowerSleeve 14, said to fit a 15" powerbookbetter than the PowerSleeve 15 )

or

Shinza Zero-Shock 15"

My friends recently bought me a brand new backpack:

Northface Jester
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms...?productId=3177

so I'll probably end up lugging all my stuff (including the powerbook encased in one of the two above) in that backpack.

If you were me, which of the two would you get?

(Sorry that this post was so long! From what I've read, everyone on here seems very friendly and helpful - thanks in advance!)

- jon

I would recommend between the two that you asked for, to go with the shinza it looks alot thinner to carry and sometimes the only thing in college you might want to bring with you is your laptop (trust me, there will be days when that happens). However if I can suggest another sleeve or case, I have the the glove from radtech... and it truly fits like a glove on my powerbook and if you could add that to your list, then definitley get the glove from radtech... here's the link to just take a peek... http://www.radtech.us/Products/SpecialtyBags.aspx also suggest getting the screensaverz to protect your screen from oily finger prints when closed.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules