Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More hints at widescreen Apple laptops

More hints at widescreen Apple laptops
Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 11, 2005, 12:06 PM

According to this article, Apple is, among others, increasing its widescreen notebook lineup for next year.

Originally Posted by digitimes.com
Dell, Hewlett Packard (HP), Acer, Apple and Asustek are increasing the proportion of widescreen models in their notebook lineups for 2006, the sources said.
So, what are we going to see? Only new widescreen/HD powerbooks (apart from the 17" that's already out there) or widescreen ibooks as well?
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

osxisfun
May 11, 2005, 12:08 PM

prob. ibooks too as you say.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
prob. ibooks too as you say.
And probably widescreen 12" (or 13"?) Powerbooks before the iBooks.

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 02:04 PM

I don't see a need to go widescreen even if it is HD if the CPU and Graphics card as well as the main components are the same. They should worry about upgrading the current hardware specs on the PB other than a bump of CPU power or increase memory, before adding a wider screen Because they already have (almost) widescreen PB in the form of the 15 inch powerbook. The most important update development apple should have a placing a G5 in the powerbook, and maximizing performace like PC laptops. But, it's still cool to tote around a 12 inch powerbook, and even cooler to tote around a 13 inch one.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

osxisfun
May 12, 2005, 02:08 PM

>I don't see a need to go widescreen even

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that its the direction that the LCD makers are going. In a couple of years they may not make square LCDs for notebooks anymore.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2005, 03:02 PM

Widescreen iBook with a Core Image supported video card. Those'd sell like hotcakes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
>I don't see a need to go widescreen even

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that its the direction that the LCD makers are going. In a couple of years they may not make square LCDs for notebooks anymore.

Well, widescreen is cool, and you're right, square lcd's may not be manufactured after a few years, but it's still more important to upgrade the components of the PB, and again, not just a speed bump... over adding a widescreen.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

osxisfun
May 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lesterm10
Well, widescreen is cool, and you're right, square lcd's may not be manufactured after a few years, but it's still more important to upgrade the components of the PB, and again, not just a speed bump... over adding a widescreen.

portable upgrades are based on many factors. including waiting until certain parts can be bought en masse and a price that apple requires.

the bigger upgrades will arrive when they arrive. Somethings like a portable g5 are things apple has to wait for. They could not ship one today if they wanted.

and building a powerbook / ibbok update is like getting 10 kittens to all move forward at once.

its a lot more complicated then, we need X let's put it in there ASAP.

there is only so much apple can do with the current G4. once they get the g5 (or possibly a dual core g4 but i would bet not) then they can invest in new motherboards / fsbs and all the tweaks needed for newer ram specs and GPUs.

brapper
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Widescreen iBook with a Core Image supported video card. Those'd sell like hotcakes.
You think so?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lesterm10
I'm sure Apple is doing the best it can with regards to hardware performance in the PowerBooks.

It's not like Apple says, "Hmmm, G5 or widescreen displays... we can't have both." If Apple could put a G5 in a PB then they would put a G5 in a PB. But they still need to continue to refresh the PB line until they can figure out how to do so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules