Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Chef back on South Park?

Is Chef back on South Park?
Thread Tools
faragbre967
Senior User
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2006, 11:01 PM
 
I just saw a commercial on Comedy Central saying something about the triumphant return of Chef to South Park. I was just wondering if it was Isaac Hayes or just making fun of him?
...
     
macfantn
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2006, 11:30 PM
 
prolly matt and trey going to rip on chef, which i hope they do!
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
 
Entertainment News: South Park Mystery, Brokeback, The Simpsons and More!
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
by Matt Webb MitovichWhat's up with South Park and Issac Hayes?

COOKED-UP CONTROVERSY?: File this under "provocative": Isaac Hayes did not quit his gig voicing South Park's Chef over some Scientology flap. In a follow-up to last week's hubbub, FoxNews.com deems it "ridiculous" that the singer, who has been recovering from a stroke suffered in mid-January, would all of a sudden turn against the show for poking fun at his religion. Those close to Hayes are said to be "mystified" by the statement released March 13 and attributed to him. As one friend tells FoxNews.com, "Isaac's been concentrating on his recuperation for the last two and a half, three months." In related news, the Scientology-skewering "Trapped in a Closet" episode, pulled last week amidst allegations that Tom Cruise had flexed some muscle, will air this Wednesday at 10 pm/ET.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2006, 11:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by abe
Entertainment News: South Park Mystery, Brokeback, The Simpsons and More!
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
by Matt Webb MitovichWhat's up with South Park and Issac Hayes?

COOKED-UP CONTROVERSY?: File this under "provocative": Isaac Hayes did not quit his gig voicing South Park's Chef over some Scientology flap. In a follow-up to last week's hubbub, FoxNews.com deems it "ridiculous" that the singer, who has been recovering from a stroke suffered in mid-January, would all of a sudden turn against the show for poking fun at his religion. Those close to Hayes are said to be "mystified" by the statement released March 13 and attributed to him. As one friend tells FoxNews.com, "Isaac's been concentrating on his recuperation for the last two and a half, three months." In related news, the Scientology-skewering "Trapped in a Closet" episode, pulled last week amidst allegations that Tom Cruise had flexed some muscle, will air this Wednesday at 10 pm/ET.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/
ABErdeen, is that you?
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
ABErdeen, is that you?
Yes, dyslexic. Tis I.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 01:07 AM
 
aren't Dupes a bannable offense?
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 01:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
aren't Dupes a bannable offense?
If so I was unaware of it and I would reassume my old nick. If I weren't given that option and I was banned, then you'd prove the old adage...

Every dog has it's day.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 03:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
aren't Dupes a bannable offense?
If that were the case, SWG would have been banned 7 years ago or so. New names are only frowned upon when the user is in hot water on the forum to begin with.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
DCapple
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 03:59 AM
 
ummm...i just want to ask if what is the issue between Tom Cruise and the South Park cause i saw it at eTV....but i saw only the last part that on this one episode of South park they where like putting jokes on Tom Cruies' identity or something..whats the real story? can anyone tell me?
My Bookmarks
- Danica
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 04:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by DCapple
ummm...i just want to ask if what is the issue between Tom Cruise and the South Park cause i saw it at eTV....but i saw only the last part that on this one episode of South park they where like putting jokes on Tom Cruies' identity or something..whats the real story? can anyone tell me?
Trapped in the Closet is a very funny South Park parody of R. Kelly's music video saga by the same name, involving a bunch of Hollywood celebrities and Stan's foray into the world of Scientology. Now that it has been banned because of Cruise's pressure on Viacom, it's really worth it to get it from BT. (The episode not only lampoons Scientology, it also pokes fun at Cruise because he retreats into the closet and does not want to come out. It's an allusion to the long-time media rumors that have called Cruise a homosexual, which Cruise has sued over.) It's a great episode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 04:18 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac
If that were the case, SWG would have been banned 7 years ago or so. New names are only frowned upon when the user is in hot water on the forum to begin with.
this is a good point.

i've also heard that the episode in question will never be shown again- tom cruise said he wouldn't go on the promo circuit for Mission Impossible 3 if comedy central kept airing this. MI-3 is a paramount pic. paramount is owned by viacom which also owns comedy central. or something like that. either way, this episode caused a big stir.

scientologists scare me. don't think i'm alone on this one.
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 04:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
this is a good point.

i've also heard that the episode in question will never be shown again- tom cruise said he wouldn't go on the promo circuit for Mission Impossible 3 if comedy central kept airing this. MI-3 is a paramount pic. paramount is owned by viacom which also owns comedy central. or something like that. either way, this episode caused a big stir.

scientologists scare me. don't think i'm alone on this one.
Just curious, if you felt a certain way but discovered you WERE alone in feeling that way, what would you do?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 12:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by abe
Just curious, if you felt a certain way but discovered you WERE alone in feeling that way, what would you do?
Jerry Springer?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Spliff
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Canaduh
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 01:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by faragbre967
I just saw a commercial on Comedy Central saying something about the triumphant return of Chef to South Park. I was just wondering if it was Isaac Hayes or just making fun of him?
No, Hayes ain't returning. Someone else will be doing the voice.
     
Dakar
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pretentiously Retired.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 01:48 PM
 
Michael Dorn!
     
ambush
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: -
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2006, 02:37 PM
 
Come Out Of The Closet, Mr Cruise
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 22, 2006, 08:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by abe
Just curious, if you felt a certain way but discovered you WERE alone in feeling that way, what would you do?
run for the hills before my ass got sued? wait, you're not a scientologist too are you?
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spliff
No, Hayes ain't returning. Someone else will be doing the voice.
They are using left over voice clips to do Chef one last time.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...headlines=true
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 22, 2006, 08:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
run for the hills before my ass got sued? wait, you're not a scientologist too are you?
I'm scared.
     
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: BFE
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 22, 2006, 11:28 PM
 
Chef is dead. I knew it!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 02:24 AM
 
OH MI GAWD!

The new Southpark SUXXX! It is AWFUL!

UGH!

It has jumped the shark waaaaaaay ahead of it's time.

Downhill from here.

They tried to improve it by giving the animation more shadow detail and artistic value and they have made it just like any other crappy tv cartoon.

BIG MISTAKE.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Iowa State Univesity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 02:55 AM
 
Anyone else see the episode tonight? Chef didn't just die...he fell down a canyon, was set on fine, shot several times, then was ripped apart by wild animals. Then the 'bad guys' resurrected him into a "Darth Vador" chef. Classic.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 03:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by lothar56
Anyone else see the episode tonight? Chef didn't just die...he fell down a canyon, was set on fine, shot several times, then was ripped apart by wild animals. Then the 'bad guys' resurrected him into a "Darth Vador" chef. Classic.
If you had never before seen South Park you might like it, but this is no longer South Park, dude. It's something that the REAL Matt & Trey would have made fun of.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 07:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac
If that were the case, SWG would have been banned 7 years ago or so. New names are only frowned upon when the user is in hot water on the forum to begin with.
Not always true either. Many people including SWG just changed nicks when they got banned and nothing was said.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
 
abe I think they were attempting to make a point. And they did it well.
     
dillerX
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pit Slab #35
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 08:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
abe I think they were attempting to make a point. And they did it well.
very well.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.
     
wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 10:55 AM
 
A good Chef is very important.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
 
Yeah, I thought the episode was a bit weak. I'm a HUGE South Park fan and have seen all of the episodes multiple time. The last season was bad and now this one is off to a shaky start. I don't know, the main gags just fell short. Child molestation is not that funny, and they wouldn't stop harping on it.

It did have a few good moments though and I enjoyed the funeral scene. I would give the episode a 2 out of 5.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
Super Mario
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 11:24 AM
 
Are these legal downloads?

http://www.southparkx.net/

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:20 PM. )
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
 
Originally Posted by ort888
Yeah, I thought the episode was a bit weak. I'm a HUGE South Park fan and have seen all of the episodes multiple time. The last season was bad and now this one is off to a shaky start. I don't know, the main gags just fell short. Child molestation is not that funny, and they wouldn't stop harping on it.

It did have a few good moments though and I enjoyed the funeral scene. I would give the episode a 2 out of 5.
I have really liked the recent episodes. Yesterday's episode certainly wasn't a high point, but it was a necessary response. As for the child molestation plot, it was not supposed to be funny. They were taking additional jabs at Scientology without directly referring to it or its beliefs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888
Yeah, I thought the episode was a bit weak. I'm a HUGE South Park fan and have seen all of the episodes multiple time. The last season was bad and now this one is off to a shaky start. I don't know, the main gags just fell short. Child molestation is not that funny, and they wouldn't stop harping on it.

It did have a few good moments though and I enjoyed the funeral scene. I would give the episode a 2 out of 5.
I'd give it a 3 out of 10.

It was heavy handed, preachy, lacking in irreverence, devoid of the usual childish spontaneity.

Instead of being BETTER because of the greater detail and shading and added movement and extraneous characters crossing in front of the main characters and added time spent on trying to make the backgrounds look 'yummy,' it now looks MORE COMMON, like any Saturday morning cartoon.

One of the things that made SP distinctive and special was it's rawness. They've taken a step toward making it smooth and creamy vanilla. Hmmm, make that french vanilla. That's yummier!

Saturday morning cartoons are fine for what they are. But SP should not aspire to that standard.

It had a distinctive look and feel. Both of which are gone.

The hammering home of ONE topic was also a change. Usually there is at least two topics running through each episode and at a certain point those two plots cross. Here it was...

Hammer home the idea that Chef is child molester due to Super Adventure Club.
Hammer home the idea that Chef is child molester due to Super Adventure Club.
Hammer home the idea that Chef is child molester due to Super Adventure Club.

If you look at last night's episode and place it against ANY of the episodes before last season you'll immediately notice the difference.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2006, 11:47 PM
 
Abe
you are obviously completely missing the point
I wouldn't dismiss the whole show because the season premiere wasn't one of their funniest episodes. It wasn't supposed to be. It was a farewell to Issac Hayes (chef) and condemning scientology (super adventure club) for "brainwashing" him and presumably making him quit the show.

I do agree, however, that the new look isn't all that great. They're trying to improve on their once cheaply made cartoons without making it fully animated, but I think they should just stick with the original in terms of looks.

I have no doubt that this season will continue to be one of the funniest shows on TV, it's just this episode that had a special meaning which you apparenlty missed completely.
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 12:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Abe
you are obviously completely missing the point
I wouldn't dismiss the whole show because the season premiere wasn't one of their funniest episodes. It wasn't supposed to be. It was a farewell to Issac Hayes (chef) and condemning scientology (super adventure club) for "brainwashing" him and presumably making him quit the show.

I do agree, however, that the new look isn't all that great. They're trying to improve on their once cheaply made cartoons without making it fully animated, but I think they should just stick with the original in terms of looks.

I have no doubt that this season will continue to be one of the funniest shows on TV, it's just this episode that had a special meaning which you apparenlty missed completely.
I am one of the most astute of viewers and observers of things I enjoy that you are likely to find on these pages. Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

However, I am very much aware of the point they were making and making and making and making and...

What I am talking about addresses this one episode as much as the creative direction of the show in general.

Great amounts of time, consultation and resources go into making the differences I mentioned. You are correct in concluding they are trying to improve the look. Everyone got together and talked and finally the decision was made to make those changes we saw last nite.

It was a creative choice that will haunt them.

As far as the way to say good-bye to Chef, I believe that, too, was a piss poor creative choice.

To me it's kinda like the woman who looks best when she just rolled out of bed and threw herself together and looks SMASHING versus the same woman when she spends an hour getting everything just right but looks too too made up.

And it wouldn't be the FIRST time a production company in Hollywood (or wherever) spent so much time and money and care in getting the SPECIAL EFFECTS just right that they sacrificed the writing.

I believe the best way to have said good-bye to Chef would have been a bitingly sarcastic, funny as hell episode that skewered Scientology and made us laugh from beginning to end.

They blew this episode and this season, if it looks like last night's episode.

And if they use the same decision making processes they used in last night's episode, I think I'd be better off just renting a VHS copy of "My Little Pony," turning down the volume and making rude comments to the screen!

And if no one noticed, Eric Cartman is the star of the show. And how much did we see him highlighted?

Oh, the show just sucked ass.

But thank you for your kind remarks.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Iowa State Univesity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 01:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by abe
I believe the best way to have said good-bye to Chef would have been a bitingly sarcastic, funny as hell episode that skewered Scientology and made us laugh from beginning to end.
...Isn't that what this episode was? They took jabs at scientology, I laughed as much as I have at any other episode.

Originally Posted by abe
Eric Cartman is the star of the show. And how much did we see him highlighted?
I'm beginning to doubt your claimed "astuteness." Yes Cartman is the star. No, not every episode is about him. The whole point of this episode was to say goodbye to Chef. There will be other episodes in this season. Some may be more or less about Cartman. Seriously...
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 01:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by lothar56
...Isn't that what this episode was? They took jabs at scientology, I laughed as much as I have at any other episode.

I'm beginning to doubt your claimed "astuteness." Yes Cartman is the star. No, not every episode is about him. The whole point of this episode was to say goodbye to Chef. There will be other episodes in this season. Some may be more or less about Cartman. Seriously...
We can't and won't debate your sense of humor.

And I stand by my "astuteness." If you consider the rest of my comments on last night's episode how many of the things did you even notice when you watched the show? But now, having been reminded of them with my post(s) you find yourself thinking, "oh, yeah, now that you mention it, I have to agree you have a point, abe!"

If Cartman's take on Chef isn't foremost then the point of view of the episode is whose?

Who stood out?

Don't say Chef.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 01:54 AM
 
tobad he decided to leave because of such a small stupid reason. southpark will not be the same without chef
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 02:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
tobad he decided to leave because of such a small stupid reason. southpark will not be the same without chef
AGREED!

Although a reconciliation is now THE thing to look forward to!

Make up sex is best???

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 02:41 AM
 
didnt chef already do cartmens mum in an episode? how much lower can you go for a nasty make up sex scene? make chef do the devil charracter? heh, or somehow make someone resurrect the husseign from the movie and make chef do him? heh or a threesome of the three? mods, you can edit my post if you want too, but please dont ban or banninate me
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 06:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by abe
I believe the best way to have said good-bye to Chef would have been a bitingly sarcastic, funny as hell episode that skewered Scientology and made us laugh from beginning to end.
Abe, I often agree with you, but my view of that episode is in diametric opposition to yours. It's obvious that Trey and Matt are very perturbed at Hayes for turning his back on the show, and that probably impacted the potential for humor in that episode. But I cannot conceive of a different way to accomplish that which they intended. They already lampooned Scientology in a very hilarious way, and they likely put the show at some risk from the cult of Scientology and their Hollywood stars as a result. They could not do the same episode twice. And while I concur that the irreverent child molestation theme was uninspired, it was a valid pretext for a rift between Chef and the kids significant enough to lead to Chef's demise.

As for your critique of the new, improved stylistic direction, that has been a trend in the show's animation for seasons. There was an appreciable change in style back in season 6. And if you really want to be consistent, you should have stopped watching long ago - after all, they switched from cutouts to CG simulated cutouts early on. The fact is, I was too concerned about what would happen to Chef to give much consideration to animation details. Most people do not watch and appreciate South Park for its animation, abe.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The midwest...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 08:46 AM
 
I thought it was funny, but it did get to a certain level of grossness not normally reached by SP.

I almost fell over laughing when Cartman said, maybe he's not dead! Don't most guy crap themselves....oh wait, nevermind...
Joe
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2006, 02:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac
Abe, I often agree with you, but my view of that episode is in diametric opposition to yours. It's obvious that Trey and Matt are very perturbed at Hayes for turning his back on the show, and that probably impacted the potential for humor in that episode. But I cannot conceive of a different way to accomplish that which they intended. They already lampooned Scientology in a very hilarious way, and they likely put the show at some risk from the cult of Scientology and their Hollywood stars as a result. They could not do the same episode twice. And while I concur that the irreverent child molestation theme was uninspired, it was a valid pretext for a rift between Chef and the kids significant enough to lead to Chef's demise.

As for your critique of the new, improved stylistic direction, that has been a trend in the show's animation for seasons. There was an appreciable change in style back in season 6. And if you really want to be consistent, you should have stopped watching long ago - after all, they switched from cutouts to CG simulated cutouts early on. The fact is, I was too concerned about what would happen to Chef to give much consideration to animation details. Most people do not watch and appreciate South Park for its animation, abe.
Your reason has had an effect on me. I can well imagine their being emotionally rocked to the point where their funnybones were numb and the operative mode was grief or anger or something other than that which produces their usual comedic brilliance.

In matters of style, when does 'too much' become "TOO FRICKKIN MUCH?" If you can live with the changes because you like them or you don't notice them or they don't pose enough of a problem that you'd want to speak up, then you may just notice the difference (or not) and simply enjoy the thing.

But on a sliding scale there is a point beyond which something is tolerable.

Hot becomes too hot. Cold becomes too cold. Bright. Dark. Loud. Low volume. Soft. Hard. Old. New.

In this case too frou frou.

Too unfunny.

I will be watching.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
abe
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2006, 01:44 AM
 
From the Comedy Central Press Release:
Why does Cartman hate "Family Guy" so much? It's all-new episode of "South Park" premiering Wednesday, April 5 at 10:00 P.M. on Comedy Central

Kyle loves "Family Guy" and hates Cartman. The two boys embark upon a mad chase across the country and the fate of "Family Guy" lies with the first boy to reach Hollywood in all new episode of "South Park" titled "Cartoon Wars," premiering Wednesday, April 5 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,