Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Metal MacBook

Metal MacBook
Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 12:36 PM

White was a bit too bright and attention grabbing compared to my PB AL. Here it is a metallic finish. The black stripes are my customary addition of rubber fusion tape to improve grip. My laptops literally go everywhere with me as I walk about during the day. The black strips aren't pretty, but they keep my machines firmly in hand.

Metallization was done with metal effects contact film. Goes on easily and looks great. Without the black strips, it's a very sleek look. Didn't do the bottom. You usually don't see that side and I'd worry about heat transfer. For protecting the bottom I use multiple strips of the rubber fusion tape. No scratches and the machine is darned near impossible to slide off a counter. The film also waterproofs and protects the top from scratches. Peels off. Any adhesive residue comes off with alcohol. I usually use transparent film on my laptops. As a result my PB AL is scratch free after three years. If the film becomes worn, I just replace it with a fresh piece.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 02:04 PM

Dude, thats sick!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 02:50 PM

I bet the guys over at macmod.com would appreciate a short mod guide if you're up for it.....

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 07:05 PM

Hey, that looks great!

Why didn't you cut out the Apple?

Where did you get the contact paper and rubber stuff?

*inquiring minds want to know*
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

itasor
Jun 17, 2006, 08:06 PM

Nice, two questions:

1. How did you not get any air bubbles?

2. Can you see the glowing Apple through it?

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 08:35 PM

The metal effects film and linerless rubber splicing tape are available at Home Depot.

Contact brand film is in the coverings and liners dept.

Linerless rubber splicing tape is in electrical. This is NOT vinyl electrical tape.

It's very easy to apply without bubbles. Just be sure to peel off only a portion of the backing and gradually work it across the laptop while peeling more and more liner off. Smooth down the film with a cloth as you lay it down and there will be no bubbles. If you make a mistake, peel it off and clean any residue away with rubbing alcohol. BTW, the laptop should be completely clean before applying the film.

The width of the film must be narrow enough to avoid curling in two directions in the corners. The film does not stretch. Once the film is in place, I sliced it at the edges with a sharp xacto blade.

The black rubber fusion tape is optional. I always use it to make my laptops slip-free, but most people dont't like the looks of the tape. The tape peels off very easily and usually gets replace every few months.

Yes, the apple logo glows through the metallized film. I considered slicing out the logo, but that would almost certainly scratch the plastic and I'd lose the waterproofing features. With the laptop off, the logo can still be seen subtlely as if embossed.

MacSpeakers
Banned
Jun 21, 2006, 09:57 AM

Actually the rubber strips you put all over the bottom will be much worse for cooling than a thin sheet of metal covered in even thinner sheets of plastic. Rubber is a VERY poor conductor.

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 11:09 AM

The bottom isn't covered by black strips, just a few to keep the machine from ever slipping off the small metal workshelfs at work.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 02:59 PM

I would love to see another pic of the metal with the apple visible.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2006, 11:09 PM

I don't like it that much... no Apple no likey.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006, 01:57 AM

cry me a river...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2006, 02:48 AM

OMG......... what brand did you say you used for the metallic contact film?? I got nothing to do this summer and i think this would make my old Mac look interesting.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I would love to see another pic of the metal with the apple visible.
Here is the Apple Logo with the metallization film over it and also glowing with the lights out. Of course one could very carefully cut around the logo outline to expose it, but I didn't see much point to that. You still see the logo with the machine on - almost appears out of nowhere.

Everyone who sees it live loves how it now looks. Not bad - brushed metal for just six dollars.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the pics. I can get a much better feel for the product now.
nice job.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 05:27 PM

Oh good you can see the Apple. I like it now.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2006, 01:02 AM

everybody laugh, i think it looks good & in a few years with a little goo-gone this may be the only white book out there without a thousand little scratches all over it.

finboy
Jun 26, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
everybody laugh, i think it looks good & in a few years with a little goo-gone this may be the only white book out there without a thousand little scratches all over it.
Yeah, that's the only thing I really didn't like about the switch from clamshell to all white a few years ago -- my G3 had numerous scratches after just a couple of days of gentle handling.

Cross
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 03:52 PM

Very nice, I like the logo the way it is.. now to do that with black to my ti book hehehe... looks like I am going to Home Depot today!
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 28, 2006, 08:43 AM

very nice. like the brushed-metal look.

HowEver
Jun 30, 2006, 06:31 PM

That's a great look. Makes me wonder what it would look like on a black MacBook.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 06:48 AM

The light showing through the metal is bad as hell, I love it. I just like that kind of thing though, I was amazed at the iMac G5 sleep light for wuite a while after I saw it for the first time.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 01:39 PM

I actually like the black strips on the top. If I get a macbook, I know exactly what Im doin with it now.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 01:48 PM

Looks like the macbook is trying to be a Dell..lol
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 02:57 PM

Now that you mention it, it does look a bit like a dell with the metal.

davoomac
Aug 1, 2006, 06:32 PM

Pretty sweet. too bad you can't put brushed metal on the inside too!
13" Macbook-ipad 64GB WIFI-ipod nano 8GB

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cross
Very nice, I like the logo the way it is.. now to do that with black to my ti book hehehe... looks like I am going to Home Depot today!
you can actually have your ti pb anodized black....it would def be one of a kind, im thinking of doing it myself.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 03:09 PM

Honestly it looks like a cheap PC to me...
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 03:12 PM

Some of you are harsh. It looks much nicer than "a cheap PC", etc...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ham Sandwich
Aug 24, 2006, 02:18 PM

hey!
good work!
people who appreciate your work would really try doing that!

HowEver
Sep 23, 2006, 08:23 AM

I'm just wondering how the "metal" film is holding up, whether it has needed to be replaced and how difficult the tape has been with respect to leaving sticky residue.

HowEver
Oct 1, 2006, 01:47 AM

I've asked the OP for an update, either by private message or here in this thread.

Also, has anyone else tried this? I'm wondering whether there is residue from the metal effects contact film or linerless splicing tape, and if there is what it's like and how should it be cleaned.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2006, 03:02 AM

That is pretty nicely done. I would love for apple to bring back the aluminum 12" laptops, but it'll never happen.
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2006, 03:03 AM

After a month it was holding up well, but alas. My MacBook fell victim to sudden shutdown syndrome. We replaced the logic board (at that time the heatsink defect wasn't know yet). After that didn't work I was swapped out to a new MacBook. Because I didn't trust the new machine completely, I didn't redo the mod on the new unit.

Taking the film off prior to taking the machine into service meant some cleaning with alcohol. Took about an hour to make it look like a brand new stock machine.

BTW, my 2nd MacBook also failed after a month. Hopefully, the newly found heatsink defect will be corrected and I'll finally have a MacBook that doens't suddenly shut down.

HowEver
Oct 1, 2006, 07:49 AM

Thanks, I appreciate hearing about how the mod worked out, although it is saddening to read about the shutdown problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules