Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Battery Recall

Powerbook Battery Recall
Phil333
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 01:16 PM

From the WSJ:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple Computer Inc. is issuing its own big recall of laptop computer batteries, on the heels of a recall by rival Dell Inc. that cast a harsh light on the perils of a widely used battery technology.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said Apple plans to recall 1.1 million batteries in the United States, plus 700,000 batteries sold in other countries. The batteries were made for Apple by a unit Sony Corp.

A CPSC spokesman said Apple's move is the second-largest recall on record in the computer and consumer-electronics sectors.

The recall affects lithium-ion batteries, which have been linked to reports of overheating and fires. The batteries were designed for Apple iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 models that were purchased between October 2003 and August 2006, the CPSC spokesman said.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 01:21 PM

PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 01:48 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 02:01 PM

Here is the page where you can request a replacement battery. One of my two 12" PowerBook batteries qualified. I believe it's the one from my first 12" PowerBook. The one that came with my current one (a 1.33Ghz model) seems to be OK.

http://support.apple.com/ibook_power...nge/index.html

Not good PR for Apple, I guess, but it's not too bad compared to Dell's problems. And it's cool that I'm getting a new battery -- mine was just starting to show its age.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 02:05 PM

By the way, the site below which was given in one of the articles (and which was in the email Apple sent to me after I requested a new battery) does not yet work.

http://www.apple.com/support/batteryprogram

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Here is the page where you can request a replacement battery. One of my two 12" PowerBook batteries qualified. I believe it's the one from my first 12" PowerBook. The one that came with my current one (a 1.33Ghz model) seems to be OK.

http://support.apple.com/ibook_power...nge/index.html

Not good PR for Apple, I guess, but it's not too bad compared to Dell's problems. And it's cool that I'm getting a new battery -- mine was just starting to show its age.

Thanks for the link. I think the big looser in this is Sony. As far as teh Dell thing goes I would like to see the % of the total of units. I would imagine that Dell has more than 4 times as many laptops shipped as Apple.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 02:16 PM

on the phone now holding for apple. tryed the online thing but it says my battery isnt in this when the serial# matches up. good timing for this since i was needing a battery. i only get about 1hr off mine now.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 04:31 PM

Yes it is weird. My 2 batteries are in the range recalled 6N530 - 6N551 (mine are 6N541..) Yet, when I try to replace online it says they don't qualify. Very strange. Seems like they have a software glitch as well as battery issues. The phone line for this issue is down right now - and they refer you to the Web.

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
Yes it is weird. My 2 batteries are in the range recalled 6N530 - 6N551 (mine are 6N541..) Yet, when I try to replace online it says they don't qualify. Very strange. Seems like they have a software glitch as well as battery issues. The phone line for this issue is down right now - and they refer you to the Web.
Same here, it says my 12" pb falls in the range, but my battery number doesn't match (even though it falls within the range given on the recall website 3K428 - 3K611)

Guess I'm going to have to wait till later to order the battery
( Last edited by sammjordan; Aug 24, 2006 at 05:00 PM. )

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 04:58 PM

i've got a 15" pb whose battery is within the range, but online it states it doesn't validate. glad to see there are others experiencing this, as well. hopefully they fix the glitch soon.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 04:59 PM

after a half-hour on hold (thank god for speakerphones), told the ONLY way to do this is online.

and...page won't load.
will try late night...

crazy, but there are probaby a million people trying to open that page right now (or twelve people, or something... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

FiftiesDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 05:17 PM

waited 15 minutes on the phone b/c they page kept saying my battery serial # was invalid, even though it was in the range. phone support took care of it no problem. the guy said they can override the website (they were having problems with the serial #s not going through). pretty painless process, only would have been easier if I could do it web-based.

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 05:31 PM

Man, what is going on at applecare? First the exchange website doesn't recognize correct serial numbers; now whenever I call applecare and select the battery exchange option, I get a message that starting August 1st, 2005 technical support over the phone will be discontinued and only available online via online chat, then it hangs up on me

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by FiftiesDean
waited 15 minutes on the phone b/c they page kept saying my battery serial # was invalid, even though it was in the range. phone support took care of it no problem. the guy said they can override the website (they were having problems with the serial #s not going through). pretty painless process, only would have been easier if I could do it web-based.

i will have to go that route because my battery falls within the range but comes up as invalid as well.

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 05:44 PM

I've been on hold for about an hour now and I really have to go to the bathroom! I think at 6pm I'm just going to hang up and try tomorrow. The site says my number is invalid.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:05 PM

woohoo!
mine just went thru (finally).
4 to 6 weeks...

if my 2-year-old 12" pb blows up before the battery gets here, do i get a free mbp??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
woohoo!
mine just went thru (finally).
4 to 6 weeks...

if my 2-year-old 12" pb blows up before the battery gets here, do i get a free mbp??
did you do the exchange online or over the phone?

I gave up on the online page, and now I've been on hold for half and hour on the phone.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 06:15 PM

Im pretty sure my battery is not within range, but it's got a life of less than 1.5 hours, you think I could slide in there and get a new one?

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 06:19 PM

yep, no luck with the website and my ibook g4 battery. the advisory says affected batteries from 6C510-6C626 are under the recall. mine's 6C515 and it's no good. i'll just have to keep trying later.
F = ma

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sammjordan
did you do the exchange online or over the phone?

I gave up on the online page, and now I've been on hold for half and hour on the phone.

skip the phone, they're gonna send you to the webpage.

they suggest...patience. like try at 2am, or in a few days.

i just tried a number of times, until i got thru...

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 06:36 PM

Err, kids, you know that it's not -every- battery in those ranges, right? Just some runs? So when the web site says you are OK, you are OK? And going back and trying again won't change the reality you live in? You understand summarization? You understand set theory?

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:37 PM

Damn... mine isn't in the range! I could have done with a free new battery

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
Im pretty sure my battery is not within range, but it's got a life of less than 1.5 hours, you think I could slide in there and get a new one?
umm. no.

Its a recall because some have the potential to explode not because they are old and don't get a charge like when it was new

Originally Posted by dimmer
Err, kids, you know that it's not -every- battery in those ranges, right? Just some runs? So when the web site says you are OK, you are OK? And going back and trying again won't change the reality you live in? You understand summarization? You understand set theory?
No, if it is within the range it is under recall. That's the POINT of the range.
anyway, i got mine to work after a while. the database is being hit hard and isn't pulling the numbers as it should. If it doesnt work now it should be fine after the rush is over. Try tomorrow or off peak hours. So in 6 weeks I should have the replacement because IT IS WITHIN THE RANGE

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer
Wrong.

"If the first 5 digits of your battery’s 12-digit serial number fall within the noted ranges, please order a replacement battery immediately."

Edit: Finally got through on the phone, it seems like the entire database of numbers isn't working. Even on the phone, the rep was saying the number was showing as not affected, but he can get around it. He said I should expect the battery w/in 4-6 weeks
( Last edited by sammjordan; Aug 24, 2006 at 07:24 PM. )

Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:06 PM

Pulled the battery out my Al PB 1.25 G4 and was surpised at it's condition. The bottom of the battery had a washboard affect which looked to me the result of getting very warm or hot. The rows of individual cells were readily apparent. This is an Apple replacement battery I purchased in the beginning of summer, and falls within the recall.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 07:44 PM

My MBP battery and two 12" PowerBook G4 batteries fall within the range, and was able to get them to register on the website. The battery for my iBook also falls within the range, but is not recognized by the online system. Since I haven't used the iBook in a year, I'm not too worried about the battery right now; I'll try again in a few days.

3-5 days (hooray) for the new MBP battery. 4-6 weeks (booo) for the two 12" PBG4 batteries.


slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:46 PM

So do both the Model Number AND the Serial Number have to match to be in the recall?

The battery I just bought a couple of weeks ago has a matching model # (A1148), however the first 5 digits of the serial number don't fall within the ranges (6N604).

The online serial # check said it didn't qualify, but I guess that's not to be trusted at this point.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad
So do both the Model Number AND the Serial Number have to match to be in the recall?

The battery I just bought a couple of weeks ago has a matching model # (A1148), however the first 5 digits of the serial number don't fall within the ranges (6N604).

The online serial # check said it didn't qualify, but I guess that's not to be trusted at this point.
Yes. If your battery's serial # (first 5 digits) don't fall in to the range, even if its the same model number, you don't need to replace your battery.

Model # right now is less important. For example, all 15" MacBook Pro batteries have the same model #, but not all need replacing.


slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. Good news!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
My MBP battery and two 12" PowerBook G4 batteries fall within the range, and was able to get them to register on the website. The battery for my iBook also falls within the range, but is not recognized by the online system. Since I haven't used the iBook in a year, I'm not too worried about the battery right now; I'll try again in a few days.

3-5 days (hooray) for the new MBP battery. 4-6 weeks (booo) for the two 12" PBG4 batteries.
So the MBP is also included? The articles indicated that it was only the PowerBook G4 and iBook G4. What about the MacBook?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 08:52 PM

This came a bit faster than I expected. Sony buggered up a LOT of cells that went into a LOT of batteries, and Apple didn't dodge that bullet-which should not surprise anyone.

I'll be very interesed to hear how well this process goes and any feedback anyone has from Dell's process.

By the way, the recall apparently does NOT include any MBP batteries. Look at the CPSC site tooki linked to-only 12" iBook G4s, 12" PB G4s and 15" PB G4s are affected.

My wife's iBook serial number is "eligible," but the battery serial number is not-and it's marked "Made in Taiwan." Are the eligible batteries marked "Made in Japan," as Dell's bad batteries are?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter

My wife's iBook serial number is "eligible," but the battery serial number is not-and it's marked "Made in Taiwan." Are the eligible batteries marked "Made in Japan," as Dell's bad batteries are?
nope, mine qualified and its marked made in Taiwan

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 09:00 PM

Update: THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT SITES. My wife's battery, which did not qualify on the site linked above DID on the other site.

In this iBook forum thread, Briareus says
Originally Posted by Briareus
Interesting that one of the support docs (https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html) only lists iBook batteries with HQ serials, while another (https://support.apple.com/ibook_powe...tteryexchange/) lists ZZ, 3K, and 6C serials.
Very interesting, eh? I suggest everyone who thinks their battery is excluded also check the second site (the "support.apple.com" site).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 09:09 PM

Well here's my experience

the depot site didn't recognise either of my batteries

the support site does recognise one but not the other ie. it's reported incorrectly as invalid or not recallable.

Update: THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT SITES. My wife's battery, which did not qualify on the site linked above DID on the other site.

In this iBook forum thread, Briareus saysVery interesting, eh? I suggest everyone who thinks their battery is excluded also check the second site (the "support.apple.com" site).

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 09:45 PM

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering a replacement battery. Your request is currently being processed.

It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive. Please note that shipping time may vary due to availability of your battery model.

Battery Exchange Program details and an FAQ may be found at:

http://support.apple.com/batteryprogram

We appreciate your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple

My dell was not on the list but the iBook was.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 09:50 PM

In this iBook forum thread, Briareus saysVery interesting, eh? I suggest everyone who thinks their battery is excluded also check the second site (the "support.apple.com" site).
If I'm not mistaken, the depot.apple site is for an earlier battery recall (2005, batteries made by LG Chem Ltd. of South Korea), while the support.apple site is the newer recall (Sony batteries made in China, Taiwan or Japan). For those of you who have valid serial numbers but Apple's web site won't accept them, I suggest trying again. I could not get the site to accept my serial number all day today, but it did about 15 minutes ago. It seems Apple was not quite prepared for everyone wanting new batteries at once (now I wonder how long it will take for me to get my new battery). Hope this helps clear some of the confusion!

Chris

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_G
If I'm not mistaken, the depot.apple site is for an earlier battery recall (2005, batteries made by LG Chem Ltd. of South Korea), while the support.apple site is the newer recall (Sony batteries made in China, Taiwan or Japan). For those of you who have valid serial numbers but Apple's web site won't accept them, I suggest trying again. I could not get the site to accept my serial number all day today, but it did about 15 minutes ago. It seems Apple was not quite prepared for everyone wanting new batteries at once (now I wonder how long it will take for me to get my new battery). Hope this helps clear some of the confusion!

Chris
That is correct. The earlier (much smaller-scale) recall has been around for a while. My PowerBook didn't quality for that recall, but does for the new one.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 11:57 PM

got both batteries for my 15" powerbook i bought in november and also the 12" powerbook i bout in november as well. when i took the 15" battery out it had the same washboard effect as described earlier. i wonder if my laptop will run cooler with the new battery? i was only getting 1 1/2 hours 2 hours if lucky out of it also...hopefully that gets better also....

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 02:00 AM

I just got this message to the top of the page just above the main title..

fbdev.apple.com TEST DB

and all of a sudden it recognises my PB, but not my battery. Looks like someone's working on the database.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 07:18 AM

Well a lot of people have replacement batteries from that recall that are elligble for this recall.

Originally Posted by Icruise
That is correct. The earlier (much smaller-scale) recall has been around for a while. My PowerBook didn't quality for that recall, but does for the new one.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 08:41 AM

My computer/battery was eligible, this is the seond new battery apple has exchanged in a recall for my 15" Powerbook.

My latest battery did get quite warm and it only lasts 2 hours now, so a new one will be a welcome addition!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 09:07 AM

The website didn't recognize the serial # on my 12" PB battery last night, but did this morning.

So, it looks like they've resolved at least some of their problems. If you were having trouble last night, try again this morning!

Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:17 AM

The Apple sight acknowleged both my computer and battery. Interestingly, my battery was a replacement Apple battery bought at the beginning of summer. 4-6 weeks delivery. I bet it's sooner. I wonder if replacements would be available at the local Apple Store?

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
yep, no luck with the website and my ibook g4 battery. the advisory says affected batteries from 6C510-6C626 are under the recall. mine's 6C515 and it's no good. i'll just have to keep trying later.
it appears that the serial number range(s) has been shifted up and my battery no longer qualifies for the exchange. the original range was 6C510-6C626 and is now 6C519 through 6C552
F = ma

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 10:40 AM

It isn't working for me. I have a 15" PowerBook battery model no. A1148, SN:6N542. I keep getting a screen saying that my battery isn't eligible for a replacement. My battery is clearly in the affected model number range. Do I have to call apple or something?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 11:18 AM

Are out of warranty batteries eligible for the recall?

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:23 AM

About the problems owners are currently facing in getting the website to recognise the serial numbers correctly and also that apple's phone lines are constantly busy.

Apple could handle this better a number of ways.

1. admit there's a problem and say so on their web site.
2. make it clear whether or not it's actually possible to get thru to the phone people
or whether in fact you must do this thru the web site which currently does not work
3. they should make a public statement that clarifys whether batteries purchased in addition to the one with the machine are covered by the program if the meet the serial # range criteria.

Originally Posted by Orion27
Are out of warranty batteries eligible for the recall?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rydmerlin
About the problems owners are currently facing in getting the website to recognise the serial numbers correctly and also that apple's phone lines are constantly busy.

Apple could handle this better a number of ways.

1. admit there's a problem and say so on their web site.
2. make it clear whether or not it's actually possible to get thru to the phone people
or whether in fact you must do this thru the web site which currently does not work
3. they should make a public statement that clarifys whether batteries purchased in addition to the one with the machine are covered by the program if the meet the serial # range criteria.
If you read the posts here, you will see batteries which fall within the recall parameter, whether
the original battery or a subsequent Apple replacement are covered. Common sense tells me initially, especially during businesss hours, trying to get through to Apple may be hit or miss.
Try after hours or early morning. ( 2am not 9am) . I think Apple has admitted they were provided with batteries which did not perform to Apple Specs. Although this is an Apple issue, the problems lay with Sony. I just logged on the the Apple recall page with no problem. https://support09.apple.com/index.html

Morbiato
Aug 25, 2006, 11:47 AM

Here in the UK I put all relevant details into the online form this morning [Friday] and got an automated reply - very quickly - which says:

"It will take approximately 3 to 5 business days for your replacement battery to arrive. Please note that shipping times may vary due to availability."

Awaiting the new one with eager anticipation but not holding my breath............

Seems odd to me that Apple say that you can go on using the one they're replacing - at huge expense - without any problems!

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:49 AM

Good luck getting thru at 2am.

"Please check the serial number and try again. Or, in the United States, call 800-275-2273 between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST for further assistance. For other countries, please use our contact page to find the appropriate support number. "

Secondly, I don't care who the problems lay with. Apple has the obligation to it's customers whether they own AAPL or not. I can hardly get my battery replaced by Sony so that means nothing to me. Sure they are the reason why Apple is having to recall the batteries but they aren't the reason why Apple hasn't implemented the solution correctly.

I called this morning at 6:40PST and it was still busy.

Originally Posted by Orion27
If you read the posts here, you will see batteries which fall within the recall parameter, whether
the original battery or a subsequent Apple replacement are covered. Common sense tells me initially, especially during businesss hours, trying to get through to Apple may be hit or miss.
Try after hours or early morning. ( 2am not 9am) . I think Apple has admitted they were provided with batteries which did not perform to Apple Specs. Although this is an Apple issue, the problems lay with Sony.

Forum Links
Forum Rules