Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new iWalk product pics/movies. looks genuine.

new iWalk product pics/movies. looks genuine.
jamex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 01:41 AM

www.spymac.com Looks like a new newton PDA. Check it out.

Titania's Oberon
Jan 3, 2002, 01:50 AM

!! YAWN !!

And this is in PowerMac forum because... ?

jamex  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 02:18 AM

because there's a G5 in that puppy =P

i guess there's just no impressing some people. perhaps others may find it a tad more intriguing than you. the videos look pretty convincing.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by jamex:
<STRONG>because there's a G5 in that puppy =P

i guess there's just no impressing some people. perhaps others may find it a tad more intriguing than you. the videos look pretty convincing.</STRONG>
The videos and pictures are riddled with blunders, there's a discussion going on at AppleInsider.

Titania's Oberon
Jan 3, 2002, 03:23 AM

No doubt Jamex also explains the chip in back of his neck as a G5.

:ROFL:

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 03:24 AM

Actually I have the video and it looks just like my old newton did, the fonts are the same and hand recognition looked exactly the same. The cursor on the screen even flashed. It did not look foney.

However that said, I WILL be pissed if the iWalk is what all the fuss is about.

SpeadFreek
Jan 3, 2002, 03:27 AM

Peripherals! Lounge! better yet: TRASH

Moderators, help!

This iWalk rubbish belongs in one of those.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: SpeadFreek ]
PowerMac Dual G5
2.6GHz 1.5Gig 145GigDeskStar

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 3, 2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by jamex:
<STRONG>www.spymac.com Looks like a new newton PDA. Check it out.</STRONG>
Actually, if you look a tthe video close up, it looks extremely faked to me...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

iMan
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 01:06 PM

I think the video and the pictures look pretty real. I've been waiting to get a handheld to see if Apple introduces one. I think I like the iWalk.

What I think will be interesting is how much they price it at. Most likely the same price as the iPod. I will probably get one. I've already been saving for a Handspring. I'll just save to save a little more.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jan 3, 2002, 02:17 PM

This probably isn't the right forum for this thread, but if this thing is real I really hope this isn't what all the hype is about. Doesn't seem like something that big.

Mike

oeyvind
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 02:27 PM

Apple usually will register domain of her product's name, i.e. ipod.com, powerbook.com, iMac.com, etc.. (except ibook.com as I noticed)

iWalk.com? Nada man... see:

<font face = "courier">
Registrant:
Puget Sound Network, inc.
1521 Queen Anne Ave. N
Suite H
Seattle, WA 98109
US

Domain Name: IWALK.COM

Sponsoring Reseller; for Technical Support
with respect to this domain contact:
Puget Sound Network, Inc., [email protected]
206-217-0400

Administrative Contact:
Administrator, DNS [email protected]
1521 Queen Anne Ave. N
Suite H
Seattle, WA 98109
US
206-217-0400

Technical Contact:
1521 Queen Anne Ave N.
Suite H
Seattle, WA 98109
US
206-217-0400

Billing Contact:
1521 Queen Anne Ave. N
Suite H
Seattle, WA 98109
US
206-217-0400

Record last updated on 09-Dec-2001.
Record expires on 09-Apr-2002.
Record Created on 08-Apr-1997.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.PSNI.NET 208.186.4.2
NS2.PSNI.NET 208.186.4.28

</font>

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: oeyvind ]

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2002, 02:28 PM

Actually, it is big. Look at the size of that thing! There is no way that apple would release a pda (or a ppc for that matter) That is that big. Who wants to carry that around ? It's the complete opposite of the iPod. The iWalk "All of your contacts, and appointments...in something as big as a volkswagon". I just can't see apple making a palm after what jobs' said at the ipod introduction. He said that in his board meetings and such that the number of people using a palm device has gone down immensly in the past months, and He's right sales of the palm devices are at an all time low. Well, this is just my opinion, so I'll stop rambling

Anim8r

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>

Actually, if you look a tthe video close up, it looks extremely faked to me...</STRONG>
Yes, just on the sayhello video, the text stays motionless while the entire unit jiggles until the very end when the unit shifts and the text (or photoshop layer) shifts with it. Also there are 2 clocks on that screen too (why you would need to beats me) and they don't match. The handwriting vs the output looks suspicious.

In the bootup video, when the wheel is turned, the wheel initially does not turn despite being turned, then a second later, the wheel "jumps" to a different position and begins to turn. The hand in the meanwhile continues move at a constant rate, so that this can not be attributed to a dropped frame. The turnaround video of course fails to turn it on for obvious reasons.

Where's the backlight? It's a very reflective color screen (except for the bootup video where the screen is amazingly unreflective as if the images for that video were just pasted on) that is amazingly easy to read in all types of lighting. The screen itself is dark especially around the edges. There appears to be a ceiling light above the shadow - it's not natural backlight. If such a screen existed, all laptops would be using it and we'd have a 10 hour battery life. Instead it looks like a high quality printout has been placed behind a shiny sheet of plastic in all of the pictures including the sayhello pic where the text was digitally photoshopped on.

...and so on, there are many other flaws in this as well.

This guy went thru the trouble of creating half a dozen fake 3d renderings before this, he has no life. He had all the time in the world to create this.

hayesk
Jan 3, 2002, 03:12 PM

BTW, the two clocks aren't both clocks. The one above the note was when that note was created, at least that's how the Newton worked - there was a date/time bar between each note.

Anyway, I vote for fake. Look at the screen, it goes right to the edge of the plastic. There would be at least a small black border around the screen, otherwise you would lose pixels behind the plastic's rounded corners.

And that supposedly gigawire port in the top middle - come on, it looks like a 25-pin parallel port without the screw holes. Apple would surely use a more modern connector.

Also, in the turnaround video, look at the shadows supposedly from his right hand on the unit near the end of the video. The shadow projected onto the iWalk is way too far away from the hand to be real. The light source would have to be in view for the shadow to be that far away - which it isn't.

While it looks like a neat machine, that video is definitely fake, and I doubt the authenticity of the device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules