Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bringing the Lounge back to its former glory

Bringing the Lounge back to its former glory (Page 6)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In my defense, I only compared Venture Brothers affect on me to ATHF. I got the Johnny Quest part just fine (I saw Johnny in first run, by the way), but the overwhelming nature of the pop references turned me off. It's not like in Family Guy, where it's all psychedelic and nothing is really supposed to make sense, it's just in your face.
I never got the impression from Family Guy that things weren't supposed to make sense (That's ATHFs claim to fame), more that the writers don't care whether you get their joke or not. Anyway, I'm curious about which Venture episode you watched. One of the few shows that runs in a half-hour block, it actually carries a plot. I have no idea how you find it more random than Sealab. That show was the epitome of random before Aqua Teen came along.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Actually, if I'm reading his posts correctly, he didn't mean it in fun.
I wasn't gonna clear that up, but... yeah.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I can't see Kevin saying something like that at all. His main "features" were endless arguments over semantics, the inability to admit he was wrong or made an error, constant pedantic criticism of MacNN moderation, condescendence, hypocrisy, and grammatical redundancy. I've never known him to make jokes like that, at least not recently.
So... how long did it take for you to come up with that laundry list?

Originally Posted by subego View Post
There was no way you could have made your point other than taking a shot at someone who can't defend themselves?

Wow, just wow.
You know, I'm just glad this taboo **** of not talking about the banned hasn't carried over to Kevin's exile. Why is it so wrong to talk about a banned (or banninated) users flaws? The guy was a pretty polarizing figure, let alone devisive. Just because his actions caused him to get the boot (or because people here still like him) we're not allowed to mention his (arguable) flaws?

This MacNN, anyway. There's always a user willing to take up defense in the absence of another.

Edit: Looks like my observation that there hasn't been a controversial 5+ page in a while just got killed

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:50 AM

I know he's not here to defend himself, but his "Sixteenth Chapel" mistake, and 5-page self-defense was a serious internet classic. We are diminished in the humor aspect of his buffonery at least.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:52 AM

The sad thing is I remember when I started posting in the Lounge regularly because I got into some massive argument with him in a thread over whether Christmas is a secular holiday or two holidays, etc. back in 05. I remember at the time thinking, "This guys been in arguments with everyone, I guess it was my time eventually."

BTW, I think I'm one of those horrible PL people analogika alluded to earlier (Sorry, analogika).

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Edit: Looks like my observation that there hasn't been a controversial 5+ page in a while just got killed
I don't think navel-gazing meta-threads like this one really count.

Typically, I find that with a few exceptions, by the time a thread gets to 5 pages, it has turned to crap. A notable exception is Eug's US Dollar thread. Eug updates it every so often and we talk about it, but somehow it hasn't turned into crap yet. I haven;t even ventured into the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray or Al Gore threads yet, I'm afraid at what might find there....

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I don't think navel-gazing meta-threads like this one really count.
Why you... let's fight!

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Typically, I find that with a few exceptions, by the time a thread gets to 5 pages, it has turned to crap.
Hence my observation. Everything was flaming out 2-3 pages like Britney Spears career. Nothing fun and prolonged. Nothing epic.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 11:19 AM

Why you... let's fight!
Sorry, can't fight now, I'm too busy gazing at my navel!

Hence my observation. Everything was flaming out 2-3 pages like Britney Spears career. Nothing fun and prolonged. Nothing epic.
"Flaming out" is a good analogy to use. It's like once someone gets offended, everything escalates quickly until there is no choice but to put the thread down. And since what one person finds fun someone else invariably finds offensive, nothing fun ever happens anymore.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by boots View Post
A couple of people (like olepigeon, just looking at the current front page of threads) will post really interesting things. Not just pop curiosity, but something they are genuinely interested in. Like hand made vacuum tubes. And people will make a few good responses, then the vultures will set in. It happens in every thread that starts of with substance.
"Yeah, I read digg.com too."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

The Lounge was a happier place when the video game threads were still here.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The people who "care deeply" in the PL have turned into zealots as often as not
Actually, most of the one who aren't right-wing zealots or just in it for the fight have just left, if you'll notice.

A couple have crawled out of the woodwork in this thread, but a bunch haven't, since they just stopped coming here altogether, and almost none of us have visited the Political Lounge in ages - some in years.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 10, 2008, 01:29 PM

I agree with what Starman mentioned in his original post. While I rarely post in the lounge I have always visited it more than the other forums because it was so entertaining But it really fell off I would say a few years ago. It used to be filled with truly clever, insightful posts, and while there still are a dash of those in here, for the most part its snide comments, rudeness, tag team back scratchers(whatt?????) and people who think they are clever but really are fakin it. I used to read posts in here back in the day and LOL constantly, and think about how clever these people were- I realized I wasnt in that league and was happy just reading and not pretending to be clever and ultimately exposing myself as a faker too. I think all online forums have seen their hayday go bye bye. Its all about the memories man

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

hart
Senior User
Jan 10, 2008, 01:35 PM

So I skipped pages 3, 4 and 5 blah blah blah yadda yadda...

I've been trying to decide if the GSP (Grammar and Spelling Police) are an inhibiting factor or a plus. Half the time the first bunch of replies are a bunch of snotty GSP corrections which can be quite irritating. On the other hand, I was thinking yesterday that in this era of half-baked education maybe that's the only way good grammar and spelling is going to get passed down to a younger generation.

I spent a bit of time yesterday reading some forums at Rooster Teeth. Clearly most of the posters are barely in high school if that. They could really use a visit from the GSP. A good portion of the posts were rendered incomprehensible by poor execution.

Anyway, question is, would a lightening up of the snippy grammar critiques help around here?

PS somewhere way back in the thread someone said getting more female members would make it better. Here's a helpful hint: when someone reveals that they are, in fact, female it is best not to reply something along the lines of "hubba hubba, post a picture of your boobies" or anything similar unless you want to DISCOURAGE female posters. Just a hint from a largely incognito female member who's been reading the Lounge for a while.
( Last edited by hart; Jan 10, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: adding a thought)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
So I skipped pages 3, 4 and 5 blah blah blah yadda yadda...

I've been trying to decide if the GSP (Grammar and Spelling Police) are an inhibiting factor or a plus. Half the time the first bunch of replies are a bunch of snotty GSP corrections which can be quite irritating. On the other hand, I was thinking yesterday that in this era of half-baked education maybe that's the only way good grammar and spelling is going to get passed down to a younger generation.

I spent a bit of time yesterday reading some forums at Rooster Teeth. Clearly most of the posters are barely in high school if that. They could really use a visit from the GSP. A good portion of the posts were rendered incomprehensible by poor execution.

Anyway, question is, would a lightening up of the snippy grammar critiques help around here?

I think it depends on how well having stuff pointed out is received, your history with that individual, and what flaws the GSP choose to point out. I'm still learning and trying to make adjustments here, but I do think there is a balance even if I haven't found it yet.

Making consistent mistakes with there/they're/their, too/to, your/you're, basic punctuation, etc. is a far cry from the odd run-on sentence or other (consistent) mistakes with more advanced grammatical structures. Making the aforementioned mistakes consistently makes the writer seem like an absolute dumbass, and I know if it were me I would like to have this politely pointed out to me. Yet, of course, everybody responds differently. I guess it's about picking battles wisely...

Moreover, if we are trying to attract high level discussion here (and I think we are), being totally indifferent to these kind of things may result to the discourse sounding very similar to YouTube or MySpace comments, which would certainly deter me from coming here... I'm sure it would deter others too. I don't want to hang out exclusively with people with the intellectual or emotional expressive capacity of a teenager - I prefer the mix.

I also believe in pushing people like that along. I was pushed along, and I've grown to appreciate it. It is unfair to expect that everybody come down to the level of a MySpace/Facebook kiddy rather than them attempt to rise to ours... A mix of both seems more appropriate to me.

My two cents...
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 10, 2008 at 02:00 PM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 01:58 PM

Unless there's a genuine reason for it - English not being the first language, dyslexia, too young to know better - poor spelling and/or grammar is just laziness. And if you can't be bothered to go through the effort to at least spell-check your posts I can't go through the effort of reading them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 02:43 PM

Even if I'm sending a text message I always use complete sentences, proper spelling, and correct punctuation.

You can thank AIM for creating people with no idea how to type a well thought out statement.
( Last edited by sek929; Jan 10, 2008 at 02:53 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Even if I'm sending a text message I always use complete sentences, proper spelling, and correct punctuation.
I refuse to use apostrophes seeing as how deep (button presses) their hidden. By the same token I'll write out Ten for the same reason.

You can thank AIM for creating people with no idea how to type a well though out statement.
My reliance on spell check in these forum text boxes becomes readily apparent once we are conversing in real-time.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 02:51 PM

You can thank AIM for creating people with no idea how to type a well thoug out statement.

I take it you AIM a lot?

Kidding... just kidding.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 02:53 PM

I have an excellent vocabulary, but I can't spell worth shite....having an auto spell check within the browser was the greatest thing since unsliced bread.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 02:54 PM

Good spelling is a gift from God. You either have it or you don't.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I take it you AIM a lot?

Kidding... just kidding.
Haha, I hate sticking my foot into my mouth like that...

I always have problems when the word I've misspelled is a word by itself.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 02:55 PM

Well it's not that I can't spell, it's that I can't type...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 02:56 PM

You can't play Halo 3 either!

BURN!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 02:57 PM

Your mom!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
II also believe in pushing people like that along. I was pushed along, and I've grown to appreciate it. It is unfair to expect that everybody come down to the level of a MySpace/Facebook kiddy rather than them attempt to rise to ours... A mix of both seems more appropriate to me.
My two cents...
Except you come off as a grammar nazi. I've virtually ignored any post you have when you correct my grammar. I'll continue to do so and so your pushing has little effect on my grammar.

I readily admit that my grammar is poor and there are reasons for that to which I do not feel like delving into on an internet forum.

As I've been reading this thread, interacting in it, both in a positive manner and a negative one, I've come to a consensus that a lot of the issues come from one thing.

Pettiness. (i'm just as guilty) I've been petty in arguing with some members, including Besson. People who read any given post fly off and flame the other party. Besson and others feel its their duty to correct grammar or posts. There's a level of pettiness here that does not seem to be decreasing.

I think the Lounge is the most enjoyable, fun and relaxing is when people care more about the content of a post/thread then who wrote it or how it was composed.

Don't get me wrong disagreements are not necessarily bad. We all have beliefs that are deeply rooted, such as my Christian faith. we can argue and disagree on the subject matter just not get down and dirty with the petty bickering that has taken over this place to a large extent.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 03:21 PM

^ *le sigh* debates about grammar, or not, are not what lounge glory is about.

Focus, my friends, focus.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 03:53 PM

+1
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
^ *le sigh* debates about grammar, or not, are not what lounge glory is about.

Focus, my friends, focus.
Couldn't agree more... the bitching in this thread represents what killed the lounge, if it is indeed dead.

If so, it was murder!! Murder, I say. And it wasn't me. It wasn't my arch nemesis. It wasn't even global frickin warming.
It was YOU! All of you who lost their sense of humor and sense of style, and possibly a 1987 Honda Civic, green.

You take everything too seriously - much too serious for a Lounge where men dressed in red smoking jackets sip brandy off the nude backs of scantily-clad somewhat elderly women (because we couldn't afford the Playmates we wanted) whilst watching Brady Bunch reruns on a slightly out of focus projection screen TV. Or not.
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 10, 2008 at 04:03 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 04:42 PM

I'm also a fan of the Jeffersons, and the Facts of Life...
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 10, 2008 at 05:18 PM. )

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 04:52 PM

You got it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
You got it.
Thanks!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 05:51 PM

Your mom!
You...you...human paraquat!

Lebowksi HAS to bring a little glory back here.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 06:23 PM

You...you...human paraquat!
That post really tied the thread together.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 06:27 PM

So this was a valued post? Am I wrong?

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2008, 07:08 PM

I don't think so.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Actually, most of the one who aren't right-wing zealots or just in it for the fight have just left, if you'll notice.

A couple have crawled out of the woodwork in this thread, but a bunch haven't, since they just stopped coming here altogether, and almost none of us have visited the Political Lounge in ages - some in years.
I'd have to point out that there are still plenty of left-wing zealots and "I'm not sayin'" zealots populating the PL. I had an "interesting discourse" with one just recently, which is why I don't visit there often. It wasn't as much a discussion as my making points and (to me anyway) him ignoring them and repeating his ideas over and over. I got those ideas the first time, and just wanted to know where they came from-he never did provide any background or sources.

I'll agree that the denizens of the PL are pretty much a different group than here in the regular Lounge. Maybe that's a good thing for now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2008, 08:02 PM

Well it's not that I can't spell, it's that I can't type...
You can't play Halo 3 either!

BURN!
Your mom!
That's my kind of argument! Yay!

What about GTA-San Andreas or Burnout?

Oh, and my fingers get dyslexic when I type-they go phonetic on me for some reason. That leads to lots of dependence on proofing. I go slow sometimes because of that. No, I "am" slow sometimes because of that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 12:11 AM

this thread has been derailed like a top heavy SUV rolling off the road.
now if only there was a sedan with 4 wheel drive and excellent traction that I could use as an analogy to bring this back on track. aha, a subaru!

time to get back to former glory
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 01:15 AM

a devil driven SUV?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
a devil driven SUV?
I think it runs on gasoline.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 01:33 AM

or ciggy butts

freudling
Banned
Jan 11, 2008, 01:43 AM

Skipping to the 6th page, and, surprise, nothing but trash in here.

Yawn.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 01:45 AM

thanks for adding to the pile freudling

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 02:08 AM

It just occurred to me to wonder this:

What is the management's view of the traffic and the tenor and nature of the discussions and interactions here?

Do they care about Lounge glory, past, present or future?

Is it all about traffic so they can earn ad revenue or what?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 02:22 AM

Did someone say Aria?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 02:30 AM

welcome back old timer!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by dillerX View Post
Did someone say Aria?
Oh crap. Que Cipher13.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Oh crap. Que Cipher13.
He doesn't know good booty if it hit him in the face.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by dillerX View Post
He doesn't know good booty if it hit him in the face.
Funny pics. [Photoshop time!] POSSIBLE NWS - Off-Topic - NASIOC

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Aria is *much* finer.

Cipher13
Jan 11, 2008, 03:17 AM

Many years on, and still - she's one chunky bitch. *shudder*

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post

That's what she said!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post

Forum Links
Forum Rules