Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for good backup program

Looking for good backup program
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2007, 10:44 AM

I am relatively new to the Mac and know it's time for a good backup program. I have looked and seen backup programs such as Silverkeeper and Retrospect. I will be backing up to a hard drive that's attached to a airdisk and at times as well to a Lacie Firewire drive. I keep the Lacie in a safe for a 2nd backup in case of fire/theft or failure of my main backup.
Also I keep a 3rd backup on DVD offsite but this one isn't backed up often.
The way I like to do my backups on my server drive is on a weekly basis do a complete system backup and on a daily basis at night do a backup of any data (safari favorites, documents, quickbooks data, etc).
I have been a PC user for years and used Acronis most of the time and would either do a system backup or select certain directories to backup. I tried a trial of Silverkeeper when i first got my system. Maybe I did something wrong but it seemed hard to use and seemed to only have the full system backup option. What are some backup programs I should try? I know TimeMachine is coming out but I at least need a good solution until Oct.

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 24, 2007, 10:54 AM

I've been using Déjà-Vu for some time now, never falied me and fits your request:
http://propagandaprod.com/

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2007, 10:58 AM

I've had Deja-Vu and it works well but I prefer Sync for it's interface and reliability (I have had problems with Deja Vu and it's developer is stubborn).

Either program is good though.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 03:31 PM

Check Page 39 of the February issue of MacWorld as they have a review of 5 backup programs. I use Synk which was not reviewed at the time. It's a good article. It may be online by this time.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 04:15 PM

SuperDuper is a great application for cloning. It's great for having a bootable backup in case you do something to hose your primary system.

But it doesn't prevent things like deleting a file and realizing a week later that you didn't want to do that. For that, ChronoSync is great.

Personally, I use both -- SuperDuper to clone 3x/week, and ChronoSync to do a file-level backup (where deletions are not propagaged) to a NAS device 1x/week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules