Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > We've received a 1.5 Ghz Mac mini

We've received a 1.5 Ghz Mac mini
brother337
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 03:54 PM

I just set up my co-workers 1.42 Ghz Mac mini and discovered that it's actually a 1.5 Ghz model with a 64 meg Radeon 9200 and 8x Superdrive. Don't know if bluetooth has been upgraded and don't know if hard drive is any faster. Here are the system profiler screens:

[IMG]/Users/dlee/Desktop/processor.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]/Users/dlee/Desktop/graphics.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]/Users/dlee/Desktop/superdrive.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]/Users/dlee/Desktop/bluetooth.jpg[/IMG]

These haven't been announced or confirmed yet, right? Must've been a screwup because the box it came in lists it as a 1.42 Ghz model.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 03:54 PM

Shoot. Can anyone tell me how to post images?
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

patioman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 03:56 PM

I use Photobucket: http://photobucket.com/

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 04:11 PM

Meh,
Photobucket looks like a pain. I'm trying to set up a .mac webpage, but as usual, uploading is wonky. Will post again once the screenshots are set up.
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 04:20 PM

Still a weak GPU if it is only the 9200.

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 04:55 PM

here they are. decided to go with photobucket. I've blotted out the mac address and serial numbers:

[removed oversize images. feel free to replace them as links, or a textual system profiler report. File->Save, choose Plain Text, then cut and paste the relevant sections. Or just cut and paste them from the System Profiler window. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Sep 27, 2005 at 07:25 PM. )
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

WOWSERS! do you think you got lucky or is it their "quiet" roll out...?

jam8
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 05:32 PM

That is pretty smooth

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sonicularulus
WOWSERS! do you think you got lucky or is it their "quiet" roll out...?
Well, we definitely got lucky, because we had ordered (and received) a 1.42 Ghz (from the UCLA computer store) last week, and 1.42 Ghz is what it says on the box. Since we don't have a monitor adapter (ADC to DVI for an old cinema display) I didn't get to check the system profiler until today when I added some new RAM, which is when we made our little discovery.

The rumor sites have been hinting at a quiet rollout. This either means that they're in the channel now or that my co-worker is the lucky recipient of a screw-up.

Either way, anyone who wants to get a new mini should wait and make sure they get the new revision model.

Too bad the GPU still isn't Core Image compatible, but the 64 megs of VRAM should help with Expose and higher resolution monitors, I'd imagine. The Matsushita Uj-845 is nice too (8x with DL). I wonder if the HD is 5400rpm... I don't feel like taking it apart again.
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
Still a weak GPU if it is only the 9200.
64MBs is at least sufficient for pretty much all GUI functions and it is decent for most middle of the road games.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 11:09 PM

>. I wonder if the HD is 5400rpm... I don't feel like taking it apart again.

Why don't you check the System Profiler and get the model number for the HDD, then check at the HDD vendor's website?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 11:40 PM

What kind of hd is in there. The graphcis card is better than the 32 but still seems slow for tiger.

BT 2.0?!?!? fw 800 optic fibers?!?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 12:53 AM

You should be able to google the model number (from System Profiler) for the hard drive and find out pretty quick, but you can be confident that it's a 5400 rpm model, since your coworker apparently got the upgraded mini.

vinster
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 01:50 AM

Schaweet!!1 Apple should keep quiet about any PPC improvements as the next big mkt. push will be the Intel CPU rollouts!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
Schaweet!!1 Apple should keep quiet about any PPC improvements as the next big mkt. push will be the Intel CPU rollouts!
Huh? Apple will be selling PPC Macs through 2007...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

stauter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 10:44 AM

Brother337 Does the id plate on the bottom of the mini you mentioned show its a 1.5 or does it still say its a 1.42

WE just received 3 minis that we custom ordered and they are the 1.42's

thanks
Craig

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 03:00 PM

I just checked the bottom of the mini, and it's still labelled as a 1.42Ghz model.

I checked system profiler again and the hard drive is listed as: ST9808211A, which when googled seems to be a Seagate Momentus 5400.2
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

stauter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 03:06 PM

can you repost the links to the screenshots of the system profiler. I am talking with my apple rep and he says this unit doesn't exist

thanks
Craig

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2005, 03:10 PM

I think the intelligence quotient of the forums dipped a bit with that post.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 03:39 PM

here's the repost of the profiler screens and xbench scores too. Turns out that the hard drive is a Seagate momentus 5400.2 (ST9808211A) and the mini is still labelled as a 1.42Ghz model on the bottom of the unit:

160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 04:19 PM

I have a friend that wants to get a new desktop. He is really thinking hard about a Mac. When this is released I believe that he will drop the cash for one. As a matter of fact I might just have to drop the cash for one also. The upgraded GPU will be nice for what I am looking to do. I still believe that they should have put something that is Core Image compatible. It is still week by todays standards but not bad at all considering it is the lowest end Mac available.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 05:24 PM

This is pretty cool. Brother337, it sounds like you've used other Minis - do you notice this one is any faster? Particularly for things like hard drive access.

I know there was a guy on another forum who claimed he had a new one last week, but it turned out to be a photoshop job, so hope this one is true (not trying to say you're lying anything Brother337).

brother337  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
This is pretty cool. Brother337, it sounds like you've used other Minis - do you notice this one is any faster? Particularly for things like hard drive access.

I know there was a guy on another forum who claimed he had a new one last week, but it turned out to be a photoshop job, so hope this one is true (not trying to say you're lying anything Brother337).
Meh,
honestly you'd have to believe me at your own discretion. I have no way of proving conclusively that these screens aren't photoshop jobs. I'd like to take a picture of the bottom of the mini saying "Mac mini 1.5" but like I said, it's labelled as a 1.42

I've got a hitachi7200 installed in my personal mini1.42 and I'm used to that and it's *very* responsive, so I wasn't able to be objective about the drive that came with my co-workers new mini. It is, however, much quieter and cooler than my drive. I'm assuming that the 5400.2 means 2 meg buffer.

haven't had a chance to test out the superdrive.

I didn't do any sort of scientific test, but it does seem to me that expose is noticeably smoother than it is on my mini1.42 (at least at resoultions of 1280x1024 and below) so the 64 megs of VRAM seem to count for something.
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 08:07 PM

0.08GHz faster!!!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

vinster
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Actually, I think your reply, besides being of no value whatsoever, takes it down a notch further.

I stand by my statement, the next big market push for Apple begins with the Intel-based models. Until then, Apple should roll out any PPC improvements quietly.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 01:43 AM

I stand by my statement, the next big market push for Apple begins with the Intel-based models. Until then, Apple should roll out any PPC improvements quietly.
Should Apple come up with dual duals in Power Macs or 7448s in PowerBooks and iBooks, I think they should scream about it. It's a long time until the end of 2007 (the expected end of PPC Macs). These would be great improvements. Mini upgrades can certainly remain low-key.

Majexto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Ever think about contributing instead of just flaming people? Does anyone know the actual release date for these where all of them being shipped will be the new model?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 09:13 PM

Check the 40GB drive. It might be a 60Gb formatted for less.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules