Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > What's Your Router/Network Setup?+Poll

View Poll Results: What's your router?
Poll Options:
Apple (Airport) 2 votes (8.33%)
Belkin 1 votes (4.17%)
Buffalo 1 votes (4.17%)
DLink 3 votes (12.50%)
Linksys 11 votes (45.83%)
Netgear 3 votes (12.50%)
Other 3 votes (12.50%)
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
What's Your Router/Network Setup?+Poll
pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 08:12 PM

I recently switched from a Netgear wireless router (WGR614v.4) to a Linksys wireless router (WRG54T v.6). The Linksys has a much better speed and range than the Netgear, especially with security. The Netgear didn't much like Mac OS 10.4+. It was a steady connection but slow.

The Linksys comes with a setup disk (Windows only) if you don't know how to set up through the web interface, etc. I don't know if this one allows firmware upgrades or not.

What are other people using? Pick a brand and tell us whether it's wireless or not and what your experience has been.

I considered the AP Base but at $199 I was like, WTF? $199 for a router????
i look in your general direction

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2006, 10:04 PM

Actually my answer is only partly accurate. Right now I'm using a wired Linksys router and a separate Linksys access point. But I'm also using a USRobotics wired router for its print server and a few extra wired ports. And I have a SpeedStream wired router as a "backup" (how can you pass up a decent router that winds up costing less than $9 after rebate-and less than $30 before!?).

I agree that the "guaranteed to work with Macs" and "cool Apple styling" of AirPort devices do not equate to the very large price difference between any of the other brands' and Apple's prices. Kind of dumb from my point of view.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 10:05 PM

Linksys BEFW11S4v2 (802.11b, WEP only). The web interface could be better but it works 100% in all browsers I've used it in. Originally I had to use Windows to update the firmware, but somewhere along the line it became possible to upgrade directly from the web interface (though there's been no updates for it since then). Used it 24/7 for roughly 4 years... at one point I had a problem where it would stop working and need to be power cycled... I think it was overheating. Moved it and it's been working OK. It was fairly inexpensive, like $60-80 at the time? Can't remember.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 10:09 PM

I have this Westell router/modem that came from the Verizon DSL. And an Airport Express for traveling.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2006, 02:43 AM

At home, I was using a Linksys WRT54G along with a Linksys gigabit switch. After about a year, the switch started acting up on me so I started looking for an alternative. I ended up replacing both Linksys units with a D-Link DGL-4300, a router with gigabit switch built right in.

The D-Link's configuration interface acts a little wierd when used with a Mac, but I had a PC around, so it wasn't a problem for me. Performace wise, I can't detect any difference in my WAN or LAN speeds between the two setups. Even though I don't currently use it, the D-Link has QoS features that the Linksys can only achieve with hacked firmware. I liked the integration of the gigabit switch (less cables) and the fact that there's no fan in the D-Link (the Linksys gigabit switch has a fan that can get noisy at times). The D-Link's configuration interface acts a little wierd when used with a Mac, but I had a PC around, so it wasn't a problem for me. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the DGL-4300.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2006, 07:48 AM

I guess I should have detaile what hardware I have, not just what brand.

Westell model 516 DSL modem (from SBC), BEFSR41 (v3) wired router, WAP54G wireless access point, USRobotics 8000A wired router with print server, SpeedStream 2604 wired router (offline spare)

None of my devices that require configuration give me any problem with the browsers I use to do that-I've never needed to mess with the modem. But some older firmwares in some brands have issues with Java and Javascript, which can cause problems with Safari (and sometimes Firefox on the Mac).

Apfhex, are you thinking of joining the 21st century and replacing that wireless router? I would if for nothing more than the ability to use WPA instead of WEP. Keep an eye out for a sale...

chef, what do you use QoS for? I've never worried about getting a third-party firmware for my equipment because I haven't seen any need for their features...

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
chef, what do you use QoS for? I've never worried about getting a third-party firmware for my equipment because I haven't seen any need for their features...
I'm currently not using the QoS feature but, once my new tower comes, I will use it for gaming purposes.

Thorzdad
Aug 31, 2006, 09:18 PM

Netgear RP614. Cheap, reliable and easy to set-up.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
I'm currently not using the QoS feature but, once my new tower comes, I will use it for gaming purposes.
Since I'm not a gamer, that's not one I'd thought of. Makes lots of sense, though. Cool.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 02:21 AM

My DSL modem is connected to a D-Link D-604, and an additional D-Link (802.11g) D-524 running in bridge mode is connected to the D-604. My G5 is connected to the D-604, and my iBook and Inspiron are connected to the D-524. The setup works well, and I never have any problems configuring the routers from my Macs (only).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 01:30 PM

Since I'm not a gamer, that's not one I'd thought of. Makes lots of sense, though. Cool.
Another popular use for QoS is VOIP.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 01:42 PM

I use a Linksys WRT54G with HyperWRT firmware.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2006, 09:42 AM

Terrayon Terrajet Cable Modem > Pentium 166 running Smoothwall Express 2.0 (Welcome! - SmoothWall) > 100mb switch (8 ports) which goes to most of the other computers and Epson Aculaser C4100 > Draytek Vigor 2600WE (4 ports) (802.11b, wireless turned off) > my computers.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 09:31 AM

Is anybody using these new VoIP routers and modems? Some of them are combo units. I've seen a couple but haven't looked at them much.
i look in your general direction

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 04:16 PM

Apfhex, are you thinking of joining the 21st century and replacing that wireless router? I would if for nothing more than the ability to use WPA instead of WEP. Keep an eye out for a sale...
Well I only really use the wireless with my Nintendo DS these days, in fact that's the only reason I still have the router still set up (I used to have other uses for it). I could use my PB's AirPort card to connect the DS I suppose, but I'm not sure how well that would work out (and it would still only be WEP encrypted).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules