Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got a New Combo Drive 600 ibook for $1,199

Got a New Combo Drive 600 ibook for $1,199
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Loert:
<STRONG>I'll see what drive I have when I get home and I'll rip to see the speed. I'll let you know what I get. I've already cleaned the drive and put 10.1.3 on it. Where can see what type of drive it is? Apple System profiler I guess.</STRONG>
Applications --&gt; Utilities --&gt; Apple System Profiler --&gt; Devices and Volumes.

Try the encoding with the settings I've listed above. Thx.

In OS 9.2.2 I get literally twice the encoding speed as OS X.1.3. That OS 9 speed is what I used to get in OS X.1.2.

P.S. Congrats on your new toy.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

Loert
Feb 28, 2002, 03:47 PM

Circuit City. Who would thought?

The combo Drive 600 ibook's (128, 20GB) box was opened but the computer was unused. I told the guys working there I'd give em $1,100 and we agreed on $1,199. I think I got a good deal but I must admit it was an impulse and and now I'm a bit poorer than I was before.

I love the idea of being to burn CDs and watch movies on the road. I kinda feel like I got a steal. What do you guys think?

Time to go ebay off some of my other computers to pay for this bad boy . . .

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2002, 03:57 PM

Check out this thread.

Which combo drive? Toshiba?

When you get the chance I'd appreciate it if you could test out encoding CDs directly to MP3.

Up until and including OS X.1.2 I would get about 4-6X encoding with my settings (256, normal (not joint) stereo, smart encoding on, filter 10Hz and below on, no concurrent music playing). After the OS X.1.3 upgrade my speeds dropped to 2-3X.

Loert
Feb 28, 2002, 04:47 PM

I'll see what drive I have when I get home and I'll rip to see the speed. I'll let you know what I get. I've already cleaned the drive and put 10.1.3 on it. Where can see what type of drive it is? Apple System profiler I guess.

gacuna
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 10:15 PM

i think that is a pretty good deal, i think it is pretty nice cause well yeah any ibook 600 with a combo is a nice deal at 1119.

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 10:32 PM

what's the deal with the TOSHIBA DVD/CD-RW-drive?

are there different configurations for the iBook/600/DVD/CDRW about?

what other drives were used? are they any better? should i get DVDrive-envy?

no, seriously, iv'e got a:

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2002 (revision 1C30)

- is that the latest & fastest?

just curios: anna[/LIST]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 11:12 PM

Please don't waste forum space. While we're happy that you got a new machine, it really isn't necessary to post it unless there's a shipping shortage or if the product is beginning to ship in quantity. Thanks!

Loert
Feb 28, 2002, 11:23 PM

Sorry to be a forum space waster but I guess Eug will turn this into a legitimate thread.

I'm running 10.1.3 and I'm happily ripping at 5.2X. I love this thing.

The combo drive is - well it doesn't really say? SD-R2002? No mention of Toshiba. It says Apple DVD-ROM/CD-RW and that's it.

Loert

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2002, 12:11 AM

<STRONG>TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2002 (revision 1C30)

- is that the latest & fastest?[/LIST]</STRONG>
Well no. It's fast enough but the new Sony ones are 8X burners.... twice as fast as our Toshibas.

<STRONG>I'm running 10.1.3 and I'm happily ripping at 5.2X. I love this thing.</STRONG>
Hmmmm... Same settings as me? If so, then somehow the update has done something weird for me. Perhaps it's time for a reformat and clean install. Or maybe it's the specific firmware of my drive. (1B29). Whatever the case it's damn annoying.

<STRONG>SD-R2002? No mention of Toshiba. It says Apple DVD-ROM/CD-RW </STRONG>
That's the Toshiba.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

Loert
Mar 1, 2002, 11:12 AM

Eug - Could be your version of iTunes as well. I guess I'm running 2.03 or something (the latest, greatest one). A clean install is always a good idea. The first thing I did when I got it was wipe out the drive and do a fresh 10.1 install with no classic installation.

This computer is sooo much faster than my iMac 400 with 640 MB ram. I haven't upgraded the iBooks ram yet (128) but it's still significantly faster than the iMac. I wouldn't think 200 mhz of G3 would make much a difference. I guess they've improved the architecture since the the first DV iMacs.

Loert

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2002, 01:15 PM

The combo drive is - well it doesn't really say? SD-R2002? No mention of Toshiba. It says Apple DVD-ROM/CD-RW and that's it.
In Apple System Profiler, click the little triangle next to "DVD-ROM/CD-RW" which will show you what make and model drive you have, ditto for the hard drive.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2002, 05:13 AM

What bitrate are you guys ripping at to get 5-6x? I'm running a 600mhz iBook w/a Toshiba SD-R2102 8x8x24 Combo drive and rip at 192. I usually get around 3-4.3X depending on the condition of the CD.

-ben
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

Loert
Mar 2, 2002, 11:25 PM

I'm ripping at 160. I don't rip any higher than that because I'm concerned about space. I've got about 10 gigs at 160 so going any higher makes a big difference. I'm very happy with the quality at 160 however as I don't hear the difference b/t 160 and 192. I do hear the difference b/t 128 and 160 though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules