Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 19)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2012, 05:45 PM

Guess I'm going to have to buy it now aren't I? 40 bloody euros though. And thats on ebay.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2012, 11:05 AM

How a shower of twats can ruin a game : Battle Report - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

A squad was either blowing the heli up, running people over or destroying their own tanks and jeeps.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2012, 05:54 PM

I'll admit to not having the greatest time in this game over the past few days. Getting raped, not winning games, low points even when trying to play the objective, etc.

But today has brought back my love of this game. HCTDM is pretty good fun.

I'm going to try and follow the Dakar method : getting a service star for each weapon, and then using another. I have a feeling that this aids leveling up.

And finally, chasing the final 2 knife kills for the L96 is really pissing me off.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2012, 02:04 PM

Double XP next weekend... for Premium users only. Those f**kers! (I'm still not buying Premium.)

Join our first Premi - Blog - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2012, 09:37 AM

Got Premium, HC CQ Dom on Ziba was pretty fun. Loads of shotgunners though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Guess I'm going to have to buy it now aren't I?
I don't see why. You can always buy the DLC separate.

How a shower of twats can ruin a game
God bless the english language. Also, don't picture this.

'm going to try and follow the Dakar method : getting a service star for each weapon, and then using another. I have a feeling that this aids leveling up.
Unless attachments give XP, I doubt it. 10 service stars on one weapon and one service star on10 weapons, should be the same amount of xp. What you gain is versatility.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Double XP next weekend... for Premium users only. Those f**kers! (I'm still not buying Premium.)
Double XP is not a reason to buy Premium (As I said, there's, like, none). I already feel weird that I'm in the 60s. Aside from leveling the little bird faster I don't care.

Got Premium, HC CQ Dom on Ziba was pretty fun. Loads of shotgunners though.
Couldn't wait a week?

---

And now, a brief review of the CQ Weapons:

Aug: Meh
Hot SCARL: The G3A3 meets AN-94. Not good.
ACR: Fast, accurate, weak.
MTAR: ?
L86: Feels outclassed by the M27 and RPK
LSAT: Feels like a tweener between the big magazine LMGs and the more mobile smaller magazine ones.
M417: Godly
JNG: Trash with the russian scopes. Nothing special either way (There's only so many ways to skin a sniper rifle).
SPAS: Garbage. My accuracy is over 100% but I probably die with it more than I kill. (Maybe slugs will solve the problem)
M5k: Another MP7, only seems less accurate.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2012, 10:10 AM

I figured that since 'our dear Leader' has bought Premium, then I should follow suit.

Question : has anybody else noticed that in game they don't have a service star for a weapon, yet on Battlelog they have a service star?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2012, 11:24 AM

Weekend Notes

• Dog Tag earned - Melee
• Service Stars earned - AUG, SCAR-L, ACW, L86, LSAT, M417
• Medal earned - Air Warfare
• Vehicle Mastery - The AA, finally.
• Weapon Mastery - MG36

• A few of us had a nice run in SQDM, including unlikely victories in Metro and blow-out victories in Seine.

• Got banned from a server this weekend when Mokaius and I were running in a tank, him repairing constantly. Got up to 26-1 dominating and then got the boot.

• Played one game of Gun Master for the unlock. Was in a constant second the entire game until i got to the M320 LVG, at which time I went from 30-18 to 30-26, just eating it constantly. Ended up finishing a very bitter third.

• I'm increasingly confused by the role of PDWs in this game. The implication (or perhaps one of the loading screen tips) is that they are better in CQ, but a quick comparison to the M416, M4, and M27 shows the P90 on better at a sweet spot distance, and any closer or further equal to or lesser than those weapons. It just leaves me with the conclusion that they are more an unadmitted alternative for the crippled Recon class.

• I thought the JNG was an unusable rifle, but it turns out the PSO sights are unusable.

• Playing on Operation 925 and Ziba Tower, I've really come to appreciate the level of destruction. Missing shotgun blasts on a guy running into a door way and taking a chunk out of the frame. People RPGing sections so that the drywall collapses and suddenly having a new window to fire into a room.

• A fun touch missing from Op 925 - A working forklift in the car park. Would have been hilarious.

• Tried out slugs on the Saiga this week. They certainly can kill with one headshot a distance, but close up things can get ugly. Looking forward to trying them on SPAS< as its its last hope for relevance (Note: I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't like SPAS)

• Thanks to my M320 BUCK experiences, I decided to try giving the M26 MASS another try. On Grand Bazaar and Scrapmetal I'm finding it quite useful. If you know someone is around a corner and you have the advantage of surprise, the M26 seems like a more reliable approach than an AR which can fail if all the bullets don't hit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2012, 12:01 PM

Oh, and I keep forgetting, Bogues, will you be around to do the EOD bot challenge at some point this week?

I gave it a try twice for shits and giggles and I was in the middle of de-repairing a tank it just died instantly both times. No idea why.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 19, 2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
M417: Godly
Gave this a run on a few matches of DOM (Scrapemedal & Donya), with the 4x acog this thing is a monster, Multiple triple kills in my first game, and got my 50 sniper rifle kills for the assignment in two games, its moved into a semi-permanent spot on Recon for me.

Oh, and I keep forgetting, Bogues, will you be around to do the EOD bot challenge at some point this week?
Absolutely, whats the earliest you can get on today?
After the run of CQ this morning all i am missing is my EOD kill for the assignments (i assume you are too).

-----
Now that I have some more time in CQ, I'm addicted to it, I know Dakar disagreed with me last week but Donya Fortress is a fantastic map for DOM and probably my favorite of the CQ maps.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 19, 2012, 01:12 PM

Also grabbed my Combat Efficiency medal this morning, had absolutely no idea I was that close, 30 ribbons of 8 kill streaks? my K/D almost doesn't even support it....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Gave this a run on a few matches of DOM (Scrapemedal & Donya), with the 4x acog this thing is a monster, Multiple triple kills in my first game, and got my 50 sniper rifle kills for the assignment in two games, its moved into a semi-permanent spot on Recon for me.
I think I was running Holo.

Absolutely, whats the earliest you can get on today?
5.30, give or take 10 minutes.

Now that I have some more time in CQ, I'm addicted to it, I know Dakar disagreed with me last week but Donya Fortress is a fantastic map for DOM and probably my favorite of the CQ maps.
Definitely my least favorite map this weekend. Not terrible, but not great, like the other three.

Edit: Forgot to mention, was running the KH some yesterday. It's great for those mid-range fights. Little rough up close, though.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 19, 2012, 04:40 PM

After the run of CQ this morning all i am missing is my EOD kill for the assignments (i assume you are too).
Nevermind...
Decided to give it ONE game running engineer and the EOD bot, playing DOM on Donya, i'm ramping off the steps to A like Tony Hawks Pro Skater when i notice a enemy prone facing the doorway back twords C, sneak up behind with the EOD and

Obviously Dakar we can still grab this for you... but the MTAR-21 is fantastic.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 19, 2012, 04:43 PM

Edit: Forgot to mention, was running the KH some yesterday. It's great for those mid-range fights. Little rough up close, though.
I run it with the 3.4x (Flash suppressor, foregrip) and its great mid range and even long range, close range is the absolute downfall (i've yet to run it on any of the CQ maps, and i doubt it will)
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Jun 19, 2012 at 05:06 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 19, 2012, 05:06 PM

Tripe Post FTW
I think I've got to a point where my classes are set as I've gained confidence in my weapon choices, obviously equipment and specialization depend on team/game type.

Assault:
FH2002 - Foregrip, Flash Suppressor, 3.4x PK-A
Support:
P90 - Flash Suppressor, HOLO
Engineer:
G36C - Foregrip, Laser, HOLO
Recon:
Long Range: L96, Bi-pod
Short Range: M417, HOLO

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2012, 05:29 PM

Decided to give it ONE game running engineer and the EOD bot, playing DOM on Donya, i'm ramping off the steps to A like Tony Hawks Pro Skater when i notice a enemy prone facing the doorway back twords C, sneak up behind with the EOD and
I hate you.

but the MTAR-21 is fantastic.
I really, ****ing hate you.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM

SPAS with slugs is not half-bad. Same it's impossible to find damage/RPM charts for the shottys, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2012, 01:04 PM

Tip of the hat to Bogues for helping me get the EOD bot kill last night.

It's interesting that the two new carbines have the fastest rate of fire of all the carbines, most by a good deal.

---

Had a strange sequence of events at the end of the night last night. It was on Op 925, but knowing the maps isn't important. Killed a guy streaking across the parking garage, reloaded and then caught sight of another enemy going into one room that connected to another room that exited across from me. Using a car for cover I kill this guy and squadmate, emptying my clip. A third guy appears and revives them, so I pull out my M93 and drop him and the two guys as they get up. Number four appears and starts reviving. I jump behind a wall to reload the 93 (don't have time to reload a PDW), pop back out and now one of them is right on the other side of the car. Drop him and a guy in the door way and pop behind the wall again to reload. Come back out and a guy is reviving the dude by the car and there's like three guys in the door way. I manage to drop one, maybe two before I go down. Like 7 kills in 20 sec of intense fighting. And thanks to new revive system, points for all.

---

Nothing makes PDWs feel accurate, fast and powerful like using the AN-94. Hell, I could barely use the PP-19 a week ago and now it feels like a laser. Bad weapons; they make you deadly after a while.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 AM

Eat it, Bogues.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2012, 05:19 PM

Bogues, how the hell did you get the Complete Warrior achievement? This one is turning out to be quite a bitch.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 22, 2012, 09:31 PM

Playing CQ on Wake Island this morning looking for my complete warrior achievement... Spawn in the F35, go into hover mode over C, Grab a quick double kill on a DPV, jump out and parachute to the ground, going into attack C I double kill two defenders with the FH2002, I make a sprint to the hanger and jump in the second seat of the tank and knock out a enemy running across the runway.

By far the most difficult achievement, but a great one too IMO.

My advice is start with the F35 in hover around a capture point so you can easily jump to a tank ( and then on foot).
Good luck!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2012, 05:53 AM

Any other way to get the L85A2? 5 rounds of SQDM is beyond me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2012, 06:00 AM

This chopper pilot was 30 odd for 2 when I quit the game. He was using a laser painter and guided missiles. When it wasn't him killing me in the tank or armoured vehicle, it was an Eng with a Javelin. Think that I actually managed to shoot him down once, but how do you take out people who are that good with choppers?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2012, 01:52 PM

Weekend Notes

• Service Star earned: JNG90, MTAR
• Mastery: M416, MP7

• So, the MTAR has fastest TTK of any weapon on the game. That's broken. I feel like they wanted to give engineers good CQ weapons, but this is ridiculous.
• The Saiga. Love it.
• Went 83-19 on a 200% CQ game on Seine. Lost.
• M26 slugs - not as easy to use
• Here's an experimental load out I'm working with: SPAS - IRNV, Flash suppressor, slugs. Basically, hipfiring is normal, but when ADSing, the targets mass will show up clear as day. Mixed results so far.
• I have I said this this week? The AN-94 is shit. The polar opposite of the MTAR.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2012, 09:48 AM

So, who's playing on the new maps tonight?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2012, 12:13 PM

I finally got the Air Warfare ribbon, although I did screw myself out of the Complete Warrior achievement. I was playing on Gulf of Ohman as the Russian Army and shot down a transport helicopter scoring a double kill. I bail out of my jet and parachute in on objective A. As I wait for the tank to spawn, the enemy's attack helicopter shows up and I spend the next 30 seconds using the crates as cover while I avoid the helicopter's gun fire/rockets. The tank finally spawns and I jump in. I get one shot off before he can reload his rockets. BAM! I shot his ass out of the sky scoring another double kill.

After capturing A, I roll out to objective B and spot a guy running out of the house. I jump out of the tank and gun him down with my rifle. "**** yeah!" I yell. "Wait a minute, why didn't the achievement pop?" I look down at my rifle, M4A1. Damnit! I forgot to switch over to my assault class when the game started. I spent the next 3 minutes trying to pick up an assault rifle from a dead enemy or teammate. No one had an assault rifle equipped. I eventually get sniped by some asshole way up in the building near D. FML.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2012, 12:29 PM

So, who's playing on the new maps tonight?
I'm going to give them a quick run this afternoon, and I may or may not be on after going to the movies tonight. At the earliest 9:30.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2012, 01:38 PM

BTW, how large is the download for the new maps?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm going to give them a quick run this afternoon, and I may or may not be on after going to the movies tonight. At the earliest 9:30.
How dare you.

BTW, how large is the download for the new maps?
They were in the patch, all you have to do is unlock them.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 26, 2012, 02:23 PM

Finished up the Location Scout Premium Assignment,
During a conquest game on Tehran Highway I was in a small sniper vs sniper battle from A to the hill deployment....
Ended with 2 missed shots and a third connected head shot that moved my max distance head shot from 111m to 201m (L96)... ludicrous bullet drop.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 26, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What time fatty? i'm around today

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2012, 03:39 PM

That's impressive Bogues but it only lands you 3rd in the longest headshot list:

328m - Dakar
256m - Jawbone
201m - Bogues
164m - Stogie
161m - Fatty
89m - Chris

Dakar, which sniper rifle did you use for that shot?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2012, 03:55 PM

I'm not even sure where I got it at. I remember sniping across Gulf of Oman (into the construction site) after I got the record and I was getting under 300 m. Caspian seems unlikely, as do Canals (Rush) or Kharg (Rush). Quite possibly Sharqi from the roof of E, but that doesn't seem like any further than Gulf of Oman.

You could probably assume it was the 98B, though. I was on a tear with that for a while.

It's worth noting my longest headshot previous was something in the 100s, I think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2012, 04:01 PM

Also, our resident sniper bested by everyone but Chris? For shame.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2012, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I was shocked to see myself ahead of him. For shame indeed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2012, 07:10 PM

I shouldn't rattle his cage. I bet part of the reason it isn't any higher is because of my sniper rant, that he PTFO, and that he plays to win.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 AM

Well, Team NN had quite the fantastic debut on CQ last night.

I wish this would always be the case. We scored Ace Squad 7 out of 10 times as well. Even though communication and revives don't play as large of a role, still having a third of team filled with competent players makes a world of difference. It's worth noting sek and crosbie were completely unfamiliar with the maps but still rolled fairly strong (I would credit their Call of Duty experience with this). That makes me optimistic on the future.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2012, 02:28 PM

That's impressive Bogues but it only lands you 3rd in the longest headshot list:

328m - Dakar
256m - Jawbone
201m - Bogues
164m - Stogie
161m - Fatty
89m - Chris

Dakar, which sniper rifle did you use for that shot?
I have 344m.

Bitches.

Lets not talk about my other stats OK?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 09:48 AM

Any other way to get the L85A2? 5 rounds of SQDM is beyond me.
Some day when me and Bogues or fatty are on we can help you get it.

Alternatively, a good strategy is to look through lobbies and pick the one with the most green patches.

I have 344m.
Yep. You remember where you got it?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 AM

Some day when me and Bogues or fatty are on we can help you get it.

Alternatively, a good strategy is to look through lobbies and pick the one with the most green patches.
Cheers. Sorry but what do you mean by green patches?

Yep. You remember where you got it?
I think that it was right at the beginning, even before the first patch. IIRC it was on Tehran Highway and some other snipers had used the MAV to lift themselves onto the freeway around C flag. I was sniping with the SV98 from the opposite spawn where you can get on the building overlooking the whole map. I must have been killed 10 times for the one long distance headshot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 10:21 AM

Throw back term.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 11:08 AM

Slowly getting through the assignments. That Pecheneg is a pile of shite.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM

I won't dignify the premium assignments.

Pecheneg is actually pretty solid.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 AM

It kicks too much and when ADS it takes up half the screen.

Just seen : Double XP for a whole week for us Premium whores July 2-8.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 11:33 AM

Use bipods, if you aren't.

They are really devaluing the **** out of the game with all the double xp. I think BF3 is sliding down the charts and they're desperately trying to maintain.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2012, 11:49 AM

Just seen : Double XP for a whole week for us Premium whores July 2-8.
I need to whore Damavand and Canals until I get the Scout service star.

---

I forgot to mention a while ago, but apsolid, our friend of MacNN and chopper gunner extraordinaire is ranked in the top 1000 in the world for attack chopper kills. That's sick.

---

Another night with the boys:

As a trio, Crosbie, fatty and I are undefeated on CQ. (First game was just fatty and I)

---

sek, your stats with the M26 after your brief run last night:

(l-o-l @ accuracy)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 2, 2012, 10:14 AM

Weekend notes

• 500 knife kills
• Mastery: M5k, AN-94 (Rust in Hell), G3A3
• 10th Service Star - Assault and Recon Classes

• The trio of fatty, crosbie and I still have only one loss on CQ. Couple of very hard fought games last night, however. Diversifying classes works wonders.

• Spent a lot of the weekend on shaky connections, rotating through weapons trying to find what would work. I've become quite deadly with shotties. I recommend the SAIGA slug for mid-range and/or multiple targets, or the USAS for close-range single on the CQ maps.

• Played some B2k looking for variety. It's a real shame people don't seem to put Karkand and Sharqi into rotation much, let alone the 3-Flag variants.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2012, 12:15 PM

I've seen people with the Type 88 LMG. On my page it says that you need the Physical Warfare Pack. What is the Physical Warfare Pack?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 2, 2012, 12:22 PM

A free download (Previously a time-exclusive pre-order bonus).

---

Forgot to mention, last night we ran into a dude who got invincibility glitched on Scrapmetal. Sucked balls until Crosbie blew him up.

---

Dakar & Fatty: 10,001 points
Rest of team: 8,868 points

Go **** yourselves.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 3, 2012, 01:55 PM

Grinding a bit much, eh matty? To what end?

Forum Links
Forum Rules