Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > whats your uptime...

whats your uptime...
reemas
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 02:19 AM

i dont ever have to shut down or reboot my 15" pb... except when i run the software update and download os updates. that always causes and occasional reboot.

as for my uptime, the longest i remember is about 7 days. not much, but im curious to see what others have actually seen after running the "uptime" command.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 02:25 AM

40+ days or so I think but I always do the system updates so it gets killed every so often..

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 02:50 AM

7 hours, cause i just did the 10.3.7 update. it wanted a restart.

but i also had a kernel panic right before the update second one in 5 months.

to think of it, i still haven't done those 2-3 months no restart marathon. something always came up, or OSX would screw up enough that i felt the need to restart. i thought those only happens in windowsland. i'm slightly disappointed with that.
Ryan

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:10 AM

30+ days at best. Except for a couple of bad wake ups from sleep mode, I haven't had any system crashes. I consider my self impressed.

Oh btw. PB rev c.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 09:15 PM

I restart about once a week, mostly to cure an icon problem on the desktop, or after I've done some RAM-intensive work (seems to help sometimes, even with 2 GB of RAM)

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 10:52 PM

About one day because i just installed the 10.3.7 update.

Altair
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2004, 12:00 AM

I had 28 days until the dog knocked my pb off the couch and it kernel paniced. I have had over 40 days before though.

That's the first kernel panic that I've had since the ol' 10.2 days.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 01:12 AM

21:11 up 3:05, 2 users, load averages: 0.44 0.71 0.81

just restarted to smooth out safari.
iamwhor3hay

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 08:59 AM

Right now, 6 days. Average ~30. Best ever, 81 days.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 09:07 AM

I've passed 40 days a couple of times. About a week now but getting ready to update to 10.3.7.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 09:59 AM

just updated to 10.3.7 so I can't tell you, but since I've bought Cocktail and have the pilot running it once a week, I usually go at least 1 month without a restart and no noticeable lags or slow downs - or if any noticeable slow downs do occur it is usually within 1 day of cocktail's scheduled run, and we're back up to speed once it runs.

The only time I really ever restart is for OS updates that require it.

Make sure you run those maintenance scripts, or reset them to a time when the powerbook will be awake, if you find you are having to restart too often because of slowdowns, etc.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 11:12 AM

mine won't turn the screen back one or respond at all after i left it on overnight with screen off. had to hard-restart.

why is my powrbook starting to behave like my PC...?
Ryan

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2004, 06:15 PM

The best I have ever had is like 14. Mine's low right now again because I did the 10.3.7 update too. It has not been "off" since September when I upgraded the RAM. (always has been sleeping or on or rebooting since then)

What torture we subject our powerbooks to!

Ruahrc

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 01:09 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with madmacgames. Run your maintenance scripts and fix the permissions once in a while, and you'll stay clean from 90%+ problems. The 9.9% rest is usually from the need of resetting PRAM or other specific issues. The 0.1% left is most likely a hardware issue.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

kremmit
Dec 18, 2004, 06:42 AM

1 day, i let my battery die and came back 5 days later. :-(

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2004, 04:31 PM

My rev. C 12" PB has been the most reliable Mac I've ever had. In 13 months, my G5 has kernel panicked 4 times I think. Since I bought the rev. C 12" PB (right after they were introduced), it hasn't crashed once (though the PB runs a pretty clean OS for speed & stability sake; the G5 has a few hacks and third party daemons, etc).

My uptimes routinely hit 20+ days despite heavy daily use... I literally never restart unless due to either a software install or a battery swap while traveling (and no place to plug in). Its a bummer the 12" models can't battery swap during sleep like the 15"/17" can.

Though to be honest, I used to get psyched up about long uptimes. I don't any more since basically uptimes can go as long as I choose, so I don't make a big deal about them any more.

My PC, however.... I get all excited when it makes it through the week! And it gets used about 1/5 as much as the two Macs do.


Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 04:37 AM

Right now I am at less than 12 hours, because of a PRAM reset. Otherwise, I run about 30-50 days without restart, and a couple of times that I ignored system updates, I went at over 90 days.

redoid
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2004, 12:59 AM

4 days now...
i bought this PB 17 last January - never had a kernel panic - never crashed either.

when i was on pc - i never had any problem with it at all. it all depends what you do with your machine i guess.
its a fact that im dope.

mrwizard256
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 04:02 AM

haven't rebooted since the 10.3.7 update. I never have to, just put it to sleep. I also have a Windows machine I use as a Media Center PC that's on 24/7 and has had uptimes of weeks, no prob.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 07:30 AM

About 1 day, Bluetooth cocked up yet again and locked my computer when I put it to sleep. Had to force shutdown it and reboot and repair my devices. Happens every 2 months or so. If it does't happen then my system never needs to be rebooted exept for updates.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2004, 01:18 AM

sidetrackign a little, why cant the 12" do the battery exchange in sleep mode like its larger counterparts?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2004, 01:24 AM

Same reason why the 12 doesn't have a backlit keyboard and the same reason why the 12 can only add 1GB of extra ram rather than the 2GB in the 15s and 17s.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

veauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 04:08 PM

Generally my PB 15 is up for a week before I reboot, but I do that just out of habit, so it could probably stay up longer. My G5's record I believe was about two months. However I have a Linux box down at the school I work at that has insane uptime capability (battery backup system installed), and I just took it out and replaced it last week. I didn't check the uptime, but it must have been up for >60 days. Of course with the hurricanes earlier this year it was down, but before that it had an uptime >1 year. The only trouble I had with it during that time was a product of my own stupidity when I let the logs fill up their partition on disk *woops*. Its replacement is a BSD based box, so we'll see how that one turns out!

jonzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 03:00 AM

The longest I have is roughly 20 days and it stills runs well. Perhaps it is because I run disk utility every week and also after installing a program.

Never tried beyond 20 days as (psychologically) I just have to reboot it. Don't know why too

Happy New Year everyone!
PB G4 1.33Ghz/2GB Ram/60GB/Combo, ibook G4 800Mhz/640 Ram/30GB/Combo, iMac (purple) 333Mhz/160 Ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Alu), G3 20GB Ipod, 4GB Ipod mini (Pink & Silver), Airport Express, iSight & GriffinTech Powermate.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 07:22 PM

passed 50 days on my G4 500 desktop ( never updated or used it really just wanted to see how long it would stay up ) and guess what ? it never froze.. power flickerd one day and sadly it rebooted

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2005, 08:22 PM

host40-null:~ admin$ uptime
19:20 up 134 days, 22:39, 1 user, load averages: 2.34 2.05 1.95

That's on an iMac 233mhz running 10.3 Server.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

JGoins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 05:00 AM

WOW, vmarks. No way my 12" powerbook can compete with that, I have made it to the two month mark on a few occassions though.

Currently it's looking like:

Joshua-Goins-Computer:~ joshuagoins$ uptime
3:56 up 19 days, 9:11, 7 users, load averages: 1.93 1.79 1.51

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 11:21 AM

My best ever was about 36 days on my 12" PB. Right now it's 8 days 20hrs.

When I got to around 35 days I really noticed some slowdowns and that's why I stopped the marathon and rebooted. Why does it do that? I thought UNIX could have really long uptimes and not be affected by it

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by veauger:
Generally my PB 15 is up for a week before I reboot, but I do that just out of habit, so it could probably stay up longer. My G5's record I believe was about two months. However I have a Linux box down at the school I work at that has insane uptime capability (battery backup system installed), and I just took it out and replaced it last week. I didn't check the uptime, but it must have been up for >60 days. Of course with the hurricanes earlier this year it was down, but before that it had an uptime >1 year. The only trouble I had with it during that time was a product of my own stupidity when I let the logs fill up their partition on disk *woops*. Its replacement is a BSD based box, so we'll see how that one turns out!
a bit OT, but at my last workplace (University IT-Dep.), a Solaris server had been running non-stop for many years. This caused a problem when it had to be taken down for hardware upgrade, since no one longer knew what services it was running and what they all did. Several people working on the machine during these years had left or otherwise were not available. The big scare was that after the reboot, critical services added throughout the long run would not start, due to them being installed but not put in startup-scripts etc.

A project running for weeks was started to analyze the services and machine, documenting it all before the plug was pulled. All went well though.

The morale is to document and log every significant change done to these kind of servers...

Sn1PeR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 05:50 PM

15:49 up 1 day, 14:58, 2 users, load averages: 1.36 1.11 1.10

I just got back in town 2 days ago and turned it on.. record is around 45days

Forum Links
Forum Rules