Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Anyone running Windows Vista RC1 on a MacPro?

Anyone running Windows Vista RC1 on a MacPro?
lizardgator
Sep 22, 2006, 06:48 AM

Now that the MacPro firmware has fixed the problem of installing Windows on the MacPro is anyone running Vista RC1 on their MacPro? Is it possible to install Vista or just XP?

jedimstr
Sep 23, 2006, 10:46 PM

Just spent the whole day trying. You'll get tons of blue-screens of death, but if you keep trying it will eventually fully install. Took about 12 full tries before the Vista install finally finished an installation. The previous tries ended up with an incomplete install with an error notice that I'd have to start over. Don't be scared off by the BSOD's though, since the final working installation also encountered at least one of those. You may also want to be sure that you use the Alt/Option to choose the Vista partition on the first installation reboot so that it doesn't go back to the DVD startup all over again.

Once installed you have to disable some hardware devices in Device Manager that have exclamation points (unless you have drivers for them) especially the Microsoft Watchdog listing. This will prevent further BlueScreens in Vista.

The key to installing Vista RC-1 on the Mac Pro, especially if you want to install it on a separate drive, is to install XP first through Bootcamp. Once XP is installed, you can startup the Vista installation and do a clean install over the XP. Be sure to take out all your other hard drives (if you have multiple) temporarily in your Mac Pro except the one you're installing Vista on. For some reason the Vista Partion tool during installation doesn't want to install to your designated boot partition unless it's the only bootable drive in the system. Also you should have all USB / Firewire ports temporarily free (except for mouse/keyboard) during the whole installation process.
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

HennyDaLoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 03:12 PM

I have seen where several other MacBook Pro owners where able to install Vista with minimal problems. Helping me just boot to the disc would be tremendious.

Everytime I boot to the Vista RC1 Install disc, I receive the ACPI Blue Screen referencing non-compliant BIOS. I know the MacBook Pro doesn't use BIOS and runs of off EFI, however, I have seen in several forums where deleting the EFI partition was not necessary in order to complete the Vista install.

Any suggestions so that I can at least boot to the disc would be most helpful.

BTW...I am not able to boot to the Vista Disc using Parallels either...same ACPI BSOD. Burn a new disc maybe? Has any one else had this problem???

Forum Links
Forum Rules