Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Boinc and Leopard

Boinc and Leopard
bearcatrp
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 08:30 AM

Anyone running boinc with leopard? If so, any problems?
tnks
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

MacRuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 12:09 PM

I did the updgrade on a macbook (c2d) and a powerbook.

Macbook was running with boinc manager 5.10.20 and climateprediction. After installation of leopard the manager didn't start up with error message saying that I need to reinstall boinc. I did that, boinc manager started, but then the models crashed with computation errors. The scheduler requested new work, the new models crashed again. New installation of boinc, but same result... I gave this up as I don't have the time at the moment for further investigations.

Now I have switched to other projects (rosetta, malariacontrol). They are running now for 3 days without any problems.

On the powerbook there was a 5.10.7 without attached projects. After the OSX upgrade I installed 5.10.20 and rosetta. So far no problems.

adream
Oct 30, 2007, 10:16 PM

running boinc 5.10.27 in leopard, had to do the reinstall like macruth but other than that all is well

regards

adrian
63. (1) (b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats

Lythande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 02:08 AM

Running the latest BOINC iteration and V8 but have had no luck yet. Application now runs as a user process instead of a nice process as before. BOINC manager seems to lock up and take more and more resources till the system stops responding. Only a force quit makes anything return to normalish behaviour. The system seems more unstable after this happens as well. I'm running leoard on a Core duo mac mini. http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/bang.gif

jedimstr
Oct 31, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lythande View Post
Running the latest BOINC iteration and V8 but have had no luck yet. Application now runs as a user process instead of a nice process as before. BOINC manager seems to lock up and take more and more resources till the system stops responding. Only a force quit makes anything return to normalish behaviour. The system seems more unstable after this happens as well. I'm running leoard on a Core duo mac mini. http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/bang.gif
Lythande, try the current beta version 5.10.27 from the Download page: Download BOINC client software
and tell us if that helps.
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 11:56 AM

I've had no problems.

Xbench proves my system is faster in Leopard (Tiger = 312.31, Leopard = 334.37).

My RAC on my G5 has climbed to just about 1000 which has been absolutely eons
since it's gotten even close.

Highest it's gotten was 998 something, I'm hoping for 1000 at some point but it
may just hover below 1000 for some reason.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 02:27 PM

Gave it while on my mac pro. Workes fine on 5.10.27 but still get work units hanging up once in awhile. SmcFanControl works too. Was worried that wasn't going to work. I do notice I have to adjust my fan controls a little higher. Not sure if leopard or boinc is causing the increase in heat.
Randy

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Gave it while on my mac pro. Workes fine on 5.10.27 but still get work units hanging up once in awhile. SmcFanControl works too. Was worried that wasn't going to work. I do notice I have to adjust my fan controls a little higher. Not sure if leopard or boinc is causing the increase in heat.
Randy
What temps are you seeing?
beadman

UL1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lythande View Post
Running the latest BOINC iteration and V8 but have had no luck yet. Application now runs as a user process instead of a nice process as before.
Same prob over here, with Leopard on an Octacore and Boinc 5.10.28...
I'm checking the system with menu-meters and with Tiger I had 100% for all cores most of time...and all of them were running. Now, with Leopard, the percentage is jumping somewhere between 1 to 100 every second...and I haven't seen all cores working at the same time since then...

I started with installing Leo over Tiger -> prob occured...then deleted that installation and started new, this time adopting the old data and parameters only. But same prob, so I deleted everything and started from scratch...and nothing changed. So I put on old Tiger...and everything worked fine...
Any idea how to get Boinc on Leopard to run 'nice' again ?

jedimstr
Nov 1, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by UL1 View Post
Same prob over here, with Leopard on an Octacore and Boinc 5.10.28...
I'm checking the system with menu-meters and with Tiger I had 100% for all cores most of time...and all of them were running. Now, with Leopard, the percentage is jumping somewhere between 1 to 100 every second...and I haven't seen all cores working at the same time since then...

I started with installing Leo over Tiger -> prob occured...then deleted that installation and started new, this time adopting the old data and parameters only. But same prob, so I deleted everything and started from scratch...and nothing changed. So I put on old Tiger...and everything worked fine...
Any idea how to get Boinc on Leopard to run 'nice' again ?
From your description, I'm seeing the same behavior on my Quad 3Ghz MacPro on Leopard. Percentages for the four cores vary on each tick rather than a steady 100% (monitored via Menu Meters and Activity Monitor).

I don't get this behavior with my G5 Quad PowerMac and Leopard.
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 09:44 AM

I had a lock up yesterday. Since then, my wu's seem to randomly freeze. I would get a few in tiger, but starting to get more in leopard. Might just finish the rest of my wu's i have an shut it down until a 64 bit version of boinc comes out.

I had to raise my fan speed by 200 rpms on each setting to keep it around 100 degrees in leopard. I kind of figured it would raise chomping on more code.
Randy

adream
Nov 3, 2007, 10:01 AM

i.m not sure if manually adjusting fan speed is such a good idea, the OS is fully capable of doing this for you,

it might be an idea to run without smc control installed for a while in leopard to see what apple think the correct temps for the processors are... as they are the experts :-)
63. (1) (b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats

adream
Nov 3, 2007, 10:14 AM

my 8-core 10.5 the processors run steadily all day between 50 and 62 degrees centigrade (with a measured ambient at 25 degrees)

power supply fan 600
expansion ports fan 500
exhaust fan 600 - 1200
cpu memory fan 600 - 1200

on the rare occasion that the machine is idle the fans drop off to minimum within a minute

in my long experience in the IT hardware world all the above is very acceptable and well within limits and i would expect long term stability, i cant see any reason to change the rpm of the fans

i would also note that any temperature readings supplied from board sensors should be taken as inherently inaccurate anyway

most problems in mac pros for instance come from memory errors as the fb dimms heat up, so its the dimm temps that you should look at if your running a mac pro with manual fan control, also look in system log for any ecc memory errors over the last week or two

one other point is that v8 alex app will actually increase temperature and current draw over ver 7.2mb (i have measured this) so it would explain a general rise in temps lately
( Last edited by adream; Nov 3, 2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: cant spell :-))

beetle09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 03:03 AM

I usually run boinc as a daemon using Make_BOINC_Service.sh from the boinc site. Leopard seems to have deprecated this approach to running boinc as a background process even when no users are logged in and items in /Library/StartupItems are apparently no longer executed.

I understand that startup items are now supposed to go in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons but I don't know the appropriate way of doing this.

Does anyone know of a routine to install boinc as a startup daemon, or failing that, can they suggest where I might find instructions on how to set this up?
Cheers,

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules