Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Played with the MacBook Air today

Played with the MacBook Air today
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2008, 01:46 PM

I played with the MacBook Air this morning at my local Apple Store. It is definitely impressive, sort of a technological tour de force. It’s really thin, I think most people will be surprised at how thin it really is, it should have been called the MacBook Sliver! Applications opened surprisingly quickly, as fast as on the MacBook Pro. Then I was told it was the top of the line model with the 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo and SSD. The finish on the aluminum is nicer than on the MacBook Pro and it actually feels like a solid piece of aluminum.
The downsides? The keyboard looks kind of cheap, kind of like black plastic chicklets on all the sleek aluminum and the trackpad button felt kind of flimsy, it really is a thin piece of aluminum so if you have large hands / fingers it might be a problem.
I can appreciate the work and technology that went into the MacBook Air but I can’t help feeling that if Apple had made it just thick enough to include an optical drive and faster (and cheaper) regular hard drives people would be lining up in droves for it, I certainly would. As it is I feel it targets a much smaller portion of the audience that would love a smaller MacBook Pro than is currently available.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 02:26 PM

I don't understand why Apple got back to black keys… any feedback on it besides it looking cheap?, to me is hard to focus on a black keyboard.

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 03:27 PM

A white one would look weirder. And they can't make the chiclets aluminum, I don't think.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I don't understand why Apple got back to black keys… any feedback on it besides it looking cheap?, to me is hard to focus on a black keyboard.
It feels almost exactly the same as a MacBook keyboard or the aluminum keyboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules