Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trackpad Preferences Location

Trackpad Preferences Location
NickChapin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2015, 07:23 PM

For the life of me I can't find where the actual prefs file for the trackpad lives. I would like to copy that to a Parallels install. Any pointers are appreciated!

Nick Chapin

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2015, 07:26 PM

What exactly are you trying to copy where, and what for?

NickChapin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2015, 07:29 PM

In my primary OS install I have adjusted some of the settings for my trackpad. Parallels doesn't recognize my bluetooth trackpad as it's using the trackpad as a pass-though. However, although the trackpad works, the settings don't pass through to parallels. Thus the desire to just copy the prefs file from one install to another.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2015, 09:18 AM

You cannot copy preferences files made for OS X system preferences onto a Windows system.

If Windows running within Parallels doesn't work properly with the Magic Trackpad, this is a problem with Parallels.

NickChapin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2015, 12:41 PM

I should have been more specific; my apologies. My primary OS is El Cap and my Parallels guest is Yosemite.

ibook_steve
Nov 11, 2015, 02:52 PM

I was going to say attach the trackpad to the VM in the Devices settings, but then it wouldn't work in the primary OS. There is a "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows" option for me in a Windows 7 VM. I don't know if you get something like that with a Yosemite VM.

Even if you could copy the preferences over, the trackpad can only be attached to one OS at a time (though of course the pass through works when attached to the primary OS), so the preferences would only be used for the OS the trackpad is attached to.

What specific option do you want to work in both the primary OS and the VM?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules