Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backed up Tiger Install Disk worthless???

Backed up Tiger Install Disk worthless???
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2007, 12:15 AM

When I first got Tiger 10.4.7 I backed up the #1 and #2 Install Disks onto my external USB Hard Drive. Well, a recent catastrophy obliterated my original copies of the install disks. I figured I could simply burn the back ups I made to DVD and problem solved but a company I recently contacted, who performs such tasks, told me that they could not do it because I did not save the info as a disk image. What I did was simply drag the information from each install disk to my external hard drive and saved the info that way and because I did it that way, the dude said, the info cannot be burned onto a bootable/usable DVD because the permissions are not the same as they would be if I saved it as a disk image. Anyone know if that is correct???
Only if the info was saved as a disk image can it be burned onto a bootable DVD???
Are the backups I made worthless and therefore should be trashed???
If I still have the registration codes, stickers and all that from the original Install disks can I get Apple to send me a copy??? Or am I S.O.L. ???
Thanks for any and all guidance people!!!
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 12:36 AM

They are right. You can only backup bootable images if you create disk images out of them. This is done with Disk Utility.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 12:37 AM

You are SOL.
To copy the install/restore disks you have to create a disk image using Disk Utility. Then you burn a physical copy from those disk images.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2007, 08:54 AM

Well that sucks royally now doesn't it. Guess I will have to take my chances and hope Apple will be cool enough to send me replacement copies. I wish I had posed this question prior to performing the back up. Live and learn, live and learn. Many thanks for all your help with this people. You truly are gems among stones.
Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2007, 08:09 PM

How do I make a copy of my 10.4.7. Intel Install DVD? I tried Toast Titanium 8 and is said the DVD-R I put in needed 4.9GB of free space but mine only had 4.7GB. I don't know of any normal DVD that allows >4.7GB on one side. How do I burn a backup copy of my disk?

P.S. This is an issue only because I had a hard time finding the disk to do repairs on my boot volume. I could find 10.4 PPC, 10.3, 10.2, 10.1, 10.04, 9.2, and 9.02, but no 10.4 Intel. Ugh.

Thanks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 08:23 PM

You probably need to get yourself a dual layer DVD-disk.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Ganesha
Senior User
Apr 23, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post
If I still have the registration codes, stickers and all that from the original Install disks can I get Apple to send me a copy??? Or am I S.O.L. ???
What registration code? Won't hurt trying Apple, the local Apple store was more then happy to replace one of my OS X 10.3 (boxed version) install disks when it broke. Of course your milage may vary with system specific disks.

larkost
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 08:48 PM

In most cases Apple makes the image just a bit bigger than a single layer disk. Usually you can play arround with the image if you know what you are doing because the image actually has a bunch of free space on it. But the really nice thing is that 10.4 can be used from a FireWire disk, so you don't even need to bur out the disk if you can partition a FireWire drive (APM-style, even for Intel).

tavin64
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2007, 09:12 PM

My OSX install disk was also damaged from my macbook and apple sent me another copy but I had to pay 17 bucks. They only sent me the first disk but it is all I needed since my wife has a macbook pro and her second disk is exactly the same as the ones for macbooks and any other intel mac. You need a dual layer disc to be able to copy the first disk as it is too big. If you have a superdrive you can do a copy of it with disk utility if you dont happen to have toast or any other application.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 09:16 PM

I was able to get replacement disks from apple. I called and told them the disk was unreadable - the truth.

Give them a call (provided you're still in your warranty period)
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules