Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Replacing those precious Stars??

Replacing those precious Stars??
Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 20, 2001, 06:00 PM

Don't panic. It's just a suggestion. We have quite a few good ideas floating around in the UBB Graphic Replacement thread at:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=38&t=000122
<font color = red>(warning - thread is very very graphic heavy)</font>

Please post your own graphics (not only for star replacements) and comments on existing ones in that thread.

We can discuss the benefits of change in this thread if you like. Stars haven't been around for too long, but I'd like to see some kind of update for them. Keeps things lively.

And if we can't agree on that, I'm sure we can at least agree that the white/yellow document icons and light bulbs can be changed. right?

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

jeffhot
Senior User
Jun 20, 2001, 06:16 PM

you better not replace those white and yellow document icons! They are the life blood of these forums.

Oooh, life blood! Yes I recommend replacing the yellow one with a document with blood dripping down it!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2001, 06:26 PM

ehh. unless someone comes up with something great for the new stars, i say just keep em. i think the suggestions so far are nice, but the stars are simple and easy. i guess you can change whatever else you want. we could make the stars pentagrams instead, since theres been lots of satan talk in the lounge. kiss the goat.

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2001, 09:13 PM

I wish my stars were blue

oh well

I'll take whatever you come up with

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by cmcleod design:
<STRONG>here's my take on l'ignorante's design.

hope u dont mind

all rankings up to blue for mod, and red for admin + black for parallax!!

and example of how it would look in practice.

[edit: added black image for parallax]

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: cmcleod design ]</STRONG>

I like these the best. We should go with these.
G4 Cube Owner :-)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2001, 02:57 AM

Disagreed. Bad UI. Read my posts in the graphics thread.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2001, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
<STRONG> Read my posts in the graphics thread.</STRONG>
Don't. A lot of BS.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2001, 08:46 AM

Really? Or are you just defending your own suggestions?

Don't get me wrong. They look great. But so does a lot of flash-stuff.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2001, 09:41 AM

I'm going to put in my vote for the Aqua-bullets. This is a Mac site, after all, and I think they'd work out quite well.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2001, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
[QB]Really? Or are you just defending your own suggestions?

/QB]
Nah, just refering to the 'bad UI', nothing serious.
My 'own suggestions' will never make it, stars are just too much a classic for qualifications. I don't mind, I'm only in it for the fun.

Oh, Erik, you have! to cut down on the ' rolleyes' , it's not good UI when overused.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2001, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by wclarkson:
<STRONG>

I like these the best. We should go with these.</STRONG>
Yes these are by far the best

This is also a good replacement for the lght bulbs (not the document icons):

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: foobars ]

elzinat
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2001, 06:20 AM

1. erik, l'ignorante, you can fight, but please stay civil
2. You can have everything! take it all! but please! not my stars!!!!
3. on the crappy ugly Aqua theme, how about animating those fill bars like the stupid annoying OS X prograss bars? and then when you reach addict, finally there is no longer an annoying animation below your name, and so people will appreciate more your posts because they aren't so annoying as every body else's!
5. since parallax is so special, I think he deserves a flat System 7-style fill bar
6. why hasn't anyone made Aqua stars yet? :blech:
6. how about just assuming everybody is using OmniWeb, and hardcoding those damn ugly Aqua interface elements (that everybody seems to be synthetically pouring all over the place anyway) right into the UBB? then while you're at it, you can conveniently delete all of the real Mac software forums

4. i'm bitter right now. tomorrow morning i'm going to delete this post. if any of the other lounge mods/admins deletes it before i do, I will be sad. actually, i'm not going to delete it because that would be bad form. maybe somebody should send this thread to the mod forum. probably not. i'm just a bitter because x sucks so much and yet everybody is trying to paint it's ugly face on everything, as though it were as wonderful as isteve says it is, even though any joe schmoe or his stupid dog can tell you it sucks and be right. and i don't want to lose my stars. especially not to aqua crap. and i can't count right now. apparently. and i'm not typing too goodly either. i'm amn't drunk though. though i guess i must be sounding like it. i really should shut up now. goodnight. it's 3:10 am. &gt;sigh&lt; &gt;thunk!&lt; &gt;head hitsiddksljfgnnnnnnnn&lt;

<font face = "courier">no animals were injured in the production of this post. if anyone has been offended, or cannot take this post as being in jest, please post your concern here, and appropriate action will be taken to ban y� I mean, the offending portion of this message will be deleted. any concerns about the state of my mental health should be send directly to my P-sychiatrist: [email protected] </font>

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2001, 06:28 AM

Ooh! I want a P-sychiatrist!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2001, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by elzinat:
<STRONG>1. erik, l'ignorante, you can fight, but please stay civil

3. on the crappy ugly Aqua theme...

</STRONG>

1. Hey, we are civil.
3. right! Aqua theme should stay were it belongs, at the bottom of the darkest ocean with all the other freaks of nature never to be seen by humans again.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2001, 08:15 AM

Yes... we are civil.

The argument still stands, progress bars that aren't actually a progress to anything is bad UI.

Using rolleyes too much isn't

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2001, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>I'm going to put in my vote for the Aqua-bullets. This is a Mac site, after all, and I think they'd work out quite well.</STRONG>
Yeah...but everyone has Aqua now...and often, the copy is a bad one...c'mon...what happened to orginality?

I'll post some of mine later...

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2001, 08:51 AM

I don't care for any form of 'reward system' that gives people who'll post any old crud an increase in their number of stars and therefore a boost to their ego.

I say do away with the number of posts and the number of stars and instead have two titles - one for moderator and the other 'helpful guru' (or some such thing) that only a couple of deserving people would have under their userid - everyone else would have just their userid.

There should be no voting system nor rating system like we saw recently. Moderators are intelligent people otherwise they wouldn't have been chosen to be mods - let them choose who gets the reward of a 'title' and not an automatic row of unworthy stars.

I can feel the flames licking my skin already
this sig intentionally left blank

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
<STRONG>I don't care for any form of 'reward system' that gives people who'll post any old crud an increase in their number of stars and therefore a boost to their ego.

I say do away with the number of posts and the number of stars and instead have two titles - one for moderator and the other 'helpful guru' (or some such thing) that only a couple of deserving people would have under their userid - everyone else would have just their userid.

There should be no voting system nor rating system like we saw recently. Moderators are intelligent people otherwise they wouldn't have been chosen to be mods - let them choose who gets the reward of a 'title' and not an automatic row of unworthy stars.

I can feel the flames licking my skin already</STRONG>
Funny...I thought that a few months ago, after the whole NewsFactor thing.

"What was the point in me asking for my stars back?", I asked myself quite a few times.

Heck, everyone knows who I am...and you're right...they do give ego boosts and power trips...and I'm not looking at any user in particular.

The thing is though... whether it be Cipher's 7500 posts...or Joe Blogg's 2 posts...the bigger one could post complete crapola...and the other could post the meaning of the universe... (no offence to you Cipher )...and the average reader probably would heed to what the user with the larger amount of posts has said...instead of the importance of what Joe bloggs said...even if the former had posted complete nonsense.

...ouch! You're right simonjames...flames do burn!!!

Play it cool

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: georgius ]
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Forum Links
Forum Rules