Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't get iBook TV Out working!

Can't get iBook TV Out working!
nickday
Mar 24, 2003, 03:25 PM

Hi,

I've just got the Video Adapter for my iBook 500 to output to my TV. I connect it up and use a single composite cable to connect to the front video AV port of the TV. I've been to detect displays and tried changing resolutions, but I can only get a squashed black-and-white image.

I'm guessing that my iBook is set to NTSC output and not PAL output that my UK TV needs, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas on getting this sorted?

Cheers,
Nick

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by nickday:
Hi,

I've just got the Video Adapter for my iBook 500 to output to my TV. I connect it up and use a single composite cable to connect to the front video AV port of the TV. I've been to detect displays and tried changing resolutions, but I can only get a squashed black-and-white image.

I'm guessing that my iBook is set to NTSC output and not PAL output that my UK TV needs, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas on getting this sorted?

Cheers,
Nick
Can't you select either NTSC or PAL in the Display pane? If I remember well, I get to see some options, including both types of output. BTW: some TV's I attached to my iBook, mostly the older ones, also only show a black-and-white image. Maybe your TV set can't really cope with the iBooks signal...? Maybe you could try another TV.

Stefan

nickday  (op)
Mar 24, 2003, 04:47 PM

Hi,

I can't see an option to select between NTSC or PAL output. The TV i'm trying it on is the only set in the house with a scart/AV input, and worked fine with my PC that I used to have.

Somebody has suggested (on another forum), that I would need an NTSC>PAL adapter as the iBook only outputs in NTSC format. Any comments on this? I think an iBook that is sold in the UK should be compatible with UK TV sets.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick

GRAHAMUK
Mar 24, 2003, 05:17 PM

Somebody has suggested (on another forum), that I would need an NTSC>PAL adapter as the iBook only outputs in NTSC format. Any comments on this? I think an iBook that is sold in the UK should be compatible with UK TV sets.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick
The iBook can DEFINITELY output in PAL format. In OS 9.x, the setting should appear in the Monitors control panel. In OS X I can't say for sure where this setting is, I haven't used it for quite a while, but I have had it working. I remember at first it was a bit of a pain though. I'd test it for you right here and now, but I've mislaid my damned Video->SCART adapter

nickday  (op)
Mar 24, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by GRAHAMUK:
but I've mislaid my damned Video->SCART adapter
LOL, i've done that serveral times and ended up buying about five of the damned things!

Nick

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:03 PM

The issue lies not in the fact that you are set wrong, but in the adaptor you bought. The iBook 500 uses the original A/V cable (Normal stereo mini plug + one ring for video, and composite audio and video out. See:

Correct--->

Not this, which is for the later iBooks (Second gen 600-700mhz ones I believe)
Not correct--->

If you have the right adaptor, please excuse me, from your description, it sounds like the newer style.

NTSC VS. PAL settings will only cause the frequency not to lock in.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 08:17 PM

I have an iBook 500 with the top adaptor from x user's post. I then have a Scart adaptor, that I plug into a newer PAL TV set. Works like a charm, no need for any manual settings.

OTOH, on a somewhat older TV, there was no picture, even if it looked like the TV detected the iBook signal.

mqa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2003, 08:52 PM

I had this same problem for a while on my iBook 800.

The video adapter would work fine in os 9, but os x would give me the image you described. Basically what I found to be the problem was that os x was mistaking the TV adapter for the VGA and therefor put out the VGA signal which wont display right on the TV.

The only way I could get it to work is by repeatedly unplugging, and plugging back in the adapter until it was properly recognized.

Good luck getting help from Apple on this, they never called me back.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 11:57 PM

My point however is the BOTTEM adaptor WILL NOT WORK with the 500mhz.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by x user:
My point however is the BOTTEM adaptor WILL NOT WORK with the 500mhz.
Uh, does it even fit in any of the ports?

And your sig is still too big.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Uh, does it even fit in any of the ports?

And your sig is still too big.
Yes it will fit in the VGA port. And my sig is my business unless an admin tells me different.

nickday  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 05:53 AM

Right, I don't seem to have an AV port and was told that the bottom one was correct for me.

These are the only ports on my iBook:

I can't see any connection that looks remotely like the one that the AV cable would require.

Nick

nickday  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 05:55 AM

Or are the pictures just bad, and the AV cable fits into the video out port (looks bit like a USB port)?

Nick

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 07:17 AM

Right, I don't seem to have an AV port and was told that the bottom one was correct for me.

These are the only ports on my iBook:

I can't see any connection that looks remotely like the one that the AV cable would require.

Nick
The top cable x-user showed can be plugged in the audio out port, which also happens to be the video out on your system (first gen. iBook II). The image shown above belongs to the new generation 700/800 Mhz iBooks. I have the same set-up as you, and it works fine. In case your tv does not have the three tulip connectors, you can use an adapter to connect it to the tv's scart. Bottom line: the cable you bought will not properly work on your 500 Mhz iBook.

good luck!
( Last edited by stefls; Mar 25, 2003 at 07:22 AM. )

nickday  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 12:32 PM

Hi,

OK thanks for clearing that up. So, just to confirm, the headphone-looking-socket on my iBook is also a TV out port?

I'll give Apple a ring - do you know if they'd take it back with the packaging opened, and because of the fact that I made the error in purchasing the wrong cable?

Cheers,
Nick

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 02:10 PM

Hi,

OK thanks for clearing that up. So, just to confirm, the headphone-looking-socket on my iBook is also a TV out port?
Yes, confirmed!

I'll give Apple a ring - do you know if they'd take it back with the packaging opened, and because of the fact that I made the error in purchasing the wrong cable?
It depends on whether Apple misinformed you or if it was you who made the mistake.
And, I guess, it depends on the Apple employee's mood and on your persuading skills . Anyway, bon chance!

Stefan

nickday  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 02:13 PM

I'll say that I was confused by the website, and the thing with the external reset button, and thought this adapter was the correct one.

Then i'll order the correct adapter! :d

Nick

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 09:30 PM

hey, i have a separate video out on my ibook 500, looks sorta like usb, didn't someone say the 1st gen 500 didnt have one?

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
hey, i have a separate video out on my ibook 500, looks sorta like usb, didn't someone say the 1st gen 500 didnt have one?
You can connect to a VGA screen with the adaptor that came with the iBook.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
Yes, it's the same connector.

On the 500mhz models it was for VGA out only

Starting with the 700mhz it was also used for composite out, and the A/V jack idea was dropped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules