Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Update Mac OS X (10.5) to snow leopard problems

Update Mac OS X (10.5) to snow leopard problems
jozef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2010, 07:04 AM

When I installed OS X 10.5 I had partitioned my HD with space for a back-up HD called 'sandbox' with SuperDuper. That works fine untill I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard. When the upgrade starts it wants me to choose a HD but both (the Mac HD and Sandbox HD) appear with an exclamation mark. When a click on the MacHD it comes back with a message that it can't install on this disk because OS X can't start up from this disk . I don't know what to do, anybody out there for advise? Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 07:08 AM

How about you use Disk Utility > Restore (not SuperDuper or CCC!) to clone your Leopard partition to a backup drive. Then format and repartition your internal disk with only one partition for SL. Clone the backup to your formatted single partition. Boot from the SL install DVD and install onto your single partition.

jozef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2010, 08:15 AM

Yes that is a possible option but it still leaves me with the queston why SL is refusing what to me seems a normal HD. If I can't find a less extensive solution I will have to go for yours. Thanks for your input.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 10:39 AM

Do you see the same behavior if you boot from the SL install DVD?

jozef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2010, 06:41 AM

I have just started formatting my HD back to one partition as you suggested, couldn't find any better answers...fingers crossed

jozef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
How about you use Disk Utility > Restore (not SuperDuper or CCC!) to clone your Leopard partition to a backup drive. Then format and repartition your internal disk with only one partition for SL. Clone the backup to your formatted single partition. Boot from the SL install DVD and install onto your single partition.
Done all you suggested and my system is back to normal running smoothly. It was quite a bit of work but once done its worth it. Thanks again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2010, 11:02 AM

Great to hear it worked out for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules