Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme extending WDS network - cannot use Ethernet ports?

Airport Extreme extending WDS network - cannot use Ethernet ports?
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2010, 11:37 AM

Hello, I'd love some help with an issue.

I have a Time Capsule, which is creating a network which is allowed to be extended (WDS?) and an airport extreme in another room which is extending that network - so far so good.

However I would like to attach a device to the Extreme base station via the base station ethernet port and have it get its connection wired.

Here's the problem, when I try and do that it doesn't work - if I test the connection by attaching a laptop to the base station via ethernet only, it shows in the network control panel that it can sense there is an ethernet connection, but it cannot pick up an IP address - it always ends up as "using a self-assigned IP address."

I assume that what I am trying to do is actually possible. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

oh - p.s. the Time capsule is not dishing out the DHCP info - that is done by the dsl router.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 12:10 PM

Is it set to Bridge Mode?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ibook_steve
Oct 5, 2010, 09:48 PM

Meaning are the Airport Extreme and TC in bridge mode? If the DSL modem is providing addresses through DHCP, then both routers should be bridges.

Personally, I'd rather have the DSL modem in bridge mode and use the TC to serve up IP addresses. More control and probably a better interface than whatever the modem uses.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2010, 06:30 AM

The TC is set to bridge mode, and the AE appears to be in bridge mode: both pop-up menus in the "internet connection" tab of the "internet" section of the airport admin options are greyed-out, but for the 'connection sharing' pop-up 'Bridge mode' is selected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules