Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Burning 10.1 ?

Burning 10.1 ?
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2001, 06:55 AM

Hopefully this question doesn't violate the MacNN rules: I obtained a copy of the 10.1 Updater (which is distributed by Apple FREE to users) in .dmg format. The instructions I got at the same time were to convert it into a CDR format before burning it with toast (supposedly using a new version of Disk Copy to convert). My 9.2.1 version of Disk Copy wont allow me to do this, so I just ignored the format thing, burned it, and upon startup from the disk for installation, got a kernal panic regarding the debugger (i think... i don't know how to interpret the various kernal panic messages). Any suggestions/info on how I can work around this?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Jan Van Boghout
Sep 30, 2001, 02:21 PM

Go get a legal copy and you won't have to mess with burning the thing yourself !

<monkey butt>
Sep 30, 2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>Hopefully this question doesn't violate the MacNN rules: I obtained a copy of the 10.1 Updater (which is distributed by Apple FREE to users) in .dmg format. The instructions I got at the same time were to convert it into a CDR format before burning it with toast (supposedly using a new version of Disk Copy to convert). My 9.2.1 version of Disk Copy wont allow me to do this, so I just ignored the format thing, burned it, and upon startup from the disk for installation, got a kernal panic regarding the debugger (i think... i don't know how to interpret the various kernal panic messages). Any suggestions/info on how I can work around this?</STRONG>
You are such a horrible liar and do you think anyone is going to believe you?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2001, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by &lt;monkey butt&gt;:
<STRONG>

You are such a horrible liar and do you think anyone is going to believe you?</STRONG>
Hey monkey butt, what's the matter with you ???
Explain why, make it clear or leave...

So far,
-t

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>Hopefully this question doesn't violate the MacNN rules: I obtained a copy of the 10.1 Updater (which is distributed by Apple FREE to users) in .dmg format. The instructions I got at the same time were to convert it into a CDR format before burning it with toast (supposedly using a new version of Disk Copy to convert). My 9.2.1 version of Disk Copy wont allow me to do this, so I just ignored the format thing, burned it, and upon startup from the disk for installation, got a kernal panic regarding the debugger (i think... i don't know how to interpret the various kernal panic messages). Any suggestions/info on how I can work around this?</STRONG>
My Stuff:
Quicksilver G4 733 Mhz - 384 Mgs RAM - 60 gig HD
PowerBook 540c 33 Mhz - 20 Mgs RAM - 0.5 gig HD
If you can afford a Quicksilver, I'll guess you can optain a legal copy of of X.1 too..
But then again, you might be one of them who have new hardware, and should get a "free" copy anyway. So then it very well should be ok to just download it.. Right?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
<STRONG>If you can afford a Quicksilver, I'll guess you can optain a legal copy of of X.1 too.. But then again, you might be one of them who have new hardware, and should get a "free" copy anyway. So then it very well should be ok to just download it.. Right? </STRONG>
a piece of advice... when giving people attitude in the future, learn to spell words properly. then they'll take you seriously.

-r.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 09:12 AM

OK - this thread had better start going somewhere real quick

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 04:33 AM

Feel free to close the thread... I fixed the problem myself... turns out I made a mistake when imaging my friend's 10.1 Update disk. As for legalities... I don't know... you guys can debate about it till you turn blue, but yeah, as someone else said, I gave Apple $2400 for this Quicksilver two weeks ago so installing a free update (albeit one that came from a developers channel rather than a retail channel) seems reasonable.

But yeah... close the thead cause this isn't going anywhere... Its almost insulting to be an Apple zealot who actually pays for Apple products (how many of you actually paid for AppleWorks?) and then be flamed.

Have a nice day.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

comgil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2001, 05:26 AM

The only DiscCopy that can manage burning your image is the one given with previous builds of puma and a special version of DiscCopy for OS9 (less stable), still in beta stage.

Works great for puma, I got errors with OS9.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2001, 07:22 AM

I downloaded a .dmg of the update installer, and struggled to figure out how to burn it to disc.

Eventually I found the command-line utility "hdiutil" which can manipulate disk images. Type "man hdiutil" to learn about it.

If you have a .dmg and want to make a Toast image, to burn in Toast for 10.04 or Toast for OS 9, type the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
hdiutil convert /path/to/updater.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/newname
</font>[/code]

The new image is created with a .toast extension. This was a lifesaver for me! Err, these days, that rhetoric falls flat. It wasn't a lifesaver, but it was fairly useful for me.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Mithras ]

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2001, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>

a piece of advice... when giving people attitude in the future, learn to spell words properly. then they'll take you seriously.

-r.</STRONG>
Duh..
I no english pro either, so put that attitude somewhere else. Trying my best here! :o

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>

-r.</STRONG>
Duh..
I no english pro either, so put that attitude somewhere else. Trying my best here! :o

Forum Links
Forum Rules