Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Exchange Server / Outlook Web Access Question

Exchange Server / Outlook Web Access Question
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 04:48 PM

Hi everyone... I did a search of the forums, but everything that came up was either quite outdated, or in reference to things slightly different than what I need help with.

Basically, I handle the day to day IT, as well as some other things, for a small law firm. It's about 15 PC's and 1 Mac. All of our advanced server stuff is outsourced to a professional IT firm, but since I know my way around Windows Server 2000, I take care of the usual daily minutia.

Anyway, we use Exchange Server 2003 / Outlook 2003 for the PC's and we're trying to get the Mac to play friendly. The primary concern thus far has been giving the Mac user a way to access the Public Calendar that is shared throughout the office via the Public Folders.

As I understand it so far (and please correct me if I am mistaken), even with the improvements to Entourage 2004, you still can't view Public Calendars as if they were your own, without first copying it or something... which is no good, since that would require a manual task each time something is changed to the calendar. Thus, if that's the case, we'd use Safari to connect to the Outlook Web Access server and view the calendar that way. Here's the problem I've encountered with that:

If I'm offsite (at home for example) and go to https://mail."our company".com/exchange via Safari, it works just fine, showing me the Public Calendar beautifully.

If I'm in the office however, and go to the same site, it wont come up. I've done this both on the Mac and in Windows. On the Windows machines, we have an alternative, which is to use: https://"ourcompany's server name"/exchange

For some reason, I can't do this on the Mac through any browser... as was explained to me elsewhere, I think it has to do with the Mac needing a Fully Qualified Domain or something... I would love more info on this.

So there's my story... if someone could point me in the direction of how to access Outlook Web Access from Safari WITHIN the office, I would be extremely grateful.

Also, if someone knows of another forum that specializes in Mac IT expertise in this context, I'd love to post this there also, so please let me know.
( Last edited by electroJerm; Aug 19, 2004 at 04:45 PM. )

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 04:37 PM

I think I solved my own problem, but just in case someone does a search of these forums someday and needs the same solution, here it is:

Use the local IP of the server for Outlook Web Access on the Mac.

Thus, if you'd use https://companyserver/exchange on Windows,

and you know that companyserver has a local IP of 192.168.1.5,

Then use https://192.168.1.5/exchange on the Mac.

I'm still not quite sure how to get everything working in Entourage 2004 though, so if anyone has experience configuring Entourage for Exchange support, especially in regards to public folders with shared calendars, please feel free to post some assistance.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules