Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Rev B and 10.1

iMac Rev B and 10.1
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 05:43 AM

I've been thinking about putting 10.1 on my parent's Rev B iMac. I've heard different things from different people. How well does 10.1 run on early edition iMacs (compared to the speed of 9.2.1 on these early edition iMacs). Did apple include support for the Rage Pro graphics cards in the early iMacs?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2001, 09:29 PM

It will definitely run; see http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html. This page lists all the requirements.
For some reason the link above needs to entered manually, but it will get you there.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2001, 01:09 AM

The Rage Pro graphics chip is supported in OS X 10.1. In my experience, it's fast enough for everyday use. A more important question is, is there any application that you and your parents use that only runs in OS 9? Is there a reason why you shouldn't use OS X yet?

If not, it's worth considering- maybe ask your parents, after all, it's their computer, right? (My wife hates it if I change anything on her computer without telling her...)

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Cipher13
Oct 4, 2001, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>I've been thinking about putting 10.1 on my parent's Rev B iMac. I've heard different things from different people. How well does 10.1 run on early edition iMacs (compared to the speed of 9.2.1 on these early edition iMacs). Did apple include support for the Rage Pro graphics cards in the early iMacs?</STRONG>
Don't... theres probably no advantage to it but added confusion. It'll run like a stoned slug on that baby...

How much RAM does it have?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

Don't... theres probably no advantage to it but added confusion. It'll run like a stoned slug on that baby...

How much RAM does it have?</STRONG>
The RAM question is an important one, and you're right to note that changing the environment people work in is asking for confusion -

but do you run 10.1 on a 233mhz G3 iMac? I do, and it's no stoned slug, it's fast enough for daily use. It's not my G4/400 PowerMac, but it's no slouch, either.

For the poster of this question: Look at what software you use, whether or not there are OS X equivalents, and think about how much confusion this sort of move will create: will your parents have to re-learn where their applications are, and how to use them? Will they like having to re-learn something, or be annoyed by it? There's no sense in moving right now, if the confusion it creates is more than it's worth.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Thumannator
Oct 8, 2001, 06:30 PM

Is anyone running a rev. B with 10.1 and a Voodoo 2 card installed? I know that the Voodoo card is useless in 10.1, but I have been thinking of having a 9.1 partition, and a 10.1 partition. However, my brother told me that he cannot upgrade to 10.1 on his old beige G3 tower because the system freaks out when it detects his Voodoo 5 card. I am told what happens is that the system boots up and freezes when the boot-up is complete. Supposedly, this phenomenon applies to the detection of any Voodoo card. Can anyone deny or confirm this on the iMacs with a Voodoo card installed?

I want to try out the new system (10.1), but I won't sacrifice the Voodoo card yet... Too many good games left to play.

Thanks,
Thumannator

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 06:52 PM

I've got a Rev A iMac, a Voodoo 2, and 10.1 and everything works quite well. The voodoo 2 wont work in OS X, but if you boot into OS 9 it works perfectly!

As for the speed of 10.1 on my Rev A iMac.... it isn't great. Everything but the GUI is plenty fast, but the GUI is still very slow. Now, it seems as though there are rage pro drivers, so a Rev B iMac should perform quite well over my Rev A iMac which has an unsupported Rage2c.

I actually use OS X about 75%.... Just because I like the interface, and I like the cool features of OS X. OS X will be amazing when I pick up a new tower in Jan ..

Ben

Thumannator
Oct 8, 2001, 09:11 PM

No freezes during start-up?! Great to hear spectre! I will feel even more reassured if there is a Rev. B user out there who also has a Voodoo 2 card installed and can boot into 10.1. Anyone?

I think if I add a 10.1 partition, I ought to see some decent performance. I have installed the NewerTech iMAXpowr 466 MHz G3. How about it? Does 10.1's eye candy run less sluggishly with a processor of that caliber? If any of you are interested in making this addition, check out OWcomputing:
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

or if that doesn't work, just start at the beginning:
http://www.owcomputing.com

They have been running a great deal on a processor/Voodoo bundle (about $300, which is better than what I paid for both when they first came out). They offer the processor seperate too ($249). Don't fear that NewerTech is out of business. As I am sure most of you know, the processor upgrade requires NO drivers. The processor works in Rev. A-D, the Voodoo card in Rev. A & B. Maybe more people can start using 10.1 with the better processor. That would be my recommendation, electroJerm.

Thumannator

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 12:05 AM

On my old Rev C iMac 10.1 runs pretty well.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2001, 12:48 AM

There are Rage Pro drivers, but they still lack OpenGL acceleration, so don't expect to play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. Rage Pro users are howling about it over on Apple's discussion boards.

More info (although not terribly useful:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106154

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 02:17 AM

I'm not so concerned about the software end as I am the hardware/speed concern... So don't worry about the software (they only use 6 apps: Explorer, Entourage, Word, Excell, Apple Works, and Instant Messanger) or the learning curve... I'm just looking for feedback as far as speed goes between 10.1 and 9.2.1.

Stock iMac Rev B with 96 mgs total RAM (yes I know... RAM upgrades are cheap, but this is the config and its gonna stay that way). How will it fare with 10.1?

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2001, 02:52 AM

You'd be doing yourself a massive favour by sticking with 9.1 - especially with only 96 megs of RAM...

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2001, 02:53 AM

<STRONG>I'm not so concerned about the software end as I am the hardware/speed concern... So don't worry about the software (they only use 6 apps: Explorer, Entourage, Word, Excell, Apple Works, and Instant Messanger) or the learning curve... I'm just looking for feedback as far as speed goes between 10.1 and 9.2.1.

Stock iMac Rev B with 96 mgs total RAM (yes I know... RAM upgrades are cheap, but this is the config and its gonna stay that way). How will it fare with 10.1?</STRONG>
Now that you put it that way, I'd stick with OS 9 if I were you. Reason: your unwillingness to upgrade the RAM. From what I've read, Apple's minimum of 128 MB is for real ... you'll see sluggishness if you're below that.

Sounds like they have Office 2001 installed? That's a fairly new program, and with OS 9 they should be set for another year or two or more.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 05:03 AM

Looks like I'm gonna opt against 10.1... If havin 96 mgs RAM instead of 128 degrades performance that much, then its not worth it. Sounds like the dream stories of 10.1 running as fast as 9.x on early iMacs hasn't been confirmed here. Oh well, I'll just convince them to buy a new iMac as soon as they become flat screen (coolness factor = high).

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2001, 06:44 AM

<STRONG>Looks like I'm gonna opt against 10.1... If havin 96 mgs RAM instead of 128 degrades performance that much, then its not worth it. Sounds like the dream stories of 10.1 running as fast as 9.x on early iMacs hasn't been confirmed here. Oh well, I'll just convince them to buy a new iMac as soon as they become flat screen (coolness factor = high).</STRONG>
I have a G4 400 with 128 and its slow as... 256 is a minimum, really.

Forum Links
Forum Rules