Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > 640x480 4-bit color after installing Boot Camp 2.1

640x480 4-bit color after installing Boot Camp 2.1
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 10:24 AM

Yesterday Apple released Boot Camp 2.1 and it showed up on my Apple software update in the XP sp2 installation on my iMac.

After installing, I restart and the graphics are all screwed up! Windows boots in 640x480 resolution and 4-bit (16 color) depth. Going to the control panels and trying to increase the resolution does nothing.

I change the resolution or the colors and Windows thinks it is doing some changes, according to the dialogues, but nothing happens.

The installation is completely useless like this! What the HELL Apple??! My Mac is running the ATi X1600 (mobility) radeon.

I've got a clean Windows XP sp2 installation, just for running this one application, which I can't run in this resolution or color depth.

You'd think that this was a driver issue, and you'd probably be right since Boot Camp 2.1 installs new ATi drivers, but there is no option of reverting to the old drivers - Windows claims it can't.

Using the Leopard DVD and installing the 2.0 drivers again, hopefully works. I just hope I don't have to reinstall Windows *again* <sigh>
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 11:09 AM

After running Boot Camp 2.0 again, things are back to normal. I guess the old display drivers are back, though the Boot Camp version claims still to be 2.1 so it wasn't a full reversal.

I am displeased that the drivers distributed for the X1600 aren't working properly, but it's not like I need the new drivers. Things are working fine with the original ones.

That doesn't mean Apple should be distributing ill-tested drivers around with their latest Boot Camp version.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 12:47 PM

That sucks. I had no issues updating Vista SP1 today with the new Boot Camp. Actually, the video drivers must have been updated because my performance score shot up by .3 points from 4.9 to 5.2.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 02:28 PM

voodoo,

Exact same problem happened to me. Where can I get Boot Camp 2.0?

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
voodoo,

Exact same problem happened to me. Where can I get Boot Camp 2.0?
It's on the Leopard Install Disc.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks, I had forgotten that.

dumpav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2008, 02:37 AM

i have the same problem with my mbp, but my video card is 128m 8600m

I have everything clean install. Since i just upgrade my stock 120GB drive to 320GB drive. I install fresh copy of leopard and update the system to the latest include the firmware.

I then install bootcamp from the system disc, install my xp sp2, and install bootcamp drive from the apple system disc, everything boot fine at this point, then i dl the bootcamp 2.1 and install the update, after reboot, 4bit video and 640x480 and i can't even switch it to better video at all, even i try to adjust in display setting, after i click apply, video still look like crap.

What the hell?? are there any fix?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 08:56 AM

Voodoo and dumpav, I have a couple of questions. There's so many different ways people discuss Boot Camp-related subjects, it gets very hard to understand exactly what they actually mean; "I'm running Windows through Boot Camp" at least implies that the user is booting into Windows, but most users still somehow think that Boot Camp itself is doing something when that's not the case.

So...when you say you ran Boot Camp 2.1, does that mean that the Software Update just loaded new drivers, or something else? Is there any change after you reboot Windows? What does Device Manager say about your display adapter?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 09:46 AM

I got curious, so I booted into XP and ran Software Update. I see what you mean about "running" the update—it's just there. But when I restarted, I had the same color depth and resolution I'd started out with. This was on my late 2007 aluminum iMac (2.4GHz).

If you could post exactly which Mac you have that you're experiencing this problem with, maybe I can get more detailed help for you. At the very least you could go to the video card vendor's site and get an updated driver from them, which should fix the problem (even if it won't address why you had it in the first place).

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 01:09 AM

I have a MB Pro 2.4 Ghz (Santa Rosa) with 120 GB drive, 2 GB RAM, and GeForce 8600M GT (256 MB).

I downgraded to Boot Camp 2.0, which was working fine for me. So I didn't really need the 2.1 update which doesn't seem to offer me any obvious benefits or fixes. I only use Boot Camp for playing games.

dumpav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I got curious, so I booted into XP and ran Software Update. I see what you mean about "running" the update—it's just there. But when I restarted, I had the same color depth and resolution I'd started out with. This was on my late 2007 aluminum iMac (2.4GHz).

If you could post exactly which Mac you have that you're experiencing this problem with, maybe I can get more detailed help for you. At the very least you could go to the video card vendor's site and get an updated driver from them, which should fix the problem (even if it won't address why you had it in the first place).

i have a 15" MBP 2.2Ghz (previous model)
4GB ram, 128mb nvidia 8600

OK, i just upgrade my stock 120GB hd to 320GB, So i reinstall leopard. I install all the system update and firmware update. Everything went fine.

Ok, i create my bootcamp partition and install 32 bit window xp sp2, and also install the bootcamp driver from from the include system disc. Install and reboot also fine.

Since i planning to update to sp3 for my xp, i thought i should install the bootcamp update 2.1. So i dl the 2.1 update to my xp, and run the install, it install seems fine, but when i reboot, all video look mess up, it is only 640x480, and 4bit, i when i go to display to adjust setting i try to switch it to 32bit and higher res, but even after i click apply, it still stay the same!

any one have similar problem and got any solutions?

Thanks!
(this are all clean install, and haven't install any extra stuff)

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 01:21 AM

Downgrading to Boot Camp 2.0 fixed it for me. You don't need to reinstall Windows. Just run the Boot Camp 2.0 installer from the Leopard disc while booted into Windows.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
Downgrading to Boot Camp 2.0 fixed it for me. You don't need to reinstall Windows. Just run the Boot Camp 2.0 installer from the Leopard disc while booted into Windows.
It should be noted that ALL this does is change which drivers are being used by Windows. Nothing else is changed, just the drivers. It could be possible to go to your machine's video card vendor's site and get a better driver than the one that's giving you fits from 2.1. I'll run the update on my MBP today and see what happens with that.

dumpav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2008, 08:46 PM

It should be noted that ALL this does is change which drivers are being used by Windows. Nothing else is changed, just the drivers. It could be possible to go to your machine's video card vendor's site and get a better driver than the one that's giving you fits from 2.1. I'll run the update on my MBP today and see what happens with that.
so you got same problem too?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dumpav View Post
so you got same problem too?
No, in fact I didn't get around to updating my MBP today. But when I updated my iMac (see above) I had no problems at all. I simply posted this to reduce what I saw as a potential for some people to think that either this update or reinstalling the 2.0 drivers was anything but a change in drivers. There's a lot of "voodoo" about Boot Camp in a lot of people's minds, and I like to dispel that when I can.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2008, 03:31 PM

Here's an update: I tried to run the update on my MBP this morning and it would NOT run. It said the downloaded file had a bad signature. I couldn't use the "download only" option either for the same reason. Downloading the 2.1 driver package from the Boot Camp support page gave me a file that would not (apparently) work. I'm at a loss here...

dumpav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 03:47 AM

Here's an update: I tried to run the update on my MBP this morning and it would NOT run. It said the downloaded file had a bad signature. I couldn't use the "download only" option either for the same reason. Downloading the 2.1 driver package from the Boot Camp support page gave me a file that would not (apparently) work. I'm at a loss here...

I am disappointed what apple offer, i know pc have alot of problem due to different configuration, it is hard to expect user install so many different vendor hardwares. So it maybe cause conflict. But hey, apple suppose have know all it user configuration, since we are all lock down by it hardware. And they can still release a buggy update.

And the thing most annoy me is, i am doing everything clean install still got this problem. WTF!!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 09:32 AM

dumpav, I'd simply recommend installing the whole 2.1 driver package and then going to nVidia's site and getting their latest drivers for your adapter. I don't yet know what's going on with this issue, but I have to wonder what video cards everyone is having problems with. So far, voodoo says he's had problems with the ATI X1600, and you having problems with the nVidia 8600. I can't get the update to run on my MBP (with the X1600) so I can't replicate the problem. We all need more data before we start saying "Apple are a bunch of jerks" or whatever over this. Maybe the update isn't buggy—maybe instead there's something about something in your XP installation that was unanticipated that causes the problem. We ARE talking about Windows, after all, and there are some very odd interactions between chunks of that OS and a variety of hardware systems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules