Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Free iMovie Problems

Free iMovie Problems
TATungseth
Apr 28, 2000, 07:18 PM

Is anyone else having iMovie problems? The reports so far look good, but I can't get it to run.

I have a stock G4/450, with nothing unusual. I'm running OS 9.0.4 w/ 256 MB RAM.

However, a few problems come up.

1) Upon downloading, Stuffit does the expanding. However, when I go to install it, I get an error message that the iMovie disk image is "invalid." The installation will not continue.

2) So I disable Stuffit and let the OS (I guess?) do the expanding. It appears to install ok. However, when I go to run it, the program appears and then disappears, and I get a "Type 12" unexpected quit. It does this 100% of the time.

3) If I try to relaunch iMovie, I always get the quit. So I go to restart my G4 and get an error message that there isn't enough memory to perform the task. But I have nothing else running! I get two choices: restart or retry. Retry does nothing, and restart gets my G4 to restart. But this is an odd little thing to happen.

Upon restart, all of the above always occurs. And everything else continues to work ok.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by TATungseth (edited 04-28-2000).]

Cipher13
Apr 28, 2000, 10:15 PM

Tried doing it with extensions off? I'm in the process of downloading iMovie now, so we'll soon see whether its something wrong with iMovie or something with your system.
If you mounted the image using Disk Copy and it said it was invalid, did you try using Shrink Wrap to mount it?
What is the creator/type for the image?
What do you mean by let the OS expand it?

Cipher13

plessard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2000, 06:25 PM

I have a G3/266 MHz, and I dowloaded iMovie out of curiosity. Everything worked fine.

I cannot use iMovie however, because it complains that I have a too small display (an old 15 " Apple Color Display : a round of applause for my patience ! ) Other than that, it did not even choke on the fact that I don't have a FireWire card !!!

To sum things up, I would download the thing again if I were you : something went wrong between Akamai and your Mac...

Yours,

Pascal
Yours,

Pascal

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2000, 06:43 PM

I just downloaded iMovie, too, and I have a Rev. B iMac. Everything works pretty great. I only wish there was a way to import existing movies that I have on my HD. It will import pics but not movies... Oh, well.

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

TATungseth  (op)
May 1, 2000, 08:21 PM

Well, in the category of the darnedest thing that causes software to crash, it seems that iMovie will not run and will cause the crash I'm experiencing if the control strip folder does not exist.

The Apple til article is here:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n25113

Since this is the case with my computer I assume that this is the problem. I had a corrupted folder that was causing problems, so I simply trashed it, and haven't gotten around to re-installing it.

I haven't yet tried re-installing it, but since the problem that I am having occurs exactly as explained in the til, I'm sure it will. If this doesn't take care of it I'll re-post.

Now, to figure out WHY this litle thing causes the whole thing to crash. . . .

plessard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2000, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
I just downloaded iMovie, too, and I have a Rev. B iMac. Everything works pretty great. I only wish there was a way to import existing movies that I have on my HD. It will import pics but not movies... Oh, well.
But there is a way to import movies : use QuickTime Pro to transmogriphy the file from the "moov" format to the "DV" format at things will be importable right away...

Yours,

Pascal

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 11:40 PM

There is a way to import any quicktime movie into iMovie.

� First of all you need Quicktime Pro.
� Second, open desired movie in Quicktime Player, export movie as a DV Stream using default settings. (Warning - small movies will be stretched and dv movies will be very large in megabytes)
� Third, start a new project in iMovie, save and quit.
� Fourth, put saved dv movie into Media folder in your project.
� Fifth, open project in iMovie and click OK to add stray clip to the bin.

(the above was stolen from MacInTouch)

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 6, 2000, 12:56 PM

cool advice, all, esp. wlonh...thanks. Downloaded iMovie last week but haven't installed it yet on my 8500... I will either Sunday or Monday, now that I see some of the responses' problems and fixes...

Forum Links
Forum Rules