Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Crazy Christian pilot

Crazy Christian pilot
jaiqua
Feb 9, 2004, 09:59 AM

the navajo know

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 10:03 AM

Nowhere near as bad as what happened on a muslim piloted flight.

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/EA990/default.htm

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 10:03 AM

it's over in the pol lounge, as well.

This is pretty funny.

Almost as funny as the US pilot who got jailed in Brazil for refusing fingerprints.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 10:05 AM

[Edited out a reply to Boomstick: I was stupid, just stupid.]

mea culpa.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Feb 9, 2004 at 10:46 AM. )

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
it's over in the pol lounge, as well.

This is pretty funny.

Almost as funny as the US pilot who got jailed in Brazil for refusing fingerprints.

-s*
lol. You got to wonder about some pilots these days, a Virgin Atlantic one was arrested recently in the US after the flight attendants noticed he was up to the brain in alcohol.
the navajo know

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 10:07 AM

he was fined for raising his middle finger during the photograph, not jailed.

-r.

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Nowhere near as bad as what happened on a muslim piloted flight.

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/EA990/default.htm
Yeah, but that's not as funny as the Christian one.
the navajo know

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 10:19 AM

Hearing angels on the airwaves...

Simple Empire...

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 10:20 AM

You stupid, stupid asshole.
Why am I stupid for the truth?

He purposely crashed the plane full of innocent people and was calling to "Allah" as he pulled the fans and shoved the yoke into the deck. Read the CVR transcript and the FDR data.
There was no catastrophic failure as the captain tried desparately to save his plane and passengers.

The innocent people he murdered were also muslim.

Accept it, I'm right and you are bitter about it.

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 10:35 AM

Why am I stupid for the truth?

He purposely crashed the plane full of innocent people and was calling to "Allah" as he pulled the fans and shoved the yoke into the deck. Read the CVR transcript and the FDR data.
There was no catastrophic failure as the captain tried desparately to save his plane and passengers.

The innocent people he murdered were also muslim.

Accept it, I'm right and you are bitter about it.

That's just one version of the story, there's still a lot of debate as to what really happened, and we'll probably never know.
the navajo know

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
That's just one version of the story, there's still a lot of debate as to what really happened, and we'll probably never know.

the navajo know
well, then we should just ask the navajo, shouldn't we?

-r.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 10:44 AM

Boomstick: I'm sorry.

That story's pretty horrific.

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
well, then we should just ask the navajo, shouldn't we?

-r.
seems like you're not too sharp with the lyrics of Frank Black, pity.
the navajo know

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 11:20 AM

Cabin crazy crew.

All pilots, not just superstitious
ones go a little crazy.
Having stewardess's hanging
about at thirty thousand feet
all day can do that to you.

Simple Empire...

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 11:29 AM

Boomstick: I'm sorry.

That story's pretty horrific.
It's cool.

I read the CVR in horror, being a pilot myself.

The passengers never knew what happened as the SO pulled the fans and plunged them to their doom.

The SO was obviously in severe mental distress over the harsh treatment by the Egyptian Airlines management to pilots.

If he wanted to commit suicide, he should have waited until he got home to do it and wrapped a drycleaning bag around his head.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 11:54 AM

I don't get on any plane without a British pilot and crew. They have a very civilizing effect on the passengers.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 12:05 PM

Want me to post the NTSB report where the British senior officer barked out the wrong orders to the second officer causing them to crash?

The senior officer was overbearing and brash with everyone.
He was too busy bereating the co-pilot to realize he didn't tell him to set the leading edge slats, when the co questioned him, he shouted him down just in time for the kneeknockers to engage too late.

willed
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I don't get on any plane without a British pilot and crew. They have a very civilizing effect on the passengers.
lol

The British: Proud inventors of civilisation.

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 12:56 PM

Want me to post the NTSB report where the British senior officer barked out the wrong orders to the second officer causing them to crash?

The senior officer was overbearing and brash with everyone.
He was too busy bereating the co-pilot to realize he didn't tell him to set the leading edge slats, when the co questioned him, he shouted him down just in time for the kneeknockers to engage too late.

The NTSB report is still far from being the final word for many, hence the continuiing saga of those wishing to find other reasons for the incident. That was just one of my points.
Secondly, what does it have to do with Muslims? or Muslim pilots? It wasn't a crash based on some religious reason, and I find your link to my original post a little confusing, since they have nothing in common.

An air crash in which hundreds died, and caused by either human error, or a plane malfubction, is nowhere near some pilot virtualy making his passangers uncomfortable by ways of Christian prosylitising.
the navajo know

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 01:31 PM

Did you read the report?

The pilot clearly questions the co pilot on why did he cut the engines.
The overwhelming evidenct that the pilot pulled the yoke and the co pushed the yoke indicates suicide.

The Egyptian goverment denies it on the mere base that a muslim can never commit siucide.
Stupid way of thinking.

They were both muslim so religion is irrelevant. This thread was just to Christian bash so I posted a FACTUAL report where a muslim pilot needlessly killed hundreds.

On the CVR he clearly uses religious speech while plunging them to their death.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 02:05 PM

Did you read the report?

The overwhelming evidenct that the pilot pulled the yoke and the co pushed the yoke indicates suicide.

The Egyptian goverment denies it on the mere base that a muslim can never commit siucide.
Stupid way of thinking.

They were both muslim so religion is irrelevant. This thread was just to Christian bash so I posted a FACTUAL report where a muslim pilot needlessly killed hundreds.

Would you mind telling me what airline you work for so I can avoid it?

What the Egypt Airlines pilot did was evil and selfish, but it in no way excuses what the AA pilot did. One was a suicide, the other was blatant proselytizing. One was deadly, the other merely offensive. But there was no excuse for either.

Some more extensive coverage: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/09...ity/index.html

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by willed:
lol

In all honesty, though I hate imperialism, if there has to be an imperialistic influence today then it should be British. Britain has learnt a lot from the past (Ireland, the middle east, China and India), has tremendous appreciation for kebabs and curry, a 'completely' multi-cultural media, doesn't have moron religious fanatics in powerful positions and is better equiped for dealing with the world having dealt with terrorism for quite some time.

Shame Blair takes it up the ass from Bush.

BTW, did the pilot think non-Christians should sit at the back of the plane?

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 02:28 PM

Stupid Christian fanatics.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Would you mind telling me what airline you work for so I can avoid it?
I fly medivac. So if you are laying bleeding in the middle of nowhere and I have to evac you , let me know if you don't want the ride so I can tell you tough, you gotta go get treatment anyways.

I never said I agreed with what the AA pilot did. Everyone here seems to overlook what the Egyptair pilot did except for the one person that actually read the transcript.

Kudos Harlot.

You seem to have selective comprehension on the matter, zigzag.

Here is the CVR transcript.

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/EA990/docket/Ex_12A.pdf

He says "I rely on God" 11 times as he methodically shuts the plane down. The FDR backs this up as the systems are shut down one by one. No catastrophic failure happens until the horizontal stabilizer shears form opposing control commands as the two pilots struggle aginst each other.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Let's not go giving the Welsh and Scots too much credit for that one, eh?

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 03:07 PM

Did you read the report?

Stupid way of thinking.
I read it when the incident happened, and I remember clearly how the NTSB screwed up in trying to understand why the co-pilot was calling out Allah. They based part of t he suicide theory on the pilot using a common Muslim utterance when in trouble, or facing trouble. I'm not disputing whether or not it was suicide, but only pointed out that the findings weren't universally accepted.

Hmmm, I posted a story in which the overriding theme was of a Christian abusing his position as a pilot, no bashing going on from what I can see.
I still fail to see how you could link this to your story.

Also, in regards to the Arabic saying that the pilot said, see my post above, the NTSB got that plainly wrong, right from the start, to end.
the navajo know

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 03:18 PM

The flight data recorder knows no discrimination.

He methodically shut the plane's systems down and the two stabilizer halves were sheared from opposite inputs.

They fought for control, anything to the contrary from the Egyptian government is false.

You posted an OPINION that said pilot was crazy. I guess you are a licensed psychiatrist and can make a miraculous diagnosis from a news story.

I posted an incident where one crew member WAS under psycological stress and the end results showed it.

Again, did anyone read the CVR and FDR?

Anyone?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:22 PM

I fly medivac. So if you are laying bleeding in the middle of nowhere and I have to evac you , let me know if you don't want the ride so I can tell you tough, you gotta go get treatment anyways.
I appreciate that. My concern was that you were using the Egypt Air case as a smokescreen for the AA pilot, which suggested a lack of critical thinking, which suggested that I might not want to fly with you. But you've explained that that was not your intent, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you have to medivac me, can I get an extra bag of peanuts? (<- since the graphics server is down again, just want to point out that that's a smiley)

I never said I agreed with what the AA pilot did. Everyone here seems to overlook what the Egyptair pilot did except for the one person that actually read the transcript.

You seem to have selective comprehension on the matter, zigzag . . .
I don't have selective comprehension - I already said it was an evil, selfish act. It truly was. But praying to Allah in the midst of a suicide is not the same as proselytizing. They're not analogous. Thus my impression that you were using it as a smokescreen, or worse.

And don't think that I'm trying to defend Muslims. I'm an atheist, grew up Presbyterian. If both Muslims and Christians learned to keep it to themselves, it would be none too soon for me.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:

And don't think that I'm trying to defend Muslims. I'm an atheist, grew up Presbyterian. If both Muslims and Christians learned to keep it to themselves, it would be none too soon for me.
I mean no disrespect, but you'd be suprised how many people find "God" on their deathbed and try to cut a deal with God in the flight to the awaiting ambulance at the airstrip.

But hey, most of my medivacs are in Central America and they are mostly Christian. If you saw the POS I have to fly, you'd agree it's a miracle it even flys at all. <giggles>

I'm not some religious nut, but I don't like to see bashing when someday one of "them" might save your life. That's all.

Cheers

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

there was no bashing. you hijacked the thread before any discussion on the actual topic could be had.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:44 PM

I mean no disrespect, but you'd be suprised how many people find "God" on their deathbed and try to cut a deal with God in the flight to the awaiting ambulance at the airstrip.
That doesn't surprise me - it would be an emotional moment, and I'd probably do the same thing. Unfortunately, I think it's too late for me - I expect to join the rest of my family and friends in hell.

But hey, most of my medivacs are in Central America and they are mostly Christian. If you saw the POS I have to fly, you'd agree it's a miracle it even flys at all. <giggles>

I'm not some religious nut, but I don't like to see bashing when someday one of "them" might save your life. That's all.

Cheers
Fair enough, but I'm bashing what he said, not what he believes. If he had acted in a more professional manner, no one would've cared what he believes.

Anyway, good luck in your flying. (<- thumbs up)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 03:53 PM

The inside of that flight looked like this:

And that's just the steward.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
there was no bashing. you hijacked the thread before any discussion on the actual topic could be had.
Take me to Cuba or I'll set it off.

By refering to the person as Christian and crazy in the same sentence, it was preceived as bashing.

He could have used one or the other or stated an opinion that he thought it was crazy.

It was flamebait and I responded with what really happens when a mentally sick person gets in control. I'm searching for the FedEx report where the jumpseat passenger attacked the pilot and copilot with a hammer and speargun. He was under mental stress also and planned to ram the plane into the hub.

I have no idea what teligion he was but he successfully ended the careers of two innocent men.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 04:04 PM

By refering to the person as Christian and crazy in the same sentence, it was preceived as bashing.

He could have used one or the other or stated an opinion that he thought it was crazy.

It was flamebait and I responded with what really happens when a mentally sick person gets in control. I'm searching for the FedEx report where the jumpseat passenger attacked the pilot and copilot with a hammer and speargun. He was under mental stress also and planned to ram the plane into the hub.

I have no idea what teligion he was but he successfully ended the careers of two innocent men.
In that light, it's easier for me to understand your response. I think that to most of us, it seems like a pretty crazy thing for the pilot of a major airline to do, but compared to murder, well, yeah, it's not as crazy.

I'm always exceedingly nice to flight attendants - I want to join the Mile High Club.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 04:07 PM

The EgyptAir 990 crash is highly strange. Many things point to the copilot committing suicide but a lot of circumstantial evidence undermines that hypotheses too. I have not read the whole NTSB link I don't have the time right now but it seems far from 100% conclusive. Sure pilots snap and all but sometimes **** happens.

What are you supposed to do if the right elevator tears off?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 04:11 PM

I consider what the AA pilot did was outside of his job. No argument there.

His job is to get the passengers and his plane safely from point A to point B.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
Glad I wasn't on this flight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3472265.stm

The pilot also told passengers he would be available for discussion at the end of the flight.
holy fudge man.
that guy should've had his skull kicked in after the flight. how many people do you think he scared half to death.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

What are you supposed to do if the right elevator tears off?
It didn't tear off, the control surfaces were opposite controlled, meaning someone was pushing and the other was pulling.

The elevators stayed intact, but the joiner sheared as it is supposed to do in the event of a servo failure so you will have at least one surface to keep aloft. THe servos were found to be fully operable and the co shut down the fans, not something you want to do over water.

But if one surface did detatch, the other servos would remain intact or altitude be maintained with autotrim.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 04:18 PM

Saw this elsewhere...

Death desires to kick his flaming arse.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 04:23 PM

I consider what the AA pilot did was outside of his job. No argument there.

His job is to get the passengers and his plane safely from point A to point B.
I think the concern is that it was a lot more than outside his job - apparently it scared the, ahem, bejesus out of a number of passengers. I would've been alarmed myself, and not just because I don't like proselytizing. I would've been tempted to sock him one.

insha
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
In all honesty, though I hate imperialism, if there has to be an imperialistic influence today then it should be British. Britain has learnt a lot from the past (Ireland, the middle east, China and India), has tremendous appreciation for kebabs and curry, a 'completely' multi-cultural media, doesn't have moron religious fanatics in powerful positions and is better equiped for dealing with the world having dealt with terrorism for quite some time.

Shame Blair takes it up the ass from Bush.

BTW, did the pilot think non-Christians should sit at the back of the plane?
Dude, these fskers created most of the "hot-spots" in the world that are now brewing grounds for terrorism: Ireland (Irish v. British), Middle East (Palestinian v. Israelis), India (Pakistan v. India).

And now they (British) are looked upon as some sort of fsking civilized nation, of course after British force people into oppression, standing next to the oppressed the oppressors do look civilized.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 04:25 PM

As I recall, the last time that question was asked, people got bulletts between the eyes in a high school.

I can understand why it frightened them.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 9, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Originally posted by Eyenovation:
Stupid Christian fanatics.
Come on..

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 05:15 PM

You posted an OPINION that said pilot was crazy. I guess you are a licensed psychiatrist and can make a miraculous diagnosis from a news story.

I posted an incident where one crew member WAS under psycological stress and the end results showed it.

Again, did anyone read the CVR and FDR?

Anyone?
Eh? I haven't posted any opinions on this topic, except to say that the NTSB story isn't universally held, which is true since you mentioned the Egyptian Goverment don't accept it. My only other opinion was to the very real mis-interpretation of the Arabic saying that the co-pilot uttered.

EDIT:

I didnt understand what you were reffering to at first, but I re-read your post and do now.

My post title was due to the fact that the pilot used the word crazy on the plane, in reference to the non-Christian passengers, it was a play on words on my part. I think we can safely assume that it was pretty crazy of him to do so.

No Chrisatian bashing here since I'm not like that. Also, your post was irrelevent in here.e at
the navajo know

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 05:22 PM

It didn't tear off, the control surfaces were opposite controlled, meaning someone was pushing and the other was pulling.

The elevators stayed intact, but the joiner sheared as it is supposed to do in the event of a servo failure so you will have at least one surface to keep aloft. THe servos were found to be fully operable and the co shut down the fans, not something you want to do over water.

But if one surface did detatch, the other servos would remain intact or altitude be maintained with autotrim.
I was simply citing a part of the NTSB report.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 05:26 PM

Oh I posted the updated transcript. The misinterpretation had something to do with the hydraulic systems when they were fighting over the controls.

He killed them on purpose. Plain and simple.

Between 0150:31 and 0150:37, the captain repeatedly stated, "Pull with me." However, the FDR data indicated that the elevator surfaces remained in a split condition (with the left surface commanding nose up and the right surface commanding nose down) until the FDR and CVR stopped recording at 0150:36.64 and 0150:38.47, respectively. (The last transponder [secondary radar] return from the accident airplane was received at the radar site at Nantucket, Massachusetts, at 0150:34.)

edit: I should be quoting.

Sorry if I'm coming off as brash.

jaiqua  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by mike one:
holy fudge man.
that guy should've had his skull kicked in after the flight. how many people do you think he scared half to death.
lol, I know. I was kinda panicking at first when I read the title, cause my wee brother was flying to New York at that time.

But still, scary stuff since you never know which way the el captian's mind is going to go. I'd have been strapping my parachute on.
the navajo know

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by insha:
Dude, these fskers created most of the "hot-spots" in the world that are now brewing grounds for terrorism: Ireland (Irish v. British), Middle East (Palestinian v. Israelis), India (Pakistan v. India).

And now they (British) are looked upon as some sort of fsking civilized nation, of course after British force people into oppression, standing next to the oppressed the oppressors do look civilized.
You didn't read what I said properly before pulling a knee-jerk reaction. Britain knows what it did and learned from it. Meanwhile in the US the same mistakes are happening and they're too vain and proud to admit history is repeating itself. It only makes sense that if anyone is going to do a job right it should be the one with the most experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules