Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 consistant crashing problem...

Powerbook G4 consistant crashing problem...
PowerbookRors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 01:26 PM

Hi there,

I've got a Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ 512MB SDRAM...

For a while now, its been crashing...a lot.

Usually every day which is quite disturbing. After about an hour of turning it on and using it, the screen will just freeze. I then have to hold the power button down to restart it !

I have no clue what's wrong. It was absolutely fine before. I've tried freeing up space and propping it up on a book, but that hasn't worked.
I've also tried changing the battery, but that also has failed.

Does anyone know what may be the problem ?

Any help would be fab. Cheers

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2006, 03:02 PM

Define the crash: freeze, kernel panic, spinning beachball, what? Have you tried the usual: reset PRAM, PMU, run disk utility from boot CD, etc.?

Steve

tintin220
Dec 5, 2006, 06:51 PM

I had the exact smae problem. Then I tried this method.

Warning: the page takes forever to load. Apple - Support - Discussions - A way to stop the Freezes in some ...

Apple doesnt acknowledge the problem, unfortunately, and I suspect its due to adding new RAM (the RAM, however, is not defective and should work. its just the g4 proc is probably really finicky and works only with samsung or w/e). Either way, use the Nap Off solution.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules