Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacing 1.8ghz iMac G5 - what would you do?

Replacing 1.8ghz iMac G5 - what would you do?
hutchingsp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 11:33 AM

I have a 20" iMac G5, a rev A machine with 1gb RAM.

It's used for general stuff like web browsing, some light iWork type stuff, and lots of video and music playback (but no producing/editing).

Generally I don't find it sluggish, I do think it's quite noisy under load though, not vacuum cleaner noisy just not as silent as I would have hoped for.

I'm contemplating several options and would appreciate any input/advice.
  • Replace the 1gb RAM with 2x1gb modules
  • Get a Mini with an external 20" or 24" widescreen TFT.
  • Get a Macbook with an external 20" or 24" widescreen TFT.
  • Get a 24" iMac

I know there is always something better around the corner, but with Macworld happening I'm thinking I should wait to see if any upgrades happen, and if/when Leopard will be available.

In pure performance terms I don't need to upgrade, it would simply be nice to have something faster and silent.

With the Mini, although CPU isn't everything I keep thinking "oh it's only a Core Duo and not a C2D.

The Macbook is on the list because it doesn't appear to work out much more for a Macbook with a 24" TFT than it does for the 24" iMac. Again I don't specifically need a portable, but I'm sure I'd end up using it around the house as we have a wireless network.

The biggest thing putting me off the 24" iMac is having to replace the entire thing simply because the innards are getting a bit slow.

Really appreciate any opinions/advice, particularly on the noise issue, and on how big of a real world speed bump each option would give over the current machine.

cheers.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 01:12 PM

Do you play games?
If yes, 20 or 24" Intel iMac.
If no, Macbook and the 24" Dell.

hutchingsp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Do you play games?
If yes, 20 or 24" Intel iMac.
If no, Macbook and the 24" Dell.
Short answer is no. I'd be interested to hear peoples reasoning behind their responses.

I have one of the 24" Dells at work and it's a stunning display, shame about the aesthetics but not enough of a shame to make me look at the Apple Cinema Displays.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 03:04 PM

I switched from desktops to a laptop about 1.5 years ago and I've fallen in love with the portability of having a laptop. The mini doesn't offer enough savings and the iMac doesn't offer enough features to woo me away from the go-anywhere-do-everything ability of a laptop.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2006, 06:02 PM

With the amount of money your talking about putting down I'd get 2x1gb ram and a base macbook. Like you said anything is only going to depreciate and if your 20" g5 is fine for what you do why throw down more money for what is only a faster version of the same thing. Instead I'd up my usability and # of computers in the house. Now more people in your house can enjoy a mac if they don't already.

I don't think the 20" g5 would fetch much on the resale market and the only thing bigger is the 24." And the mini's integrated gpu+processor increase might only give you the graphics performance of your imac+whatever dedicated gpu it has.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 02:51 AM

I'd sell the iMac, get what you can and get a maxed out macBook or a 15" MacBook Pro if you really want something new. Portability rules. Especially if you make your living area wireless.

Do you really need 2 computers? I have the exact iMac configuration/model you have and still love it. If you don't, just upgrade the ram and wait awhile. I wouldn't do anything until Leopard comes out so you can save a few bills.

Good luck.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 06:11 PM

If you need portability, get the Macbook. Otherwise, the 24" iMac.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hutchingsp View Post
  • Get a Macbook with an external 20" or 24" widescreen TFT.
That's my setup. I have a white SuperDrive MacBook with 2 GHz Core Duo, and a Dell 2405FPW (24") display. I love it and would certainly recommend it to almost anyone.

If I weren't attached to the idea of having a laptop, I'd probably go with a Mac mini and the same display. Sure, the iMac will probably give you more bang for the buck up front than a mini with external display. But the guts of the computer will age much faster than the nice, big LCD. You'll have to replace the whole thing even though the display would likely be useful years later if it weren't glued to the rest of the computer.

With the Mac mini you can upgrade more often, keeping the same display and taking only a minimal price hit each time you upgrade since the mini itself is so much cheaper than a whole iMac with integrated display.
( Last edited by dn15; Dec 22, 2006 at 07:06 AM. )

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2006, 09:35 AM

the new mini's ain't bad machines and yes they are quiet.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

hutchingsp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post
That's my setup. I have a white SuperDrive MacBook with 2 GHz Core Duo, and a Dell 2405FPW (24") display. I love it and would certainly recommend it to almost anyone.
Ended up going for the same Macbook as you have from the sound of it. Seems a lot lot quicker than what it replaced, though I haven't decided quite what to do about the monitor yet - I'd be interested to hear how it copes with the resolution of the 24" Dell.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2006, 02:40 PM

just fine
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by hutchingsp View Post
Ended up going for the same Macbook as you have from the sound of it. Seems a lot lot quicker than what it replaced, though I haven't decided quite what to do about the monitor yet - I'd be interested to hear how it copes with the resolution of the 24" Dell.
Mine is the original Core Duo MacBook, but I don't have any complaints about the speed. My work machine is the Core 2 Duo version and I can't really tell a difference. My MacBook powers the 24" display beautifully, and runs Aperture reasonably well. But I'm not a gamer so I haven't tried anything with even remotely intense 3D requirements.

Forum Links
Forum Rules