Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > will fcp 4.5 work on macbook

will fcp 4.5 work on macbook
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 11:11 PM

Not sure whether to put this in the forum for fcp or macbook, so my apologies if wrong forum.

Question 1:

I'm thinking of buying a macbook. Will my fcp 4.5 (and included programs e.g. soundtrack, dvd studio pro 3) work on the new macbooks, or will I have to get the upgrade to final cut studio?

Question 2: My understanding from various other forums is that if I do upgrade to final cut studio (which I probably will do eventually) it will work on the intel macbooks, just motion will be a bit iffy, but the other programs in the final cut studio will be okay?

Question 3: Is Final cut studio backward compatible, one of the reasons I don't want to upgrade is I have existing projects yet to finish in FCP 4.5 was wondering if I will be able to open them in Final Cut studio?

Xarthan
Jan 17, 2007, 11:26 PM

from my experience 4.5 will be slow and sluggish, since it will run on rosetta.

I run 5.1 which is universal binary on a MB 2.0 CD with 2GB of ram and it runs fine and very fast. Even faster than my G5 at times.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 12:30 AM

Thanks for that, so FCP 4.5 does actually work on the macbook but slow? I'm currently running it on an emac with 512mb ram and I think (can't remember) 1ghz speed so as long as it isn't any slower than that, it should be okay for what I'm doing till I can get the upgrade to final cut studio.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 07:01 AM

Why not just up the emac's ram until you can get universal fcp?

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 06:17 PM

Hi ecking01, I'm just thinking of getting a macbook for portability. Actually my emac ram/speed is ok for me right now, 512mb obviously too slow for a professional editor but at the moment I've only got small projects in it so is okay. So as long as the macbook running FCP 4.5 isn't any slower than my emac speed I'd be fine with that. I might eventually be looking at doing more intensive editing projects but at the moment it's okay. I guess if that happens I'll upgrade to Studio.

Forum Links
Forum Rules