Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > .Mac Not Worth Its $100 Price Tag Anymore?

.Mac Not Worth Its $100 Price Tag Anymore?
silentsnake09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 11:42 PM

"As more and more web 2.0 tools come out and with Gmail and RrapidWeaver its getting harder to think about shelling out $100 to renew my .Mac account. When I bought my .Mac almost a year ago I thought it was amazing. Soon after that I got Gmail though and while I still use my .mac email the gmail is just as good if not better. Than I thought about iDisk. Very cool perk for .mac. Well soon after getting gmail I got the plug-in to mount gmail storage right on my computer. There aren't all that many features left now to want to keep it. I like photocasting with my friends and family but there is Flickr now. I loved iWeb also and I loved being able to upload right to my .mac account. Than I started to hate the ridiculously long URL that iWeb spits out and than I realized I couldn't even add HTML into iWeb. So i bought a domain and web space from godaddy after that. I am a mac whore, I buy most of Apple's products but if .mac doesn't do something really new and amazing in the next couple months I won't be renewing. "

City.Tech.Life - Home

Direct Link

now tell me what you guys think, and please click the link to digg my actually story would be appreciated also!
( Last edited by silentsnake09; Feb 12, 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: change link)
Macbook Black: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB memory 120GB hard drive Double-layer SuperDrive
<edited by the management>

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 12:01 AM

Never was worth the money. There's always been alternatives that do the same job for less (or no) money. In most cases .Mac is still easier and is better integrated with Mac OS X, but that does not justify the additional cost (to me at least).

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 12:04 AM

yeah i like how its so well integrated but i dunno if i can cough up $100 for just something that a little easier to use.
Macbook Black: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB memory 120GB hard drive Double-layer SuperDrive

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 12:15 AM

.Mac is not about "being worth it". .Mac is about showing loyalty to Apple.

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
.Mac is not about "being worth it". .Mac is about showing loyalty to Apple.
thats how i felt man but i dunno though $100 is a lot on top of all the hardware i got. and any digg members feel free to digg this story by clicking the "direct link" thanks!

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 09:02 AM

If it was $50/year, it may be worth it. No way is it worth the $100/year that it is now. There used to be bonuses, like free games and software and even discounts on software, but all that's there now is free Garageband loops. Whoop de do!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by silentsnake09 View Post
thats how i felt man but i dunno though $100 is a lot on top of all the hardware i got. and any digg members feel free to digg this story by clicking the "direct link" thanks!
Spending money to show "loyalty" to a private company by purchasing a service you don't need? So essentially you're making a donation to one the most profitable companies in the world? I don't understand that. Does Apple use the money to feed sick children or something?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 10:03 AM

Ive been using iTools/.Mac since day one, and i too am starting to wonder if it's worth it. many services have popped up (usually for free), and i wouldnt mind moving off .Mac.

The only reason i'm still using .Mac is cause of email, which in all due respect should be free. honestly i fell like im being held hostage by .Mac email having to shell out AUD$139 every year.

Backup is cool, but i can write my own scripts to do it for me.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by silentsnake09, in the first post
now tell me what you guys think, and please click the link to digg my actually story would be appreciated also!
Originally Posted by silentsnake09, in the second post
and any digg members feel free to digg this story by clicking the "direct link" thanks!
Reported as spam.

Many of us do not take kindly to people who post here, link to another site and ask for people to "digg" them.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 10:38 AM

Diggers...

Never been worth it to me. I wish they'd offer a sync only package for a quarter the price. Even a third.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by silentsnake09 View Post
WTF is up with all of these "digg my crap" posts lately?? Did MacNN get reported as being a free advertising board somewhere?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Never was worth the money.
+1!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

I'm still made at myself for keeping it as long as I did. The only thing I used it for was the online photo albums and the syncing between Macs. Syncing was nice but I don't mind doing it manually from time to time if ever and online albums are free online.

iDisk always sucked as it was slow as hell and unreliable.

.Mac online Mail was horrible though as it offered ZERO spam filtering so my mailbox was always full of junk.

You can keep your .Mac name for free forever for use in iChat so that is all I need.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 12:46 PM

Only syching is worth it.

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 01:16 PM

I've been using the email address for the past 4 years so can't be arsed with the ball-ache of switching my email address.

Plus my parents both have an email address as an add-on.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2007, 01:22 PM

*yawn*

Another digg spam thread.

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
*yawn*

Another digg spam thread.

-t
I say we "digg" them. With a "down" rating.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 02:38 PM

Let's just get this out of the way right now, in a friendly and civilized manner, before someone else gets you:

than |ðan; ðən|
conjunction & preposition
1 introducing the second element in a comparison : [as prep. ] he was much smaller than his son | [as conj. ] Jack doesn't know any more than I do.

then |ðen|
adverb
2 after that; next; afterward : she won the first and then the second game. • also; in addition : I'm paid a generous salary, and then there's the money I've made at the races.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 02:45 PM

I have a .mac account right now, but I won't be renewing it when the subscription runs out. I can get everything that it gives me for free.

As for showing loyalty to the Mac brand, I've converted 14 people to Macs (and counting). At an average cost of $1,200 per person, I've helped make Apple $16,800. There's my loyalty. Any additional cost to the several thousand dollars worth that I've bought from Apple, and I'm just getting screwed.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 02:54 PM

I totally agree, .Mac has not been keeping up with the value. They haven't really added anything significant in ages. They need to either cut the price in half or add some serious value to the package.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 13, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Never was worth the money. There's always been alternatives that do the same job for less (or no) money. In most cases .Mac is still easier and is better integrated with Mac OS X, but that does not justify the additional cost (to me at least).
Ding ding. The only people who payed for it were suckers. Ever.

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 11:29 PM

spam is it i just posted the link and said read this and digg it. I copied the whole think and put what i thought and said digg it if you want. get the stick outta your ass. iv decided to not renew btw lol.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
...i wouldnt mind moving off .Mac.

The only reason i'm still using .Mac is cause of email, which in all due respect should be free. honestly i fell like im being held hostage by .Mac email having to shell out AUD$139 every year.
+1

(Except the AUD$139 part)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 04:56 AM

Agreed about the syncing being the only worthy part. It's also still my main email account (although it is aliased from my own domain). I also use it for smaller backups (although with most that data synced between four macs (one offsite) anyway it's sort of redundant).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 05:01 AM

It's great for people like my mom who don't want to figure out how to use all the free alternatives.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
It's great for people like my mom who don't want to figure out how to use all the free alternatives.
Get a Flikr account and install the iPhoto flickr export plugin and it is petty much the same thing for posting pictures.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 01:26 PM

Whether you create your own web page with an individual layout and your own content or just dump pictures on flickr, there is a difference.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 01:34 PM

Using iWeb when you have a .mac account IS incredibly easy, but is it $100 easy? I still think no.

By the way, here's mine.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Whether you create your own web page with an individual layout and your own content or just dump pictures on flickr, there is a difference.
Ya $0 vs $100.

If the difference is worth it to you go nuts.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules